Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came across this after doing some searching http://atpowershop.co.uk/catalog/ford-zetec-p-166.html

i did the conversion to us dollars and its roughly 2700.00 shipped to my door the site says with that kit and its stock tune for the a stock zetec motor power is 170BHP now is that 170hp to the wheels or to the crank any input would be great if thats the case i may just purchase that because that kit with a nice header and a cat back exh would probably make for a fun na focus maybe even bolting up a nice head package from Tom [clap]

·
Registered
530 Posts
for 2700 u can buy a good used Turbo setup

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know but I don't want to go turbo I like the sound of a na car screaming sure it wont be like them hondas that hit like 9k rpm but id be content with a 180hp na focus :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would really love to run a itb setup and possibly a nice head package from you tom with some nice cams maybe when I get some cash we can talk about a setup :)

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
It's to the crank, so about 150hp to the wheels.

The "269hp" engine is also to the crank, roughly 230hp to the wheels.

From how my car does, I don't see much point in itb's. They are a bitch to tune and you loose drivability, throttle can be really touchy. Plus like Tom said, you have to go standalone. Just not worth it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Iminhell can you post your mods so I may see what i would need to make roughly what you make all motor. Also would running a high flow cat kill power I don't mind my exhaust being loud just hate the buzzy sound or could u run a no cat exhaust and just run another resonator to keep down the raspy buzz sound.

·
FF Affiliate
31,180 Posts
It's to the crank, so about 150hp to the wheels.

The "269hp" engine is also to the crank, roughly 230hp to the wheels.

From how my car does, I don't see much point in itb's. They are a bitch to tune and you loose drivability, throttle can be really touchy. Plus like Tom said, you have to go standalone. Just not worth it.
Actally the EFI ITB are very streetable and tuning them is almost nothing to do , not like the old days when they were basicaly carb ITB and it took a special meter to set them

Standalone sucks and no standalone affordabel offers the knock sensor which I think is hugh in this day and time with our fuels

Tom

Tom

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
It looks like the above link includes a "SC Typhoon Engine Management System"

so, the piggybacks included but good luck finding someone who knows how to tune with it.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I have a stock zetec bottom end with 175,000 miles on it, SVT head which is ported, polished and shaved 0.045" and running the zetec head gasket (it's thinner than the SVT gasket), VCT elimination kit (from Tom), CFM adjustable cam gears (version 2), SVT header with 3" exhaust, Ford Racing intake manifold (Gen I), Pro-M 70mm MAF, Mustang 70mm TB, 42# Ford Racing injectors (green ones that come with the Jackson Racing S/C kit), for a fuel I'm running E-85 and I'm tuned with SCT which I've done all the tuning. I also have a Flydenza 12# flywheel and CFM oil pump gear, neither of which affect power. I did the oil pump because I upped my rev limiter to 8,000rpm (for now). Once my tuning gets better I do plan on running more RPM so long as I'm still making power.

Far as cost of what I have into the car,
$400 for the head
$50 to have it shaved, I did the porting
$125 in gaskets
$250 for the cam gears
$250 for the header
$300 into the exhaust
$200 for the wideband (PLX)
$200 for the FRIM (hell of a deal!!)
$500 for the SCT Advantage III with an Xcal II (hell of a deal)
$50 for injectors
$200 for the oil pump
$150 for the flywheel (was barely used)
$300 for misc
----------------

Total of $2,975

And I still want pistons/rods (want 12:1 or higher for static compression), cams ($800 and only 1 option), to have the bottom end lightened/balanced, I need an LSD and a better clutch. So add about another $2,000 to my grand total. Then I'm done and will be happy.
My goal for this year was 200whp, which I came close to but just couldn't quite get there. More tuning and fixing my slipping clutch and I should though (pretty sad because it's a brand new stock replacement).
My hp #'s below are using the stock SVT intake manifold and not the FRIM. I didn't get a chance to redyno and now we're on winter blend so it doesn't pay to.

I'd say with just a SVT head swap you should gain about 30whp. But if Tom's not done with the VCT elimination kits you won't be able to complete the swap. Plainly put, the stock zetec head is junk and holding lots of people back. Local guy up here has a ported Ford Racing head on his car with stage III crowers, I'm making more power than him. Only differences between our builds is the exhaust manifold, he's running the Focus Sport hearer, and our heads. I think that really says something about how well the SVT head flows, and was exactly why I did the swap.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It does but im not sure if that system is a piggyback or a standalone if so can I use my factory sensors guages also says I have to modify my fuel system so as much as I would love to run that kit looks like it will run me more than what I can spend which may be like 5 grand

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats some nice numbers iminhell and a good price also helps you did most of the work yourself. That I can't do lol I have to have a shop put all my stuff together

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
That's the route most go. I'm lucky enough that I have plenty tools and understand what I'm doing, and if stuff goes wrong I know how to fix it. Plus being in BFE I kinda have to know how.
You're lucky enough that there are competent shops around who've worked on Focus's, CFM, Focus Power and Top Speed (even though it's a drive to any of them).

And your best bet far as how to spend money is going to be first setting a goal. That way you don't buy parts you don't have to. But if you want power you'll have to get a good head and cams and tune, so always plan on spending at least that much. Exhaust isn't a big deal; there's maybe 4whp difference from the SVT to the Focus Central to the Focus Sport to the Top Speed (which to my knowledge still doesn't exist) headers (don't bother with ebay crap). Exhaust diameters aren't too big of a deal 2.5"-3" is recommended though.
Far as intake manifolds go, both stock zetec manifolds work, IMO the SVT flows better and the FRIM is top dog but you will loose some low RPM power.

The biggest factor is the head though. Once you get a good one it opens most all the doors.
Second to that, IMO, is compression. But you're limited by your choice of fuel here. Unless you want to run Ethanol or race gas it's best to keep compression under 11.5:1, but that'll vary some depending on what cam's you run (ultimately it's dynamic compression that dictates Octane requirements).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I would like to make 175 to wheels id be content. im here in florida so we get 93 octane so that helps as far as exhaust I like the true bendz one but id like have a second high flow resonator to keep the exhaust free flowing but without that raspy sound. Hopefully I get a nice income tax return so I can do the things I want to do :)

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts

That's how crappy my car sounds, cold. It's a Flo-Pro Twister (3" in and out) as my resonator (though it doesn't do much) and a Hooker AeroChamber as my primary muffler (3" in and out). I want something small to go where the 'lunchbox' was but I haven't found anything suitable yet.
I've hated the way this car sounded since day one, or day 3 actually. Which is the day I put exhaust on it, lol. Ya, I had exhaust on the car before it hit 200 miles.

I've also been contemplating the Top Speed Aluminum exhaust. Saves a good amount of weight, but it's a bitch to weld steel to AL well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why not a 3 inch resonator inline to keep some of the raspyness down..kinda like the fswerks stealth exhaust so the exhaust is not so loud but yet it retains its flow because the resonator passage is the same size of diameter as the piping itself.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
There is a shop tucked away on Southlawn Blvd in Rockville, Maryland I did a parts delivery to about two years ago... It's back amongst a conglomeration of body shops, and parts warehouses. 'It's About Time Automotive' was the name of this joint, if I remember correctly.

I walked in and had to kill some time waiting for someone to sign for the parts, and saw an ITB'd Zetec engine just laying there against a wall in a clear trash bag... when the owner found me, I started chatting him up and he told me they work mostly on hot rods (there was a 69 Charger, Chevelle and numerous old-school-looking dirt track cars in there), but their free-time projects are dirt track cars using the Zetec engines. The owner told me the bagged engine dyno'd @ 300whp! It was their last seasons engine, but he was getting around to rebuilding it for another season when I saw it.

I've been meaning to get back down there and get some info from them, and see what they would be able to do for mine... I hope they're still there! I'm gonna have to get down there in the near future and report back...

I had heard that many a sprint car team used the Zetecs as the mill for their team's car, so when he told me 300hp it didn't seem like a stretch. That thing looked friggin' sa-weet, too!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts