Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have a 2003 ford focus zx3. Love the car except for one the which I believe to be is transmission problems. My car runs fine after a cold start but after heating up it begins to act up. Car will begin to shift funny and when approaching a stop then pressing the gas before a complete stop it will just "clunk" into second gear, you hear an actual thud. Doesn't do this until it's driven a while. After it's driven a while it also has a starting problem, it will engage then die immediately sometimes causing me to have to keep cranking it, also loud screech while engaging the ignition. Today I noticed my trans fluid is bright pink but has a burnt smell to it. Purchased at 130k miles now it 140k. Have changed the oil 3 times and has a new starter put on since I've had it. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech. Chat.

Welcome to FF

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I figured I had posted it in the wrong place. Has anyone else experienced any of these problems??? Input would be nice

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not much of a tech guy but I can try my hand.
Have you checked your trans fluid level? Fluid could need to be changed as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tranny fluid is where it needs to be. It's still a bright red color as well but when I smell it it has a burnt smell to it

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Hi. Many ATX owners never replace the fluid, neglect or by choice. Most FF's recommend it be done 1 or more times in the life of car. Has your car ever been done? Many owners with ATX problems have had luck changing the fluid and 1 or all 6 solenoids (a shotgun and often successful approach). Your call. Read some or all of these links->

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167830&highlight=p0750

http://www.amazon.com/Xs4z7h148aa-F...8&refRID=021AY3603DBSF6FSXSBT#customerReviews

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6618145&postcount=8

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the information will definitely take a flush into consideration. When you did yours did it help at all? And I purchased my vehicle used it was at about 130k and am not sure if the previous owners ever did a flush (probably not). My car only has these problems after it's warmed up which I donf know what would cause it. My car also has a screech when starting (NOT a belt) just does if when I'm turning the key. And then my car has a harder time starting after being ran a while and just seems weak after it's drivin a while, and it starts weak as well which is weird to me lol not sure if all of these problems go together but any input is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
When you did yours did it help at all?
Mine? No. I did it only because I believed it had never been done. Bought the car and wanted to do scheduled or preventative maintenance. My old trans fluid looked & smelled bad and I think it was never replaced until I did it.

You? Might have more than one problem. No worries, many older cars do. Even mine has one or more problem still (another story & another day). Keep going, do the trans fluid flush or just the basic pan drop, inspection, filter replacement and refill fluid to proper level. It is very very fun <jk> and can be messy, careful. Please get a torque wrench and do not over torque pan bolts. Even with rubber gasket, 70 to 80 in-lbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts