Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to gather information from people who have done the RWD swap for the ZX3's to help me make my swap slightly easier. Yes, I am swapping a 2006 Evo IX engine and tranny into a Focus. Yes, I know it is difficult, time consuming, and costly. And yes, I know I could have put the money to something "better" but I didn't. I chose to do this swap so I don't want to hear your opinion about it. I am here strictly for the purpose of gathering information of how to mod the rear end to put the AWD in. That's it. Sorry if I am coming off like an a**hole but I have made my mind up and already have the engine and tranny in the car so there is no turning back. Thanks in advance to anybody who gives me useful information.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of the Evo? No, I bought all the parts off eBay and didn't find a rear end. I was just wondering what rear axle or what people used for the rear. I plan on ordering a custom driveshaft and stuff like that.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
most people here that did rwd conversions are V8's and use a solid axle i think from a fox body mustang (but really anything is going to involve hacking the rear of the car apart)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I know people use mustang rearends but I think someone did a IRS swap into a speed3 Im not sure what parts they used

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I heard about the Mustang axle swap. I figured I would have to cut the spare tire pan out and weld in a flat piece. I'm just trying to figure out the easiest swap for this.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
ive heard an escape rear end is close, and a Jag x-type rear would be too. no action of course, just talk

might be worth looking into the rear from an AWD volvo s40, being a C1 chassis car, which is an improved version of the foci's c170. hopefully thatll be the closest

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
If you don't care to keep it 4 lug, use a old Ranger 7.5 rear, or an Explorer 8.8. 4.10 gearing is easy to find too. And those axles are a lot easier to find than a mustang.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Moved to Engine and Transmission Swap. Ford Focus Technical Chat is is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls. For other questions, and performance oriented discussions we have plenty of Forums. Thanks for posting!

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
cx7 rear end was used in that speed3 swap.... go figure.

id love to see some pics, it was one of the ideas I almost went with before deciding on one.

honestly if you cut up the rear end almost completely, any dsm etc rear end would fit up in there (anything really, but try for something with the similar rear track as the focus) all you would have to do is make the struts mount up and find a place to mount the subframe holding the diff and somewhere to put a fuel tank... at that point its just buttoning the new rear end up.

if you can't find matching wheels for different bolt patterns and offset, I've found the solution to be Bassett racings wheels (yeah they may look boring but I lik em) D hole wheels... available in a lot of patterns offsets and widths.

good luck with finishing up the project. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow. Everyone, you have all been a great help! Thank you all. And thanks for the link to the Mazda. That was pretty much what I was looking for. Again, thank you all very much. :)

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
A friend of mine is actually finishing up that mazda. If you want his number to pick his brain, pm me. Also, the fuel tank is from a Volvo, straddles the d-shaft. I have several pics of that car and he's real close if you would like for me to take measurements on crap. Only thing is, post some pics of your build, should be epic!!!!

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
there are a lot of people on here who talk and say this might work and that might work and this will work better. but no one will ever cut their car apart and do the swap. that is what you have to do. in order for you to know what you need to do you have to cut it apart and do it your self. no opinion from any one on here is really any good b/c no one on this site has ever done the swap. there are so many things that you will run into doing a swap like this that no one can ever plan for with out doing the swap. as long as you have the fab and car experience just cut it apart and build the thing.

i have done a turbo vette engine swap with a th400 trans, and 8.8 solid axle and have built all the kit myself. putting in irs awd would not be any different than this swap you would just need to build different mounting points for the rearend and you would have to have custom cv axles and drive shaft and engine mounts. the rest of the swap will be easier than a v8 b/c you are installing an engine in the same configuration as the stock one.

if you dont do this swap i will be getting another shell and doing it after my turbo v8 focus is running 8's in the 1/4.

as far as what rearend i would recommend i would use the stock evo. just get a wrecked evo and take every thing from it and use it all

·
low n slow
2,163 Posts
i would really recommend using the rear end and transfer case from the evo because i remember wheneveryone was doing the reasearch for a awd 2.5 or 3.0 one of the concerns was the gearing matching th transfer case or something. i have no experience in this because my focus hasnt got chopped up yet just something to look into

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Wow sweet swap, I know nothing about swaps though...

From Elyria eh? Definitely looking forward to seeing this monster

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
I'm trying to gather information from people who have done the RWD swap for the ZX3's to help me make my swap slightly easier. Yes, I am swapping a 2006 Evo IX engine and tranny into a Focus. Yes, I know it is difficult, time consuming, and costly. And yes, I know I could have put the money to something "better" but I didn't. I chose to do this swap so I don't want to hear your opinion about it. I am here strictly for the purpose of gathering information of how to mod the rear end to put the AWD in. That's it. Sorry if I am coming off like an a**hole but I have made my mind up and already have the engine and tranny in the car so there is no turning back. Thanks in advance to anybody who gives me useful information.
Where are you at? I'd love to stop by sometime and help with the progress.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I actually found a rear end from an Evo IX and I'm gonna have a shop in North Ridgeville do the work to mount it up. A grand and the rear is completely done and I already contacted a company for a custom driveshaft. Estimated to be about $350. I'm trying to get the mechanical stuff done before winter is here so I can use this as my beater with a heater. Haha.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts