Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one rember this upgrade? 2 zx2 intake cams= foci stage 1 cam at a fraction of the price.

I rember that you can put 2 zx2 intake cams in a foci head with slight modifications. just have to add a stud for the camsensor or mabey a tuner could take care of this.

I'd seen a how to I remember :
the guy marked the spot on the cam used for the intake drilled a hole, taped it, installed a machiene screw with loctight on it, and ran the car with no other modifications or check engine light.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
^^That's what I've heard too. You have to tap it and put a screw or something on the end of the cam shaft due to the Focus Zetec having a cam position sensor right there. Funny thing is from what I remember our ECU's don't even need or use it. I think?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it will run unpluged it's a misfire specific detector.
the cam sensor is what tells it p030x instead of p0300

newer vehicles also use it to monitor for belt/chain/gear breakage

That's why I say a tuner my be able to tune out the cel.
and price I could supply 2 used intake cams for like $80+ shipping compared to $375+ shipping that leaves you $290 for a tap and screw and you could probally still afford the tune all for the price of the focus cams.
hell I'd even throw in a screw for you free.

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
You cant use 2 Intake meaning you cant use the Intake cam as the Exh cam , spend the money and get good cams the stg1 cams out there add little to no performance and if you have the supporting mods that the stg1 cams would help then you need the stg2 or 3 anyway

Its great to save money and I am all for it but if it does not help and you have to buy buckets and labr to do it what did you save

Tom

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
I bought used comp3's for 150 shipped on here. A few months earlier I sold brand new ford racing stage 3's for 200 shipped. Wait it out and get way more lift and duration with aggressive cams.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
27 Posts
You cant use 2 Intake meaning you cant use the Intake cam as the Exh cam , spend the money and get good cams the stg1 cams out there add little to no performance and if you have the supporting mods that the stg1 cams would help then you need the stg2 or 3 anyway

Its great to save money and I am all for it but if it does not help and you have to buy buckets and labr to do it what did you save

Tom
This was exactly what I was going to do on my non-vct Focus head, I even heard of a guy that did it with success. But as I'm going boost now, I might just stick with the stock Focus cams.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You just flip the 2nd cam over and it's an exhaust cam. You would have to get buckets either way. Labor? If you can't change a cam then wow you probally can't do a timing belt either. also stage 1 cams keep the zetec a noninterferience motor.

With all the money you save you could afford a tune from Tom.
at my local bone yard it $50 for 2 cams. and grab all the buckets while your there now it's just your time to put it together.

Stage 1 cams are for a mild build not a 300whp race car doing 7's in the 1/4mile

I just wrote this after seeing people selling stage 1 cams for over $375

Also the cam sensor I noticed last night the wiring diagram calls it a cyl id sensor

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
I did this mod and wrote a how to on it. IMO its not worth it. I plugged the values into my desktop dyno program and it ended up being less than 5hp gain at the flywheel.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
Flip the cam ? Not sure what your saying there , the intake cam and exh cams are cut diff , if you put 2 intake cams in the same engine there going to open all 4 valves at the same time , even if you rotate it so the cam guide for proper cam install to 180 out you would be spending a good bit of time on the dyno and I still am not 100% sure that would work

I have seen many sets of stg1 cams for 200 and the stg 3 comps are non interferance as well

My opinion is this would be a wast to do both on the cost and labor end of the mod there just would be enough gain from it , Im guessing 2-4HP where the stg2 or stg3 would net you 6-9 and depending on your mods 11-13

Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts