Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the car is on hold for now. Have to focus on insurance claims, house repairs, etc.

For those that don’t know, I live in Ridgecrest. The 6.4 and 7.1 earthquakes that hit were both less than 11 miles from our house. The kitchen floor is wavy, ceiling is cracked all over, water heater is toasted, all three brick walls that line our backyard are now loose and rock in the wind. Just a crappy time.

When the 6.4 hit on the 4th of July we were both sitting in the living room, lots of glass and pictures broken, tv fell to the wall but survived with minimal scratches, a few not replaceable type items broke.

At this point we had taken everything down off the shelves just Incase there was any large aftershocks. We were rolling for the rest of the day and all of Friday the 5th.

We ended up sitting a friends daughter for the day on the Friday, I left that house at 2010 to head to the mrs parents house to feed the cows/dogs/cats. While driving there the 7.1 hit. I thought something was wrong with the car, it was being tossed all over the road, so much that I was getting tires chirping when they came back in to contact with the asphalt. The mrs didn’t take it so well, she doesn’t deal very good with earthquakes, terrified of them if you will. She called me and I finally got the car stopped and off the road.

Once it was established the girls dad was safe and hailing ass home, I went to her parents. Minimal damage as their house is built to survive such events. The dogs were freaked out and piled into my car as soon as I opened the door. The cows were sketched out, but were fine once they got food.

Unfortunately I had to leave here with our friends and get to work. We have had several aftershocks, damage all over town. Trona, the town to our east is pretty much decimated. They were closer to the epicenter.

The town is doing alright now. Clean up mode. Still little shakes here and there. Calling for several 5.0 aftershocks and possibly one more larger. It’s been relatively calm with aftershocks around 3.0 and smaller. I’m not too worried about a larger one, but the second one was not expected so who knows.

I’ll try to post when I can and once I start working on the car again. For now it’s work and home to clean/repair.

If anyone else is close or in an affected area, feel free to reach out if you need help or to just talk. I will do my best to log on to the forum as much as I can.

Have a great night everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
Glad to hear you & your family & your pets/animals are ok......

·
Grey Friar
668 Posts
That must be scary to live through, the ground moving and breaking stuff all around, and no way to stop it or slow it down, nowhere to go. God bless you all.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Sorry you and everyone in your region is going through this, glad your family and critters are ok.

Earthquakes are terrifying to me, too, I understand your wife's fear.

When I moved to KY from Seattle, I thought I was swapping earthquake risk for tornadoes. But no, we're earthquake zone, as well. Heard of the New Madrid fault?

My husband thought I was nuts because I always insisted on storing heavy items as close to the floor as possible, (big hardback books on the bottom bookshelves, canned goods in lower cupboards, cast iron in the drawer under the oven, etc.) and lighter weight and soft items (paperback books, bedding, towels, board games, boxes of cereal...) on higher shelves​.

I still do that, as much as I can.

I hope you'll be able to repair/rebuild and make your home safe and comfortable again. Best wishes to you all.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s okay now. I guess. Constant aftershocks. 4.9 this morning while I was driving home. But looking at the app for them, it appears they are moving up north. There is a lot more up towards little lake.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Doesn't sound very ok, but I know when you're going through something so horrendous, every improvement, even small ones, are a relief. I hope the aftershocks stop soon.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Me too. Still going though. Hopefully the USGS lady is right. It seems to be a bit less, but since the first one, the 6.4, we have had something like 10,000 aftershocks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts