Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a stock ZX3 clutch handle all NA boltons? I have the basic's now with no problems. My car is a 2002 with 58k miles.
I know reving it high and slipping it from the line will kill or shorten the life of any clutch. I normally pull out easy and if I'm feeling it and the time is right. I hammer it from there and roll through the gears. I never speed shift.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
well don't quote me but i think i remember hearing that the stock clutch can handle upwards of around 160 hp. but after a while of gettin on the factory clutch it will wear out a lot quicker than an aftermarket clutch. that is a very expensive project if you burn it. if you know u are going to go na and want more power, why not start from the ground up and assure that your car can actually put that power to the ground instead of revvin the tranny and motor out. my clutch is feelin like its wearin on me, i plan on getting a spec stage 2 clutch and fidanze lightweight flywheel, i just need to find a way to install them. i don't really wanna pay a lot for it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have good tires now and the clutch is fine. I would like a new set of light weight wheels but that will have to wait. I won't do a light weight flywheel. I had one on my turbo miata. It sucks for city driving. Later if I need a clutch I would have the flywheel resurfaced maybe loose like 1lb. I've assisted on two miata clutch installs. Never did a front wheel puller. Motor mounts may be needed later. A LSD would be nice.

·
teh tranny killer
3,130 Posts
^ with your mods i see no realy need for an lsd unless your a diehard autox dude...and as for the clutch, ive seen more of a problem with the svt clutches than with the zx3 clutches, mine has NEVER slipped and im always bangin the crap outa it (60k miles) the one thing i have had mess up on me is the flywheel, when they replaced it they said quote "more hot spots on it than the sun" so, my dunno [dunno]

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well my last front puller with some balls was a 95 hatch with a JDM GSR. I could launch it pretty well and it had top end power. Before that was my spec V. She had TORQUE! She launched well and would chirp in 3rd gear. My focus seems to roast the tires easily pulling out and taking corners ends up in my user name. I'm learning better control through.
Can you have a stock ZX3 flywheel turned? I've done this on a miata. Took off 1 lb. not much I know. But I hate lightened flywheels.

·
teh tranny killer
3,130 Posts
^ yea its called the ford racing flywheel, but just a reworked stock flywheel but weaker....come to think of it, im not sure if they 'turned' it or replaced it, im sure you can do that though

·
Registered
743 Posts
you will be fine with the stock clutch....i have every mod you can think of...with 10.5:1 compression...with a lsd and 8lbs flywheel, i put alot of track time with hard launches...even in the street....stock clutch is rated at 200hp

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Definately, I just wanted to know what kind power and abuse the stock one would handle, now that I'm modding. I've been toying with the idea of Powerworks supercharger.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
well if you're going FI, then your stock clutch will be gone relatively quickly. the stock one doesn't like FI too much.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, No doubt it will die faster with FI. It would give me an excuse to add sometype of LSD to help put the power down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.