Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 01 ZX3 automatic transmission sometimes knocks hard when I shift into drive, also when I let off the gas and then goose the throttle while cruising or going uphill. Seems not to be as bad when the engine is warm. Also knocks when shifting from park to reverse but not as hard as drive.

I thought it sas being caused in part by a sticky TB so I replaced that with a KBB (Stock TB had other issues). The new TB eliminated the stickiness and improved throttle response, but the shift knock now seems to be worse.

I noticed that warm idle speed at the lowest setting on the new TB is 1200 rpm vs 900 rpm at the lowest setting on the stock TB. Any connection?

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
This sounds like a cv axle issue rather than a transmission issue.
If someone else starts the Car and shifts from drive to reverse,is the noise coming from right at either front wheel?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yep, sounds like the idle is a little high and the driveline has slack somewhere. I'd also look at the engine mounts to make sure they are OK. Did you disconnect the battery after installing the new throttle body so it could relearn the new part?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Deuce and Blue, Thanks for the feedback. Assuming either or both of you are correct, what troubleshooting or corrective action do you recommend?

I will definitely disconnect the battery to let the ECU learn the new TB. I guess I'm not too worried about the current idle speed.

Thanks again for the advice!

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
If you find out what is causing the knock let me know because my car does the same thing. But its been doing it for a long time so. Years.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
44 Posts
Deuce and Blue, Thanks for the feedback. Assuming either or both of you are correct, what troubleshooting or corrective action do you recommend?

I will definitely disconnect the battery to let the ECU learn the new TB. I guess I'm not too worried about the current idle speed.

This thread will give you some idea about cv's: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269673&highlight=joint

Motor mount threads are everywhere on here.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts

Whats your status with this?
When the problem pop happens,does it almost have like a electronic noise with it?
Like: eeeee pop?
Its very faint but I can hear mine doing this on first the drivers side and a split second later the passenger side.
Just called for axle replacement estimate quoted 100 per axle and 200 for labor.
LoL
Think I will find my own axles.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts