Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking of buying a cheap exhaust system off ebay. Most exhaust systems on ebay are pretty cheap so I would like to get one for the ST. I am just looking for a cheap alternative to the systems out. There are more geared to the zx3 so I had a couple questions to see if it would be easy to retrofit one on my ST.

My first question is what is the difference between the zx3 to zx4 exhaust?

Second is it as simple as extending one of the pipes to fit?

·
Registered
776 Posts
How cheap are you talking? U can do what I did and go to muffler shop that has a mandrel bender, and have them custom fab one for you. Mine was 100 bux plus the muffler which was like $75. I don't have that muffler anymore, i'm running just straight pipe and tip, but if you go this route you could have a full exhaust system made and installed for around $175.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
how does it sound? must be loud with a header with no cats and no mufflers lol

·
Registered
776 Posts
It's loud. But I hade them put the tip about 1/2 inch out past the bumper so inside with the windows up isn't bad at all. When I first had it done I them put the tip flush with the bumper and it was loud inside and out, but it sounds good. It's very low, and at certain RPMS it sounds like a v-8 the way you can hear the cams turning over, just not as deep. Not ricey at all. I couldn't be happier with it. A guy one street over from me has the MBRP with the same motor and stock header and car. I can safely say my car is MUCH deeper and less raspy than his.

·
Registered
622 Posts
NoMoreAvril, dont' listen to slikirish, he obviously has no idea what he's talking about. Anyone who runs a car illegally with no cats or muffler isn't the kind of person to take advice from. If your a strictly race car, never on the street, then go for it. If you EVER drive on the street, keep it legal, do the cat and muffler. Cheap, expensive, all up to you, but keep it legal. Even the peeps that come from the hillbilly ******* states with no emmissions testing should be running legal systems.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Sorry I haven't been on here for a couple weeks, been doing the florida thing. You think just because a state doesn't have emissions testing then it's hillbilly? How about the state has better things to worry about instead of just badgering their residents with retarded laws. I'm sure this is going to start into another "to run cat or not" bs fight, but here's the truth...this is a public forum. The guy asked for an opinion and I gave him mine. They are called opinions b/c no one is right or wrong, I didn't say anything that I don't have personal experience with so i DO know what I'm talking about. Now obviously your opinion is different (and that's fine), no need to bash on other people, states etc. b/c they have a different opinion. State your opinion and end it with a period. No need for personal attacks. If you want to restrict ur car with a cat or run a WAY overpriced high flo cat then that's your decision, i prefer to save my money for another mod and not dump it all into one.

·
Registered
367 Posts
slikirish said:
Sorry I haven't been on here for a couple weeks, been doing the florida thing. You think just because a state doesn't have emissions testing then it's hillbilly? How about the state has better things to worry about instead of just badgering their residents with retarded laws. I'm sure this is going to start into another "to run cat or not" bs fight, but here's the truth...this is a public forum. The guy asked for an opinion and I gave him mine. They are called opinions b/c no one is right or wrong, I didn't say anything that I don't have personal experience with so i DO know what I'm talking about. Now obviously your opinion is different (and that's fine), no need to bash on other people, states etc. b/c they have a different opinion. State your opinion and end it with a period. No need for personal attacks. If you want to restrict ur car with a cat or run a WAY overpriced high flo cat then that's your decision, i prefer to save my money for another mod and not dump it all into one.

If your breaking the law your wrong! Only an ASS would run a car on a legal street without a Catalytic converter. Don’t you care about the environment at all? Let me see help destroy the environment a little more, or give my car 2-3 more HP?

·
Registered
341 Posts
For those who choose to run illegal exhaust it's all about them. They can care less about our inviroment and the future of this planet we call home. It will be thier children that suffer what they cause. So who gives a damn if the children of tomorrow can't breath and have a high rate of birth defects. Oh I hate kids too but I'll try not to [email protected]#% up thier world...

·
Registered
776 Posts
I'm sure I'm polluting SOOO much more than all the semi's out there that blow blow HUGE clouds of black smoke EVERYTIME they step on the gas. It's not the 4-bangers I'm worried about. As for calling me an ass, it's my personal decision. I assume you never break the law. You never speed, roll through a stop sign, enter a turning lane to soon or don't signal your turns, yea right. I guess we're all asses just alike then.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
i just wish icould have a performance header with a cat and a high flow cat and still be legal...my shop said even the high flow ones make you lose emissions

·
Registered
776 Posts
There was a thread on here where i guy was catless, but had a REALLY good tune and said he still passed the emissions test. Now he wouldn't pass visual inspection, but he passed the actual test. If that's the case, you could go catless, do the tune and still pass emissions testing. High flo cats are a joke. Absolutely no way they're really worth that much money. If i lived somewhere where i had to have an inspection, I'd save my $350 and just switch back and forth. Of course most of that inspection crap is just a state tax to get the state more money, not b/c they care about the safety of your car.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hey Mailman 666, good to hear another educated person on here. Losers, and I do mean LOSERS, with no cat all say "What's one more four-banger?" Tools everyone of them, it adds up people, to toxic air. Every state should inspect, of course some of the Hillbilly ******* states would then lose half of their cars because most of the people are too poor down there and drive some of the biggest wrecks around. Oh well! Keep it legal.

·
Registered
444 Posts
In my opinion if it is bad because a car does not have a cat then we shouldnt drive period. No matter what you do, when you run an engine there will always be that little bit that gets away into the atmosphere. I would have to say you condem the guy with the four cyl who got rid of a cat (when we have more than 1 and sometimes more than 2) but there are thousands upon thousands of big rigs that i see every day that bellow the big clouds of smoke into the air. Im sorry but im a hell of alot more concerened about him then say a brand new car that has no cat.

Also you should here your selves. You make it sound like he is about ready to shoot some one in the head. He gave his opinion and you practially accused him of murder and then said he was an dumb ass and basially a F&*)up. You could have responded much more ADULT like and been a little more polite instead of like a child. Its people like you who piss off every one with your emissions nagging (and i do meen nagging) If you were more polite and not such an a$$hole over the whole ordeal maby people would maby listen. But when I see some one acting like a jack ass like that I instantly tune them out! think about that before you start flaming people!!! If you expect people to listen treat them with respect and maby they will treat YOU with respect!

·
Registered
444 Posts
O by the way are you guys going to call me an idiot now because i gave my opinion?

·
Registered
341 Posts
sheesh, take a lude man. It's all good everyone is intitled by law need I say to thier opinion. Just some are rule followers and others are not. There is room for all of us.... hell just ask G.W. I'm sure he would tell you.

·
Registered
672 Posts
We kind of got off the track here. Back to the ST Exhause. I thought the ST was the "sporty" sounding Focus with the different (more performance type) exhause. I took one for a test drive and thought it sounded great. I, too, would like a quieter exhause, but can't find one that isnt the fart can ricey type sound.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Well i hate it when people start a bunch of crap and hove no respect for any one else....especally when they attack some one for practically no flippen reasen.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.