Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
I'm still looking for my focus...i've been searching for a few months now and i think i may have found the right one, except the price seems insainly high. [confused] This dealer wants 12,900 for a 2001 with 43,000 miles on it. Now from all the research i've done, foci with those numbers on it go for like 9k maybe...so do you think i could make him drop 4k off the price if i bring in like a kelly blue book or edmunds price sheet or something?

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Take all the written quotes or KBB values to the dealer and demand a price lower.
If they say, no. Just start walking away and go to another dealer.

Times are hard and getting rid of used and new/2003 model cars are their priority.

If they see that you want to buy, they will do what they can to meet your price and sell you the car.

Also, once they give you the final monthly payment that you agree upon, ask them to see the total cost of the car and finance charges. Sometimes they will try not to show you this and only give you the monthly payment so they can hide the total cost behind 72 months of payments.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
When I bought my 01 it had 32,500 miles on it the dealer was asking $9,000 or $10,000 forgot which one and I left that day with it for $6,000 plus tax title and all that stuff.

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
If you are going to finance the car check around on your own. Don't rely on the dealer for the best interest rate. Check your bank, credit union or others on the web. When I bought my wifes Eddie Bauer Expedition I found a place that was 5% below what the dealer wanted and the finance manager got pissed when I told him. He looked and called me the next day with a rate that was even lower.

And yes, 12k seems high for a Focus with that many miles.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
In July we were looking for a used car as well. I ended up buying my son a new 03 zx3 for 9900.00. The sticker was 13,900.00 and I was offered 5000.00 in rebates and dealer discounts. Made buying a new car a no brainer. These deals are out there you just have to look.

For a used car I'd never offer a dealer more than 5 to 10% more than the wholesale book value (NADA). The odds are good they got it for less than book anyway at an auction or as a rental return. Selling rental returns (also referred to as program cars) is icing on the cake for dealers. The suggested retail (book) prices for late model used cars generally sets them very near to new car prices once rebates and other incentives are considered.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I payed $4000 for my 2000 Ford Focus ZX3 with 49k miles used off the street. Car runs fine and has had not one fuel pump problem or anything major that is usually associated with the Focus. Now ask yourself if you'd like to pay even $9000 for a 2001 with over 40k miles. I'd tell them to screw themselves.

Now granted whoever owned the car before treated it like dog crap but that's nothing a little TLC won't take care of.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
i would try to get the price lower. it seems to much for a car with 43,000 miles on it

·
Registered
79 Posts
HAHA i just bought a 2000 ZX3 with 40k miles on it for only 5500 [:D] yea the dealer said they are really desperate to sell used cars [:D] [:D]

·
Registered
171 Posts
heh i got my 2000 zts mtx for 5000, with only 24500 miles [:D]

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hope the info helps:
I bought my 2000 sedan 5 speed SE for $7900 from Carmax.It may seem at first a little too much, but then take in consideration my car only had 19,000 miles,and it came with the ZETEC engine.Also for that price included the 48 month 50,000 mile extended service.So I would say that the price on the ZX3 you are talking about should be adjusted.

·
Boosted
2,814 Posts
just bought my 01 ZX# for 7000-w/ only 22k on it-o, and it has a sunroof.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I bought my '00 ZX3 with 27,000 mi & and a 75,000 mi warranty for 7 G's this past August. But I think with everything I've added so far I've probably shot the warranty

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
i saw one not to long ago for sale it was white ZX3, MTX, power lock and windows, had 25k on it it was a 2k and was still under warrenty all for 7k now thats a steal

·
Registered
793 Posts
I bought my '00 ZX3 for 9,900 with 32,000 miles but that was back in '01 so it was still pretty new then and the market didnt suck because of 9-11

·
Registered
29 Posts
$12,900 for a 2001 [confused] I bought my NEW 2003 ZX3 (PZEV) a month ago out the door for 11,200 (plus tax of course).... I would look somewhere else...

·
Registered
110 Posts
i bought my zx3 brand new a couple of months ago. power windows, locks, sun roof, audiophile sound system and some other goodies for $11,500

·
Registered
75 Posts
yeah that seems very high when i bought my o3 zx3 in april i payed a little under 13,000 with a few options,interior and svt headlights

1 - 19 of 19 Posts