Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Lol
You need to pay attention before you try and slam someone
I stated it wasn’t displaying anything “You” mentioned
I also stated it’s doing the same thing in overdrive that it’s doing with overdrive off. I never said it was fine, I said a family friend whom is a mechanic put his obd on the car and didn’t pull any codes. So, that being said You are not someone that should be on this forum giving “advice” when in all actuality all you have done with me is argue and nit pick because you weren’t paying attention.
I truly hope you never have Children
If it was my car I would do a full flush with synth ATF...along with a new filter...then add Lubegard additive. By full flush I mean replacing the entire volume of ATF by way of the line at the radiator. Since you don't work on cars..not sure if you can get this done by a mechanic. This MIGHT loosen things up enough to get it functioning again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If it was my car I would do a full flush with synth ATF...along with a new filter...then add Lubegard additive. By full flush I mean replacing the entire volume of ATF by way of the line at the radiator. Since you don't work on cars..not sure if you can get this done by a mechanic. This MIGHT loosen things up enough to get it functioning again.
Thank You for the advice.

I replaced both solenoids A and B (I had these on order as a Just in case) as well as a full transmission fluid flush, filter swap, even went so far as to reset the computer. The issue is unfortunately still there. I was referred to a reliable shop for repairs. (I called several before and after speaking to them) All that I spoke to told me the same thing, Clutch Packs need to be replaced. Which is a $2000 repair. I'm going to look into how this is done and what it will require. I may be able to do it, might not, not sure

Now my only issue is saving the money to get this done.....

·
Registered
16,335 Posts
Posts #12 and #19 and what I said about solenoids and trans shop actions.

May well not require new clutches at all unless driven long enough slipping to fry them.

Trans end cover comes off with trans still attached to motor but dropped way down on trans end and then you service the pieces needed with trans like that.

Look up 4F27E and changing 2-4 band on youtube video and very close to the same work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Posts #12 and #19 and what I said about solenoids and trans shop actions.

May well not require new clutches at all unless driven long enough slipping to fry them.

Trans end cover comes off with trans still attached to motor but dropped way down on trans end and then you service the pieces needed with trans like that.

Look up 4F27E and changing 2-4 band on youtube video and very close to the same work.
Ok, that video describes exactly what I’m experiencing, Thanks for that!
The part in question, the 2 4 band - is that the name of the actual part or is it called “overdrive band assembly “?
Pretty sure I can do this on my own I’ll just need to pick up jack stands and a torque wrench

·
Registered
16,335 Posts
Need to be careful there, I am describing 2 totally different issues that can easily be confused with each other. The work path is close to the same though. Need to look at both end cover and the band condition while in there.

To begin with yes, the 2-4 and OD bands are the same part, there is only one band in the trans.

Issues with 2 and 4 is band problem. Problems with 3 can seem to be there as the 3 operation is affected on both ends by 2 and 4.
Issues with 3 and 4 with 2 working fine is direct clutch and points at the end cover wear. The direct clutches will be dead if driven long enough too, the leak at the cover kills them. But you can even do them as they are exposed by tearing down there.

If band it may only need a longer bolt, the anchor bolt comes in several lengths and you change to the next longer bolt when the band begins to slip. The longer bolt then makes band grip a little tighter. The band has been known to crack one end of it from time to time too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So, if I understand correctly (you went full blown mechanic on me) I may have one of several different issues?
The band
Anchor bolt
Leak at cover
Direct Clutches
Or all of the above

I’m in a position where I can probably do this work yet I can’t keep my car off the road while I wait for parts. I’m driving the vehicle now just babying it at shift point

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Actually it just dawned on me I may not be able to do this as there's a spring in the way of all of this. Unless its something i can loosen and swing out of the way?

·
Registered
16,335 Posts
Trans is behind spring, nobody removes it, more an issue of being able to drop trans low enough to clear the inner fender chassis once tire/wheel and inner fender liner removed. If needed you remove ball joint from lower strut and then swing strut out of the way after loosening the 3 top nuts.

In answer to your question, at higher mileages I for one would be going through ALL of those listed things as possible. Including pulling reverse and direct clutch packs apart to look at the steels and clutches for undue wear. No sense in half doing it but how I work, you do what you want.

