Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, as some of you know i just got a 05 zx4 st. I noticed today when it was cold/snowing out on my way to work the car would hesitate/jerk randomly. Seemed to happen more under 50% load but cant really say 100% sure. NO CEL or anything to tell me whats wrong. Did not happen after work 1 single time, so it seems like it mainly happens either when its really cold or snow/rain. But again cant say 100% sure that is why. I am thinking either spark plug misfire, coilpack, or something electric, maybe even timing chain?. Only had the card for about a month now and only have 82000 miles. Just wanted to get your opinions as to what might be the problem or if anyone else has seen this before.

·
FF Affiliate
31,171 Posts
Any mods on your engine , any one you know have a SCT xcal3 to do some datalogging with ? can be any xcal ( f150 , mustang etc ) but has to be for a Ford , I will be glad to look over the logs and give my opinions

Tom

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
car is bonestock as far as i can tell, not even a CAI. I have a Scangauge II that i use to monitor engine load, volts, and mpg. My f350 6.0 has a sct livewire but i dont believe either of them can datalog, only show current readings.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
May be a few days before i can get my livewire out of my truck since i have it all perfectly wired behind dash into my pillarpod. Are they are free software you can use like IDS but that is obviously not free, but by hooking up a laptop from OBD II to usb or even the bluetooth ones. Plus the car has not done it once in my last 3 30 min trips so it seems like its more of when it snows/rains possibly that it happens because it has still been just as cold out.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'm going to ask an obvious question, do you have traction control on or off when this happens?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Oh, and its coil on plug, no coil pack. A major misfire on one cylinder would certainly throw a cel. Could easily be a Maf or tps issue. Sometimes if a maf starts acting up you can unplug it and see if the problem clears up. The ecm will do its best to estimate incoming air. Check your plugs. Exhaust leaks really close to the engine can cause hesitation sometimes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Traction control is always on but it never flashes on dash when it happens. Def no exhaust leaks at least slightly noticeable. I will have to check a few things that you mentioned when ever it does it again if it will.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So today it is really snowy and windy as all hell. I've noticed this problem only happens when it is snowing/or raining, roads are wet, or drive through a gust of snow across the road. It will do it both with traction control on or off. I am thinking either a loose wire somewhere causing it to surge for a second or somehow sucking in rain/snow. I have no idea where to even start for this kind of trouble shooting. Also notice it still happens more often when below 50load

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would check 2 things. 1st, check your intake. Make sure everything is tight. There might be a leak somewhere the between the filter and MAF. Snowflakes/water hitting the MAF will cause a stumble. This has happened on my '11 Ranger, so I made sure the air filter cover was on tight. No problems since. I realize Focus intakes are much different than a Ranger's, especially Foci with "lifetime filters". 2nd, do you go through touchless car washes, ones with high pressure water jets? I had a problem with my Focus where ice built up in the intake. If you do use these carwashes, try not letting your idle in the wash during the winter. This issue may not be the cause of problem above, but keep it mind.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will try to check out the intake ASAP when it's not -10 outside and 40mph winds lol. Car was I have not gotten to even wash the car since I bought it only little over a month ago.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Scan for codes, prob. a pending one for misfire.

You can try plugs/coil boots first if old - may have to trace cylinder & see if the problem follows the coil when you switch it to a different cylinder - easiest way to check if one coil is going bad.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I am currently in the process of switching my fog lights to h9 bulbs. My passenger side bulb is fine. I just need to cut off the extra tab. But my driver side entire pigtail is missing as it is just wires laying there now. Could that possibly when it gets wet be shorting out my system causing it to cut out for that split second?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Symptoms are VERY similar to mine as a coil got worse, fine at times with misfire at others - only a couple times bad enough for a CEL.

Takes quite a few odd misses before even 'pending" code is set, and that doesn't light the CEL.

Check for pending codes, and swap coils between cylinders to see if the code follows the coil (misfire on 3, swap to 1 and see if 1 shows a pending code later).

Scan tool to read actual misfire count made my diagnosis easier in the end when the problem became more consistent. (wasn't throwing 4 coils at it on a guess)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts