Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Ford fans,
I have a 2007 ZX4 Focus. The cylinder head temperature sensor that is located on top of the valve cover has a rubber cup that is cone shaped. The CHT wires from the connector lead through this cup into the rest of the wiring harness. This cup popped off and the car began making a sound that made me think I threw a rod or something horrible. Upon inspection, the electrical connector was blown off and gone as well as this rubber cup. I replaced the CHT with a new part. Here is the main problem...there is compressed air coming up through this CHT sensor port. It is hot and smells like engine exhaust and sounds pretty loud. I don't believe there should be any reason air is coming up through this sensor port. All I see down in this port are female threads to accept the male threads from the sensor. I also can't find a replacement rubber CHT cup. Any ideas?

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
The spark plugs on either side of that sensor are in the same open space, time to pull the coils & check those!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Sailor, thanks for the reply. So you think that if the coils are bad then compression can come up through this CHT port?
I am also heading to a bone yard to see if I can even find a used rubber cone to replace the cracked one. Has part number but no parts house can make heads or tails of it...

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
No my friend, it sounds more like a spark plug blew out of it's hole.

One large void under the center of the valve cover for #2 & 3 spark plugs plus that sensor in the middle.

Hopefully one wasn't run in far enough for some reason and most of the threads are still good in the head.

That cover for the Sensor wire hole is a tough item to find as it normally comes taped onto the wiring harness. Don't know if it was avail. separate from Ford. Least of the worries right now, all it does is keep water & crud out of that hole.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, man thanks. It was a spark plug! I put new plugs in and it is running better! It is running period. One of the boots from the cool is cracked and the spring is wonky. I fixed the spring, put some electrical tape around the boot. I live outside if town so no one has parts. I'll forgo testing coils and assume new ones will be the best option.
I do appreciate you Sailor! I hope we can keep in touch.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
The good thing is that you can get new "boots" that come with the springs MUCH cheaper than new coils including them. (like < $10 vs. $100 type price differential)

As long as the coil didn't get damaged you can go that way instead.

Now that you found your fix, welcome to FF!
Hang out when you can & check out the site, we have some social & chat areas besides the tech sections for more fun.

·
Captain TMI
21,235 Posts
Moved to Technical Chat. This is the forum for discussing engine, trans, and body problems or technical issues.

Yeah, spark plug boots. The cost has come down, and those come with the spring. They typically last about 100k miles. You can order them online for about $3, and $5-7 in stores. To remove the coil from the boot, first remove the coil and boot. Then twist the boot so you break any seal it might have to the coil. Then fold the boot tip back towards the coil and that will work it off the coil on the other side. Sometimes you have problems simply pulling the boot off, so that's why I suggest folding it back to work it off the coil nipple.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank Dog, Jeebus and the Holy Smokes for this thread! I was 3 hours from home, in the middle of Buttmunch, Idaho when this same issue happened to me! I had NO CLUE why I was losing compression FROM A SENSOR! Luckily, I had cell signal and found this thread!

I limped back to the only gas station and bought a crescent wrench to remove my coils. The first coil had a spark plug just laying right underneath it. The coil boot was hammered and the spring was tweaked badly. I had no other tools and no one at the gas station had any either. I took a stiff piece of vacuum hose from the airbox and used it to finger tighten the plug back into place. I removed another coil and swapped the good boot on the tweaked spring, and vise-versa hoping I would make enough contact.

I started it up and there was a small, occasional miss but it was drivable. We tracked down an AutoZone 10 miles behind us and headed there in haste. I bought 4 new plugs and a small socket set. There was a 2nd plug that was loose!

After swapping in new plugs we drove home with the only issue being the occasional miss. Looking for new coil packs today.

Anyway... Just wanted to share and give thanks to the community!

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Thank Dog, Jeebus and the Holy Smokes for this thread! I was 3 hours from home, in the middle of Buttmunch, Idaho...
That was Funny, I have never seen anyone use Buttmunch as a location. Well done.

Always great to see a success story based on an old thread. Great job in your online search for a solution while stuck on the side of the road.

BTW those people you thanked were not involved in this thread previously, but they were apparently involved in your Holy Spirit of lucky Web Searches.

Side Note Story: Many years ago I lived in Alaska, and often did a 2 hour road trip into the sticks. State law requires you to pull over and help any stranded drivers. I kept a box of emergency supplies, gun, food and a few tools in the car at all times. After Alaska, I held onto this habit, but mostly just a few common tools. But I don't think I ever had a spark plug socket with me then or today. Guess I should add that socket for road trips.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts