Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys i am about to replace the shock and struts on my car and add lowering spring, I am trying to find out if i can use oem replacement or do i need to find something shorter due the drop . If this is in the wrong place can you please repost as needed

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here is a link to the suspension overhaul thread for reference: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198264

To answer your question, OEM shocks will work with lowering springs, but will not offer the ride quality of a purpose-built shock. OEMs will also wear faster because they are cycling in a more compressed state than they were designed for.

I had this problem with a Mazda Protege. The lowering springs gave it a nice stance, but during long drives the wheels would eventually grind in the wells because the shocks weren't rebounding enough. The shock's valving should match the lowered height and new spring rate.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think my shocks are shot on my 2002 zx3...bought tires at first of year...all are good except right back...its a racing slick n i wasnt aware ...untill other night...i bought fishtailed off in a ditch...thought it was another bearing...but found out when i looked at tire...i was thinking they were all the same tread...wouldnt that be problem with one tire wearing down faster?....i figured where it wasn't grippin road as it should..idk...i just know its bald af

1 - 3 of 3 Posts