FYI, to get to the band anchor bolt the battery and battery tray must come out, you get to the bolt under tray.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Trans is behind spring, nobody removes it, more an issue of being able to drop trans low enough to clear the inner fender chassis once tire/wheel and inner fender liner removed. If needed you remove ball joint from lower strut and then swing strut out of the way after loosening the 3 top nuts.

In answer to your question, at higher mileages I for one would be going through ALL of those listed things as possible. Including pulling reverse and direct clutch packs apart to look at the steels and clutches for undue wear. No sense in half doing it but how I work, you do what you want.

FYI, to get to the band anchor bolt the battery and battery tray must come out, you get to the bolt under tray.
I get what your saying regarding diving into it deeper while your in there yet unfortunately I don’t have your knowledge level.
considering what’s going on with the vehicle can you say with certainty that the band is my problem?
I only ask because it seems like today the issue showed up in other gears. I don’t want to do any major damage so I’m garaging the car for now
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
16,335 Posts
No I have never said that, direct clutch hydraulic circuit if you truly described symptoms right (3 and 4 slipping). Band will not affect 3 at all. That hydraulic leak can even mess with low and reverse if getting worse. I just meant that since there you should look at band too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
No I have never said that, direct clutch hydraulic circuit if you truly described symptoms right (3 and 4 slipping). Band will not affect 3 at all. That hydraulic leak can even mess with low and reverse if getting worse. I just meant that since there you should look at band too.
ok, in your opinion what is causing my issue? Is it something I could repair without taking it to a shop, taking the transmission fully apart? Please remember I'm not as knowledgeable as you.

·
Registered
16,335 Posts
(Sigh)..............are we going to do this again? You are now asking me to make judgement on you doing the work when I can't even get english across to you.

Go back to post #14 and #15 and think 164K miles to wear that end cover out. They ALL do it at some point and you are likely there. If not then you have described symptoms incorrectly. Could be a few other problems too but no way are you able to handle those at the rate we're going.

If you are looking for a guarantee it all turns out OK I can't help you, too much of it depends on you and your skillset.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
(Sigh)..............are we going to do this again? You are now asking me to make judgement on you doing the work when I can't even get english across to you.

Go back to post #14 and #15 and think 164K miles to wear that end cover out. They ALL do it at some point and you are likely there. If not then you have described symptoms incorrectly. Could be a few other problems too but no way are you able to handle those at the rate we're going.

If you are looking for a guarantee it all turns out OK I can't help you, too much of it depends on you and your skillset.
Ok, once again your not paying attention. Re-read my last post, nowhere did I ask you what I could or couldn’t do.
At this point it doesn’t matter, you’ve changed from one thing to another more times than I care to count. I’ll take my chances with someone that listens and actually pays attention.
Once again do Everyone a favor get off this website and don’t offer Anyone any of your supposed “advice”

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,397 Posts
Ok, once again your not paying attention. Re-read my last post, nowhere did I ask you what I could or couldn’t do.
At this point it doesn’t matter, you’ve changed from one thing to another more times than I care to count. I’ll take my chances with someone that listens and actually pays attention.
Once again do Everyone a favor get off this website and don’t offer Anyone any of your supposed “advice”
AMC has helped more people on this forum than probably anyone on here. Yes he can be gruff. I would suggest listening.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
AMC has helped more people on this forum than probably anyone on here. Yes he can be gruff. I would suggest listening.
Perhaps you should read what’s been written before you post. And just to let you know there is a difference between gruff and outright stupidity

·
Registered
16,335 Posts
Post #32.....

'Is it something I could repair without taking it to a shop, taking the transmission fully apart?'

Post #34.....

'Re-read my last post, nowhere did I ask you what I could or couldn’t do.'

We've been over you being at war with yourself before. Post #19.

At this point you cannot be helped, you have proven to NOT have the skills to do it. Pay someone instead. You do not have the attention span to cover DIY multiple process work, much less remember what you just did. You'd think a sentient being would go back and reread what he just posted to avoid looking like an idiot with a response that makes him eat sh-t, but no way, vote for Trump it is. Way too much attitude there to ever complete complex work too.

I will most definitely be leaving you alone and luck with your issue (which is absolutely NOT the car).

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have the same transmission. One cannot buy these insights anywhere. Thanks for the write-ups and documentation.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts