61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
Now I'm stuck on Tire sizes.....
205/65-16 or 215/60-16
Only .3 difference in height and .4 difference in width
Might find some used ones in either size and see how it goes.
Geolandar AT comes in the 215.
All the 205's I'm looking at would be Touring tires

·
Registered
392 Posts
We run Hoosier 185 65 15, pretty much all rally cars are on 15's, 16's have been non existent for years. All your standard rally wheels come in 15's Braid, Sparco, Method. If you were local I would give you a set to practice on. I love the Hoosiers, they have been great on stage. Keep on the good work

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
We run Hoosier 185 65 15, pretty much all rally cars are on 15's, 16's have been non existent for years. All your standard rally wheels come in 15's Braid, Sparco, Method. If you were local I would give you a set to practice on. I love the Hoosiers, they have been great on stage. Keep on the good work
I know 15's are proper rally wheels, but this isn't a racecar. It's my daily driver. Even I have to keep reminding myself that. I'm just goofing off with this build.
I have a decent set of 16's already. Also, I'm going to put the SVT brakes on it and I know the 16's will clear

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Dang Summit sent me the wrong coilover sleeves. Sent me 7" instead of 5".
Part numbers are correct, but they were packaged wrong it looks like

·
Registered
392 Posts
I know 15's are proper rally wheels, but this isn't a racecar. It's my daily driver. Even I have to keep reminding myself that. I'm just goofing off with this build.
I have a decent set of 16's already. Also, I'm going to put the SVT brakes on it and I know the 16's will clear
SVT fronts are not really needed. I run mk 1.5 fronts, actually fiesta ST but same size rotor and rear svt set up. Bigger fronts are wasted energy imho. That opens up all the 15 wheels and tires with adequate brakes., Could of swore the title said "rally build" ?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
SVT fronts are not really needed. I run mk 1.5 fronts, actually fiesta ST but same size rotor and rear svt set up. Bigger fronts are wasted energy imho. That opens up all the 15 wheels and tires with adequate brakes., Could of swore the title said "rally build" ?
Thank you for your input. Title also says "Street Beater". Its more of a "Rally Inspired" daily driver and I say in my first post, this is not a racecar build.

I want the bigger brakes.... just because I want the bigger brakes. I already have the 16's, so that's what I'm running.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Worked on the car a little over the long weekend.
Started prepping the hood for paint.
Got my Cougar wheels painted and some tires mounted up.

Got my new springs on the old mock-up struts.
Still waiting for my threaded coilover sleeves, but the car sits right where I want it with the fixed adapters I made. Now I gotta cut on my new SVT struts.

Front now has better droop travel and rides really nice over the bumps.

Also got the Wagon springs and new SVT shocks on the back. TheNorm's setup was to cut about 2 coils off them to get it where he liked it. I ended up cutting 3 coils off mine. Sits about 1" higher than stock ZX3 springs and a lot stiffer. Originally the spring is supposed to be 166lb rate. After cutting off the coils it's probably somewhere around ~225 ish according to the online calculators.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
The tires I picked up used from a local shop. They are 215/60-16 and I got them cheap so I'm trying them on for size.
Rear wheel is not centered in the wheel well. It really shows with bigger tires. This has always bugged me on this car. I'm addressing that this week. I'll post what I come up with

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Made these plates to move the rear spindle back 1". Also moves down for 1/2" of lift and the plate is 1/2" thick so it will widen by that much. Now the tire is more centered in the wheel well.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Put some miles on the car this weekend. Rides really nice. Takes the bumps pretty well. No tire rub.
Just need to finish painting the hood for now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
How hard was putting in the svt suspension kit? My kit will be here soon. Did you have to compress the spring before installing? Never did this part before sorry for all the questions.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
How hard was putting in the svt suspension kit? My kit will be here soon. Did you have to compress the spring before installing? Never did this part before sorry for all the questions.
It depends which kit you have. If the springs are already assembled on the struts, then No you don't need a spring compressor.

Everything bolts on

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Finally getting around to painting the hood of this beater. New hood came in black primer years ago and I never painted it. Well I finally decided to throw a cheap paint job on it. Been about 20 years since I did any paint/body work. It's not like riding a bicycle LOL.

For the purpose this car serves it doesn't need to be nice. Just all the same color is good enough. Part of me really wants to take my time on it, but I should be spending my time on other projects. The Orange Peel is gonna bug me bad enough at some point though HAHA

Before

Tractor Supply paint isn't too bad. Its good enough for this car. Anyone hungry for Oranges? LOL

61 - 80 of 84 Posts