Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, not sure how many people are still around, but I thought I'd start a thread to keep some things organized.

In July of this year I picked up an 03 ZX3 from a friend, for a daily/project to accompany my 17 ST.
French blue, zetec, mtx75, and plenty of Ohio rust .

We had a small meetup at SPIinDisguise's house (thanks again for cleaning Bluey's machs). Some friends brought it ~5 hours down to there, and I brought it home the remaining 2 hours. Absolutely full of spare parts, and needing some love, but it made the drive.

Drivers door latch quit working pretty much the minute I got it so I started ordering parts right there.

I'll post updates in the following comments, but first some backstory on the car. It has a thread on FJ from the original owner who modified the car. I believe in ~07 or so it got stripped interior, the guy built an NA zetec top to bottom and bluey was pretty rowdy. That built motor now lives in a friends wagon and bluey has a stock longblock, and a full interior. Couple old pics from that below.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Reactions: JLe1 and pbfoot

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First order of business was getting all 4 eaps and good tires on the car, and cleaning it front to back. Side trims cleaned up and reinstalled. 2k front lip was installed day of pickup. I have 2k skirts but only 80% of the driver's rocker to attach them to.

Next was dealing with the rear end. The rear subframe was swiss cheese and it had drum brakes and no ebrake. The car came with a clean mk3 rear subframe and LCAs, but the rest snowballed quickly. I got new oem trailing arms, massive speed camber arms and toe arms, massive rear disc conversion, new spindles, and new hardware throughout. Front brakes are svt on svt knuckles so we're good there.

Car also got a thorough dose of fluid film to protect what's left. Fresh alignment and it drives amazing. The car already had a progress rear sway bar, eibach (I think) springs, and kyb agx shocks.... which will soon be replaced.

• Love
Reactions: pbfoot

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Next was some little things. New windshield and resealed rear window. Chased taillight and window leaks for a bit there. Keyed an updated ignition cylinder that I've been sitting on for years, new fog lamp housings (now with yellow Lamin X), new oem coil, and got an svt spoiler painted and installed.

Recently I swapped the old HKS catback for a trubendz borla, which I'm thinking will be switched for an fswerks stealth eventually... it's loud.

Chased powersteering leaks for weeks now. Old zetec line was rubbing on the svt header and leaking, installed a new gates svt pressure line, which blew the o ring out 4 days later. Installed a new o ring, that I maybe knicked installing... and it immediately leaked . Fixed that and the feed hose started leaking, and then the pump decided it was done. Fixed the hose and installed the pump this past weekend but it doesn't want to bleed, something to fool with tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And now how it currently sits.
-Intake is stock but I have a Volant coming.
-Header and flex are svt but have been cut/rewelded a time or 2. I ordered a new FSWerks header/flex that should be here soonish.
-H&R coils are also coming, plus new endlinks. I'm not slamming it but she's going around a corner whether she wants to or not . Plus it needed new struts so.. snowball.
-Timing tensioner is junk so another snowball. Blue esslinger cam gears, gates racing blue timing belt, massive hardware, massive idler, and gates tensioner coming.
-Interior is standard zx3 with blue svt seats. I'd like to get blue interior panels/dash, or do recaros.

After that, tint and enjoy it for a bit I think. It's just supposed to be a reliable daily after all. I guess if everything else is sorted I may look into new rockers and have a like-new zx3. And I can dream about euro bumpers while I'm at it.

hammerchase

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks great! Nice thread.
Thanks!
This is going to be fun to follow! The power steering was giving you fits huh?!

I also have a 2017 ST but my daily is a MK 1.5 (‘07) Blue Focus.....almost same-same!
Haha I worked it out today, all good.
I'd love a 1.5, especially an ST, my first car was an 04 2.3L zx4, aka poor man's ST . Also had a 1.5 zx4 ses that was a pretty good daily too.
Looks great so far!
Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
> not sure how many people are still around
We are here, Zetec 02, 2002 Twilight Blue ZX5, just did 251k last week

My 1.5 cents,
Do a full LeBar front

Get a Car-id halogen Fog Light Kit

Tenth Pic, is that the Rear Wing ?? if so
T5i designed , shop around for great deals

Tires: Super Stickey
Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06

235/45 rear / 225/40 front
if you want to stick 60mph corners

What Say You........................

·
Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 160k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 189k miles
3,595 Posts

My 1.5 cents,
Do a full LeBar front

What is the LeBar front? Inquiring minds would like to know.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I’ve got one lying around….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Do they still sell them?
[/QUOTE]
I always try to get/acquire two of everything for My Stance , esp the
discontinued stuff. ; Which I sell on Ebay!
LeBra is everywhere esp on Amazon/Ebay/Alibaba, shop around
the world is free and getting cheap
(Pick of the week Decentraland MANA, crypto, ACCUMULATE)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not a clue. Got mine on marketplace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

My 1.5 cents,
Do a full LeBar front

I have a Ford Accessories hood bra (shown in early pics). I'm just not a huge fan so it doesn't stay on the car.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Quote here;
“The rear subframe was swiss cheese and it had drum brakes and no ebrake.
The car came with a clean { mk3 } rear subframe and LCA’s.”
-
So is this a typo, or can one really swap a 2012 & up rear subframe onto a 00’-07’ ?

·
Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 160k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 189k miles
3,595 Posts
Quote here;
“The rear subframe was swiss cheese and it had drum brakes and no ebrake.
The car came with a clean { mk3 } rear subframe and LCA’s.”
-
So is this a typo, or can one really swap a 2012 & up rear subframe onto a 00’-07’ ?
Si senor.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts