Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting to convert my 00 zx3 into an st for awhile but what all is involved in that? as far as i know the st is the most powerful stock focus out there so i want to get the most powerful stock focus engine and build on that. but good grief where can i even get the motor and tranny for it? how much would it cost? what all besides just the motor and tranny would have to be swapped? and no a v8 conversion is out of the question. with gas prices the way they are and i gotta drive my focus every day.

·
Registered
972 Posts
hmm since you have a zetec right now the process would be very involved. New tranny ecu, engine, motor mounts just to name a couple of things. For the price of everything involved you could do forced induction + nitrous and still have some money left for beer

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Salvage yard, car-part.com, you'll need a new ecu, custom motor mounts.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well the motor mounts shouldn't be a problem. i have friends that could help in that area. but im wondering more along the lines of whether or not the ST is the most powerful focus and if there is any1 out there who has done this swap before?

·
Sooooooooooo EURO
14,708 Posts
to my knowledge (which is limited) i dont think anybody had done a zetec to duratec swap there are a few people that have done stock zetec to svt zetec swap though that would probably be a better swap for you IMO since a much larger majority of the stock parts will still work.
as far as what focus is fastest? well the st will be faster off the line than an svt but the svt will win at higher speeds so which do you want to be?
and as others have mentioned for the price of the swap you could just boost the motor you have and be much much faster for cheaper

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
^I think when all is said and done you would have wished you didn't spend so much! I love my ST but for the money, get the turbo on you current engine and call it a day!

·
Sneeze
10,828 Posts
You talking ST as is the sold in america 4 door duratec ST conversion or like ST as in the new 5cyl turbo ST from europe conversion?

·
Sooooooooooo EURO
14,708 Posts
pretty sure he's talking dtec.......
if you want most bang for buck boosting your current motor is the best option because once you swap either the svt or st motor/tranny in you still dont have the interior brakes suspension wheels body kit etc so if its just power.....but if you want complete conversion its just cheaper to buy one sorry

·
Sneeze
10,828 Posts
Just thought i'd ask cuz he did say 'ST is the most powerful' so that was just an assumption on my part

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
^lol, if you didn't have any performance mods we could recreate the focus fest race...lol

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no no no not the duratec! im talking about the european ST. the one with the 2.5L 5cyl volvo engine! sorry for the confusion. but would that not be awesome? and just out of curiosity wouldn't it work to just pull the motor strait out of a volvo and get the actual ST ECU tranny and wiring harness?

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
^^ im pretty damn sure your swap would be harder than the one i'm undertaking.

boost your current engine and be done with it.

for the money you'd have to pay for an ST swap you could tear apart the Zetec and build it up to handle some ridiculous turbo setup.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well just for kicks and giggles lets say i found a euro ST junked for like $800. good motor wiring and ecu but bad tranny. track down another tranny for between $500 and $1500. between myself and some friends fabricating mounts and killing a few cases of booze over a weekend it could possibly be done. for at most $2500. I would have probably the first swap of its kind and the car would run well for at least 70k miles or more. If i got the forced induction kit i want the kit alone would be nearly 3 grand and neither i nor any of my friends are going to even touch the idea of installing a turbo so thats another $500+ for the install and then knowing my lead foot like i do the motor would be blow in 6 months or less. however since im fairly new to the focus tuning area im looking for any advice from more experienced people than myself. if any1 knows of a great fairly reasonably priced turbo or supercharger kit and a place in north carolina that specializes in building/tuning foci then please let me know about that as well. i can be swayed from my madness[screwy]

