Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is a 2001 ZX3 DOHC zetec focus

This happened to me on 2 separate occasions in the last month...

After driving the car around and then stopping and turning it off (went into the bank/coffee shop) When I restarted the car, it couldn't hold it's idle and would stall unless I revved the engine. So I drove the car home on both occasions (always keeping my foot on the accelerator) I parked the car and turned it off. When I started the car up an hour later, the idle was fine as if nothing was wrong!

If it is the IAC, does anyone know what the total cost to replace the IAC is?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I would say to replace it yourself, if that happens to be the problem.

Closest I can find to a how-to --> http://web.archive.org/web/20070814095829/www.teamfocus.us/intakemanifold.htm

It is not difficult, but it is time consuming. Easily doable if you just take your time and watch what your doing. And I realize there is no text there, I'm working on adding some for our benefit.

But I would say to try and clean it first. I found that carb cleaner works well for cleaning and the Armor All works well for lubing it (don't ask me what possessed me to try that), but it's prolonged my IAC for a couple years so I would say it works pretty good. Let the Armor All sit in the IAC port over night and soak in real good. Then just start it up and let it burn the gunk out.

·
un1corn
2,703 Posts
I had the same issue as you for a while. I knew my IAC was perfectly clean though. Make sure to check the thick hose on the back of your intake manifold. If it's got a hole in it it could cause your issue. That was my issue when i had your specific problem. Pretty much every zetec at some time will have that hose rip open.

Also check the 3 wires that go to your coilpack. If one of them has broken from the plug it will cause crazy issues too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts