Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I read a very lengthy post on this and to be honest I'm a little confused. My issue i s this:
2005 Ford Focus ZX3
2.0 Liter Engine
Automatic

When driving the car I go from 1st to second fine then when I'm supposed to go from 2nd to third the rpm's go up (engine revs) and it will eventually shift into 3rd gear. If I let my foot up off the gas it will shift a little easier. Tonight on the way home I started the car and put the Overdrive "On" and tried it that way. The issue was a little better yet not as pronounced.

By the by, I have never flushed the transmission fluid or changed the filter. Not something I thought about doing. I will correct that moving forward.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? From all the info I've read I'm a little unsure if this is do to shift solenoids, bands in the transmission or dirty fluid.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Ok, so I read a very lengthy post on this and to be honest I'm a little confused. My issue i s this:
2005 Ford Focus ZX3
2.0 Liter Engine
Automatic

When driving the car I go from 1st to second fine then when I'm supposed to go from 2nd to third the rpm's go up (engine revs) and it will eventually shift into 3rd gear. If I let my foot up off the gas it will shift a little easier. Tonight on the way home I started the car and put the Overdrive "On" and tried it that way. The issue was a little better yet not as pronounced.

By the by, I have never flushed the transmission fluid or changed the filter. Not something I thought about doing. I will correct that moving forward.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? From all the info I've read I'm a little unsure if this is do to shift solenoids, bands in the transmission or dirty fluid.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Before you go changing fluid/filters, etc, have you checked the fluid level?

Paul

·
Registered
16,356 Posts
Mileage?

Do you ever change your engine oil?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paul, yes I have checked the Trans fluid level, it was fine. No loss - didn't smell burnt..

AMC49 Sorry should have included the mileage 164k and yes I change the oil every 5000 miles. I use synthetic oil when I do change it.

·
Registered
16,356 Posts
So how often do you change the trans fluid?

At that mileage a worn direct clutch circuit is a very real possible issue and would act like that. It comes from wear in the driver end trans cover. Common problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So how often do you change the trans fluid?

At that mileage a worn direct clutch circuit is a very real possible issue and would act like that. It comes from wear in the driver end trans cover. Common problem.
As far as I’m aware it’s been changed twice, not by me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To add to this, I drove to work this morning (15 minute drive) with the overdrive off and it did the same thing it does with overdrive on. Not sure if that helps.

·
Registered
16,356 Posts
It doesn't, because you have not really said what that 'same thing' is. First post says shifting up but 4th does not shift into anything higher.

If it makes any more sense both 3 and 4 must have the direct clutch locking solid to work right.

If you had ever been paying attention the issue often announces years before it ever shows solid as a slight engine rpm flareup for a fractional second when stone cold in the winter say on a slow roll parking lot. 2-3 will slip just for a second commonly one time and then stop. It can do it for years before it gets serious. The one slip is while filling up leaked fluid out of the direct apply passages, the wear let it leak out when car was parked.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, never said anything about 4th gear.

“When driving the car I go from 1st to second fine then when I'm supposed to go from 2nd to third the rpm's go up (engine revs) and it will eventually shift into 3rd gear.”

That would be the “same thing” I was referring to. Does that help?
And no I did not pick up on it slipping for a second years ago. Not a mechanic hence the reason I was looking for some advice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Paul, yes I have checked the Trans fluid level, it was fine. No loss - didn't smell burnt..

·
Registered
16,356 Posts
Post #7...........where I got it from.

'...it did the same thing it does with overdrive on.'

Overdrive being 4th gear, just so you know why I mentioned 4.

You don't have to be a mechanic to detect slipping, you've done it here I think it's safe to assume. I don't have your issue but both Focus I have have done the slipping (actual term is a flare) now for years, waiting for it to get worse to fix it.

Not band as band is 2 and 4. Not likely to be a solenoid either as they are all OFF in D3.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Post #7...........where I got it from.

Overdrive being 4th gear, just so you know why I mentioned 4.

You don't have to be a mechanic to detect slipping, you've done it here I think it's safe to assume. I don't have your issue but both Focus I have have done the slipping (actual term is a flare) now for years, waiting for it to get worse to fix it.

Not band as band is 2 and 4. Not likely to be a solenoid either as they are all OFF in D3.
Understood, then what could be causing this?

·
Registered
16,356 Posts
Already said. End cover of trans supports the full weight of the reverse/direct cylinders and it wears over time from supporting that weight, there are reverse and direct hydraulic circuits that run in grooves on the stub end of cover that supports that weight, they wear out out to leak at one or both of the circuits. Check your going into reverse, if going in is with any delay or a soft bump instead of a firmer one it's showing there too.

·
Registered
16,356 Posts

Middle pic there, those grooves arrowed. The bigger OD pair are for reverse clutch, the smaller for direct clutch. They wear and then the plastic seal rings that run in them can distort out of shape to leak pressure and then trans slips. Trans fluid at high pressure runs between each of those pairs of rings, the rings seal it in. Any leaking past a minimal normal amount and you're done.

Known problem on this trans with high mileage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Already said. End cover of trans supports the full weight of the reverse/direct cylinders and it wears over time from supporting that weight, there are reverse and direct hydraulic circuits that run in grooves on the stub end of cover that supports that weight, they wear out out to leak at one or both of the circuits. Check your going into reverse, if going in is with any delay or a soft bump instead of a firmer one it's showing there too.
I just checked going into reverse, nothing noticeable, no delay, , no bump went right into gear.

·
Registered
16,356 Posts
Sometimes one is affected and not the other.

And you always feel a bump as they go into gear D or R or it is soft and what I described. The firmer that bump is the better shape trans is in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sometimes one is affected and not the other.

And you always feel a bump as they go into gear D or R or it is soft and what I described. The firmer that bump is the better shape trans is in.
Well, took the vehicle to a friend of the family last night and he put his obd scanner on it and it didn’t produce any codes. Too add to that I have not experienced any of the issues you described. Not sure what to do from here but I have a feeling a visit to the transmission shop will be soon.

·
Registered
16,356 Posts
From post #1........

'...the rpm's go up (engine revs) and it will eventually shift into 3rd gear.'

Post #7........

Re-verified in post #9. I pushed for it.

Post #16.......the reverse bump is largely missing.

'...no bump (in reverse) went right into gear.'

To whit..........

'Too add to that I have not experienced any of the issues you described.'

???!#?

At this point I ask, are you a Trump voter? Truth is not truth? Because at this point your argument seems to be with yourself. Why do so many of you deny what you yourself just said? Now you are saying the trans is working fine. So why do you now need the transmission shop?

Regardless, the shop if typical will milk you for solenoids that do nothing there, I looked up the action in the 4F27E service manual. Then it will come down to change the transmission next, if they don't go there instantly. I rebuild ATX just so you know and never pay ever for max amounts like that. You don't get trans codes on a simple rpm flare, they are purposely damped out. That fix might cost me maybe $75.

Luck and I will leave you alone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
From post #1........

'...the rpm's go up (engine revs) and it will eventually shift into 3rd gear.'

Post #7........

Re-verified in post #9. I pushed for it.

Post #16.......the reverse bump is largely missing.

'...no bump (in reverse) went right into gear.'

To whit..........

'Too add to that I have not experienced any of the issues you described.'

???!#?

At this point I ask, are you a Trump voter? Truth is not truth? Because at this point your argument seems to be with yourself. Why do so many of you deny what you yourself just said? Now you are saying the trans is working fine. So why do you now need the transmission shop?

Regardless, the shop if typical will milk you for solenoids that do nothing there, I looked up the action in the 4F27E service manual. Then it will come down to change the transmission next, if they don't go there instantly. I rebuild ATX just so you know and never pay ever for max amounts like that. You don't get trans codes on a simple rpm flare, they are purposely damped out. That fix might cost me maybe $75.

Luck and I will leave you alone.
Lol
You need to pay attention before you try and slam someone
I stated it wasn’t displaying anything “You” mentioned
I also stated it’s doing the same thing in overdrive that it’s doing with overdrive off. I never said it was fine, I said a family friend whom is a mechanic put his obd on the car and didn’t pull any codes. So, that being said You are not someone that should be on this forum giving “advice” when in all actuality all you have done with me is argue and nit pick because you weren’t paying attention.
I truly hope you never have Children

1 - 20 of 38 Posts