·
Sooooooooooo EURO
14,708 Posts
well just for kicks and giggles lets say i found a euro ST junked for like $800. good motor wiring and ecu but bad tranny. track down another tranny for between $500 and $1500. between myself and some friends fabricating mounts and killing a few cases of booze over a weekend it could possibly be done. for at most $2500. I would have probably the first swap of its kind and the car would run well for at least 70k miles or more. If i got the forced induction kit i want the kit alone would be nearly 3 grand and neither i nor any of my friends are going to even touch the idea of installing a turbo so thats another $500+ for the install and then knowing my lead foot like i do the motor would be blow in 6 months or less. however since im fairly new to the focus tuning area im looking for any advice from more experienced people than myself. if any1 knows of a great fairly reasonably priced turbo or supercharger kit and a place in north carolina that specializes in building/tuning foci then please let me know about that as well. i can be swayed from my madness[screwy]
what sort of power output are you looking for? if your looking for a specific power output (say 190-220whp) then the easiest way to do it would be to slap a powerworks or a jackson racing supercharger with a big boost kit on, either of these would be much I REPEAT much easier than doing a complete motor swap. All that’s really involved for supercharger is swapping your stock manifold for the one with the supercharger attached to it and then running a new serpentine belt and thats really all there is too it (yes theres a few other small things) plus both of these come with the tuning and everything you need to make it work perfectly right out of the box and they are tuned extremely safely there is no way to blow them up unless you really really abuse the car as in no oil changes, not going slow and giving it a few minutes to warm up before flooring it etc.....if your familiar with your focus and have a couple mechanically inclined buddies to help you can do either one of these installs in an afternoon if you work hard at it or you could do it in a weekend very very easily
there is absolutely no way you are going to do a motor swap in a weekend unless you have a machine shop in your back yard and friends to help you thats IMO because obviously anything is possible but you have to consider that every single piece on the euro st focus is different from yours, you wont have any idea if the fuel system or suspension or mounting points will match up or heck even if the motor will fit between our focus frame rails, the exhaust certainly wont fit so your gonna need a custom exhaust its also possible you’d need a custom header to clear the firewall…..ask I <3 my zx3 he can tell ya how hard motor swaps are, h’s on his second summer of working on his motor swap and he’s just now getting to the point where he’s ready to drop the motor in….you have to allow lots of time for a project like this I mean shoot it could take an entire weekend just to fab up the header if your making it right (it took 3 days 7 hours a day for my custom exhaust)
yes the swap would be awesome and totally unique but why do you want to do that swap? You haven’t really had any reasons for it besides it would be totally unique which is true it would be but if your just looking for an easy way to make your focus faster a motor swap (no matter how cheap the engine is) will definitely be more costly than boosting the engine you have now if your doing it because you want something different than the motor swap will definitely be that but if its just power you want I would have to advise you to pick an easier motor to swap in or to boost what you already have…
hopefully this didn’t sound to harsh but I’m just trying to give you an idea of all the extra little things you don’t think about until halfway through the swap at which point if your car is your daily driver and you need it by Monday morning for work your pretty much SOL hence why I recommend the boosted route instead
if there is more we can do to help your or change your mind one way or another let us know!

·
Sooooooooooo EURO
14,708 Posts
dont get me wrong though i would love to see this swap happen but a could rule of thumb is to include about 800-1000 extra in the cost for all the little nickle dime things you dont think about so definately make sure your completely committed to the swap before you begin! nothing worse then having a half way swapped car and running out of funds/motivation/time

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thank you very much klodkrawler. I suggest big brownie points for you. My power goal is somewhere between 250 and 300. obviously more is better but i have to be realastic. i just really wanted that swap simply for the originality if nothing else but i have successfully been talked out of it. myself and 1 other friend of mine did a K series swap out of an acura rsx into a 95 civic about 3 years ago when there were absolutely no kits around for it. it was probably the first of 5 of its kind anywhere at the time. we had to fabricate all the mounts and paid a fella he was tight with $350 for a hand made header and custom exhaust. the day after we finished we were walking away from gt stangs with 5 people in the car and untuned. i guess i was just wanting some of that same magic for myself...[mecry] and i want to walk all over his ass too. thanks for talking me out of what would have probably been a really really bad day.

·
Sooooooooooo EURO
14,708 Posts
i'm sure it would be possible lol but its not going to be nearly as easy as a honda swap we focus guys dont seem to get the lego-ease when it comes to motor swaps like the hondas

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
if any1 knows of a great fairly reasonably priced turbo or supercharger kit and a place in north carolina that specializes in building/tuning foci then please let me know about that as well. i can be swayed from my madness[screwy]
Um, isn't Tom in NC??? he's argueably the best tuner for our cars if not the best in the US!! (Not to put u other tuners down, just have really only heard of Tom!!)

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WHA?! tom!! where you at?! hep me hep me. you da man and if u in NC i come to you. (yes i talk stupid when i get really excited)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts