Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother in law has an 02 ZX3. Not a bad car, just recently did all new suspension, A/C repair, new temp sensor, new fan relay, and some other odds and ends. The car is in decent shape and is daily driven.

However, the muffler rotted off thanks to years of salty roads/PA winters. I see a Walker muffler setup on RockAuto for $150 and the non-ZX3 is around 60-70 and looks like it's more of an oem catback.

Does the ZX3 have a resonator or something? What are my options for QUIET and bolt on? Not eBay $20 special or straight pipe - they are not an option.

If no option exists, it'll probably get a junkyard muffler and welded on. I'd rather bolt on a decent muffler myself and call it a day.

TIA,
Chris

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
iirc, only difference between the hatchback and sedan exhaust are sedans are a couple inches longer than hatch.

What part of the exhaust you looking to replace?

Between sedan/hatch this is the basic setup, the both have muffler and a resonator.

left to right: first is the manifold, second is flex pipe, third straight section with muffler, fourth resonator.

Some people purposely saw off the resonator to increase sound. Search around here, there was a guy asking today about removing his...might be able to find one cheaply used. If you just want quiet and inexpensive, try out a muffler shop. They should have a cheap one that will do the job.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the very helpful diagram!

By the looks of the diagram, I am looking for the Resonator, PN 53372. I need to take another look at it, but I believe the pipe rusted through at the inlet on the resonator.

I was called the muffler a resonator and vice versa so much verbage was reversed.

I'm hoping for a slip on or bolt on deal, not really a hacked off piece. I'll look around. If anyone has an OEM resonator and tail pipe (the complete section) and sees this thread, please post up. I think paying $150 for a muffler is nuts - and that's the cheapest I found so far.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
If one looks at OEM exhaust now it becomes pretty clear that the offset piping in/out and the weird angles pipes often enter or exit mufflers/resonators is intended to steer one toward the entire pipe assembly replacement part as any other change often requires welding. That goodness there are muffler/cat makers that will step up to the plate to make parts that can change out without much more there than a hacksaw and careful planning.

Just like on OEM a/c parts now, many several smaller parts are welded up to make a much bigger one with bigger cost to go along with it. The shipping on some of those oversize parts will kill you.

Four cylinder engines because of the way spread out but dead even exhaust frequencies often need two mufflers to quiet them down, enter the 'resonator', the second muffler there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts