Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving back from a friends house then I heard a knock from the engine but the "check engine" light wasn't on so I kept going then then car started loosing power until the engine shuted off and all the oil came out. The car had 52,0000 miles on it. The car was bought used with 32,000 miles and serviced every 6,000 miles. I took the heads out to see the damage and I saw a big hole in the block. Is the 2.0 sohc block that weak?
Now I'm thinking of getting a new engine.
I need some advice on a new engine for a 2003 ZX4.
Is it posible to swap a zetec engine or a SVT engine from the Zx3?

Here are some pics
This is the Head, as you can see the second was melted because of the friction

Me checking the melted piston

Engine bay with some pieces of the broken block

Close up

Half of the piston founded

Taking all pieces out

The hole in the block

Me and a friend pulling the piston

Trying to put all pieces together

Engine bay after taking the piston

Any help would be greatly apreciated

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
oh dear god man, what happen lack of oil or what?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car had the oil change recently and was checked two days ago. So I have no idea what happened, it obviusly had friction problems because the piston melted and the block wall broke in pieces. What amazed me is that i thought the engine block was better.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
maybe their was a issue with the delivery of some sort, but i do concur that maybe the block should have held up better

·
1fastfocus05
1,592 Posts
im sorry to see that man,,i never seen one melt like that...do u drive that thing hard or what?..i dont see any reason why u cant switch that one for an SVT,,,but u might want to call where ever ure going to get one at and ask them..they can tell u with there interchangeable parts book

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Carnage-cool! Gets my vote for most impressive meltdown!

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
yeah looks like a little meltdown........sorry had to say it. amazing how the pistion ring was able to fuze to the piston like that huh. try focus salvage.com I got my motor from them very good service knowledgeable blah blah good things to say about jermey I think he can help you out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already called my local junkyard and they had a SVT focus engine with 23,500 miles on it for $650.00 and a Zetec from a ZX3 for $550.00. I want to know if there will be swaping problems in terms of transmission compatibility, and computer. I can't believe how weak the block is, and I don't want to swap a new engine and have the same problem again. The engine was never beated up, the car only used for cruising around, I have something else to :)beat up and never had a problem.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
r.i.pm3 said:
I already called my local junkyard and they had a SVT focus engine with 23,500 miles on it for $650.00 and a Zetec from a ZX3 for $550.00. I want to know if there will be swaping problems in terms of transmission compatibility, and computer. I can't believe how weak the block is, and I don't want to swap a new engine and have the same problem again. The engine was never beated up, the car only used for cruising around, I have something else to :)beat up and never had a problem.
you might as well get the transmission and ecu while youre there[;)]

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
^^^ yeah, you'll definetely need the ECU with the SVT engine. Tranny? Your call, do a search here, there's been numerous tranny swaps...

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
This should be covered by the powertrain warranty.

The 2003's had a 100k mile powertrain warranty.

Incidentally, stuff like this is why i have an extended warranty.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Damn!

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"This should be covered by the powertrain warranty."

Unfortunately, I suspect warranty claims will be a bit difficult if the engine has been opened-up by someone other than a Ford, or other professional, mechanic.

But if you had a friendly dealr/service department, ya' never know...

P.S. I don't know if I'd call it a defect in the block, it looks like you might have thrown a con rod and, if so, it is not that unusual to hole the cylinder wall, particularly nowadays where they have been designing as nuch weight out of the vehicles for fuel economy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tomorrow I'm heading to the junkyard for the SVT engine and ECU. I also have a 3.3 V6 engine from a caravan and tranmision with the ecu that belongs to my brother. We did all measurements "90 cm from sides" and it fits perfectly and with some small welding we can swap it right into the focus. My only concern are electrical issues.
I'll keep posting pics of the proyect. Here in my home town a guy swaped a 5.0 V8 engine into his ZX3 and will post some pics soon.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
i would get the svt engine, so you wont have that many electrical issues. Get the ECU as well but also youll need the tranny and the pedals. And the full exhaust system, if you cant get that you could always go aftermarket. Good luck though, and yea if you brought it to ford now, they probably wouldnt work on it b/c you already took it apart yourself.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
It looks like the piston disintegrated, and then the rod rammed through the sleeve. That's my guess. I'd still try the dealer to see what they say. I'd definately ask the service manager what his ideas were. It wouldn't hurt them because Ford would reimburse the dealer. I think they might help regardless-- at any rate, you never know until you try.

I've seen a 440 in a Maverick, but a late model 3.3 in a Focus [screwy]

Definately ask Jeremy at FocusSalvage about the swapping. He's done all the good swaps. The SVT motor will fit other Zetec blocks, but I'm unsure about the SPI. You might want to also search for a wrecked car so you wouldn't have to go through a middle-man and you'd have all the parts there in case you needed something you didn't think of.

More power to ya!~

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
If you go with the SVTF engine swap, you will need not only the ECU but the wiring harness, tranny, linkages, and a host of other parts, it will require a lot of work! Good luck with it man!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I asked the question before, and I got a resounding no if your just gonna swap cylinder heads. the SPI block and Zetec/SVT head aren't compatible, however if you're changing blocks as well, then good luck to ya! Bummer bout the motor though...

-Honorsystem

1 - 20 of 33 Posts