Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 stock ZX5 with an F2 CAI on order. I dropped in Bosch +4 plugs and cleaned my MAF sensor with alchohol (instructions found on this site) but I want to know what other REALLY CHEAP mods I can get to boost economy. I know the CAI can cost mileage IF I "get on it"; I don't plan to "get on it".

I've heard that ignition kits (coil,wires) can help for about $100. Anything else?

·
Registered
789 Posts
you could get an air freshener for like 85 cents. hahaha jk. you've already done the "cheap stuff". it only gets more and more expensive as you go. the cheapest things now would be a udp($120-$165) and cam gears(about 200 for a pair). everything else will be more expensive.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
i don't know of any other mods that fall into the categories of cheap AND boost economy... unless you got some miles on your car, change your fuel filter and do a fuel system treatment. jiffy lube does both for about 80 and it helped my economy. i had about 19k on mine at the time.

·
Jetsetter
6,656 Posts
^^^ do the fuel filter even if the car has 30,000 miles on it it only costs 10 bucks for the filter but its a PITA to change unless you have a lift or a pit to work over, other than that youve pretty much done the cheap stuff

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So would a new ignition kit help? The car has 72k miles on it BTW...

·
Registered
116 Posts
I wouldn't do the coil...just the plugs and wires. You can pick up a set of FR 9mm wires for about $35. It helped to smooth out my idle a bit. I have the Denso Iridium plugs which I really like, but most people will swear by the Autolite or Motorcraft DP plugs. Everyone seems to says the Bosch are crap.

If you have the stock air filter and box, I'd suggest putting an aftermarket intake in or simply changing the paper filter for a K&N. You'll see a little jump in gas mileage just for that.

I also have a cleaner and teflon additive added to my oil every 10,000 miles to clean the engine really good and put a good slick coating on it. Only costs about $40 for both.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Good synthetic oil can help a bit on the milage, but it isn't cheap 5-6 bucks a litre or more. Thats about all I can think of that is easy and cheap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What I meant by cheap

By cheap I was meaning under $200. I've seen some pretty crazy numbers in this forum. Those guys either are really single or have Stepford wives or something... I have to be able to "sell" these upgrades to the missus...

Someday I'll find where she hid my balls and then...

·
Registered
1,012 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Challenge to the Enthusiasts

Okay, I did some quick calcumalations...

Wires (no coil): $45
Catback: $239
UDP: $89
CAI: $80

Total: $453

6 mpg annual gas savings (at $3/gal): $453.63

That being said: What do you Focus Phenoms think the whole "she-bang" will save me in mileage? 6 mpg? More or less? I plan to drive with reservation to conserve but having the ability to scoot when necessary will be a bonus.

Amaze me with your collective wisdom, oh masters of the pocket-rockets... [thumb]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow... Did I stump the enthusiasts? Anybody have a guess on the improvement to fuel ecomony from the above mentioned mods? I need even a wild-ass guess to sell it to the missus...

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
I got better economy with just my intake....Now that the cat back is on I cant stay outta the gas....Doesnt bother me, still getting double, close to triple, the mileage of my 5.0. UDP would def help because there is less strain on the engine, meaning more power for you when you accelerate. Get the cat back last, seeing as its the most expensive thing there, and see how your gas mileage is before it goes on. I remember with just my intake at about 75 mph with a tail wind I got close to 45 mpg highway heading home for the Steeda Stampede last year.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the input. Do you mean that your mileage went DOWN as a result of the catback itself or because of your driving habits after bolting on more power?

What does the flex pipe do?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I could do that, but then I'd have to switch to being a Democrat and learn to s**k c**k...

I suppose I could have the ONLY Pious sporting an NRA license-plate and a "W" bumper sticker...

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
It went down cuz of my driving habits and the fact that I live about 1.5 miles from campus and about 2 miles from work, short trips drastically affect gas mileage. The flex pipe is a piece of the exhaust just above the front k-member. It connects the the cat and allows the engine to tq back and forth without breaking the exhaust piping. Its kinda like a desk lamp, it allows you to move the lamp itself but keep the base from moving (base being the back half of the exhaust and the lamp the engine).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well crap... Is the flex pipe a requirement with the MBRP catback and Ellinger UDP? Am I going to break my new exhaust without it do you suppose?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts