Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
contour/cougar tranny

I am looking into getting a new tranny. I was wondering what would i need to do to get a cougar/contour tranny to fit my zetec. I know they are both mtx75 but am unsure if i need new axles and other stuff. Thanks!

Bartek

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
why would you want that tranny? focus trannies are everywhere and inexspensive as well, lots of mods for them too

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
contour trannies have a different gear set. they are also inexpensive and easy to find.

·
Registered
380 Posts
is it really worth modifying though, it'll probobly cost the same to set up your focus to work with one when you could just get a new diff and clutch installes in your mtx 75

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hehe, installing clutch as we speak, looking forward to only spending 250 for a tranny w/ 4.06 final drive. the work to get 4.06 into a focus tranny would cost me well over that. plus, the tranny i have now needs syncro work [B)]

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
well good luck on it. im not sure what all would need to be done. taking it to a tranny shop and telling them your plans maybe ur best bet there. where are u gettin that tranny at for $250. not bad at all. if it does work let me know how it drives on the highway at higher speeds and stuff. i had a mustang gt that was geared and it was pretty awkward on the highway after that

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
bartlomiej said:
hehe, installing clutch as we speak, looking forward to only spending 250 for a tranny w/ 4.06 final drive. the work to get 4.06 into a focus tranny would cost me well over that. plus, the tranny i have now needs syncro work [B)]
i got a used tranny for $1k w/ 4.06s and quaife..........it is direct fit, dont see how needing custom work for a $250 tranny is better, are these trannies the quality of the MTX75?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
these trannies ARE mtx 75 just with diff gearing. i was also reading on some contour site that they have upgraded syncros (not sure, could not find much info on this). i don't think i will need any custom work

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
You can install the gear set for the MTX 75 that is in the Contour/Cougar platform and just use the stock Focus axles. They are stronger than the others anyways.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts