Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok to start off I have a 2001 ZX3 Zetec 5spd and 124k miles with a CAI, Race Header, Magnaflow resignator with a side pipe, rear seat/side panels/spare tire & jack/carpet removed, and an Exedy clutch. Now on to the point. I have raced several SVT's around my area, all which were stock. I have raced 3 door and 5 door and it always ends up the same. On a good launch for both cars I pull about 1/2 length then the SVT will pull about 1 full length on me and when I get into 3rd I start pulling back. After that at about 80-90 they start slowly pulling on me. My question is with my car starting at 130chp and with my mods im assuming 145chp, and a SVT starting with 170chp why do I stick so well with them. Always been curious about it and finally posted. Alot say its my tranny that helps me out. If so I wonder how a SVT would react with my gearing. IDK I just wanted some more input on the situation. [dunno]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea but why do I basically stick all the way till I hit my flat spot, aka 4th gear. Alot of the time I pull back when im in 3rd gear. I have had a couple times I have pulled back ahead till 4th.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
between our SVT's not having good 1/4 mile gearing and the fact that your car is on a diet, your car can almost keep up. also, the SVT drivers may not know how to shift properly for straight line racing.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Also not to mention you have some pretty good mods on your car may put you only maybe 10-15whp behind an SVT and your cars' on a diet.

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
Also the SVT's have a Dual Intake Runners so that's why they start to pull away once you're in 4th. Also gearing and driver mod. I've raced several SVT's with similar results. It's not all about HP either [;)]

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Better question.... how can a 300hp Focus out run a 400hp Vette??

·
Registered
275 Posts
^^^ lol its weight?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
if you can get good power hook-up i think it could happen. how much do foci weigh? like 2400lbs? and a vet at least weighs 3200lbs. im just guessing on these #'s but they should be close.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
if you can get good power hook-up i think it could happen. how much do foci weigh? like 2400lbs? and a vet at least weighs 3200lbs. im just guessing on these #'s but they should be close.
2750 and a svt is 3000 i believe.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
I look forward to my first Vette Kill! I want to go to Nelson Ledges or VIR next summer and play with those guys!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I weighed everything I took out and it was roughly about 80lbs. Along with that the SVT I have been running alot lately is a very good driver. Its mainly a drivers race on who pulls on who down low. I weighed my car at about 2600lbs with 1/2 tank of gas. Dunno how accurate the scale was though it was just at a local co-op.

·
Registered
137 Posts
2750 and a svt is 3000 i believe.

SVT weighs in at 2750. But I think any focus would have to lose quite a bit to get down to 2400. With cars like ours (low hp) its all about the driver mod. Personally I suck, (and I have no intention of beating on my car... damn hanging revs) therefore I would get walked by cars with even less than 170 hp... at least through the first few gears.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well in all honesty I drive my car HARD when it comes to racing. Im more of a twisty road person but I can hold my own in a straight line. I just tend to get people off the launch and make them play catch up [;)] haha

1 - 15 of 15 Posts