Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go again: Replaced the fuel filter OEM @ 120000 miles. Is there a fuel regulator between the pump and the fuel rails? Oem pump last how long? Is it internally regulated ? Where do you check the fuel pressure and what SHOULD it be 2005 ZX5 Zteck twin cam

·
Registered
768 Posts
Theres a Schrader valve on the end of the fuel rail if I remember right. At least on a zetec. And there is no pressure regulator. The fuel pump runs when the fuel rail pressure sensor tells it to

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Just did the internet search thing and found the pressure sensor. What would the normal readings be and what piece of equipment would I need the read it in running operation? If I connect to Schrader valve with a gauge what should pressure read?Have not found info on running pressure. My questions are from notably drop in fuel milage. could fell all the vibrations when motor munts were bad slight miss. believe it or not I started to see h2o out the muffler (normal) and the exhaust tip after we changed the fuel filter. Did the whol belt change and mounts way smoother but MPG is still down.Any suggestions?? OEM @ 120000 miles ZX5 tc

·
FF Affiliate
30,369 Posts
2005 should be a Duratec not Zetec ?

Fuel psi should be 38-42psi at idle

Fuel pump , fuel filter wouldnt have any effect on MPG , How long sense Spk Plugs changed , front o2 changed , MAF cleaned etc

Tom

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having a gauge install to end of fuel rail. Looking for 38 and above at idle. Are there any suggestions on a intank fuel pump assembly for my 2002 ZX5 Z Teck. OR should I pick thru all the FocaFanatics post for answer. I may think that if the control module was faulty the it would NOT run. Slight miss and a just note able surging with light acceleration. Still passing CA smog. PLUGs and AF are new. Full auto transmition service flush[popcorn]

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK I checked the end of the fuel rail. nipple WITHOUT treads. No connection there. Fuel pump controller has a port but no one has adapter that fits. Learned that I need a adapter that goes between fuel rail and inlet hose. THIS YEAR ONLY! 2002 ZX5 Z Teck2.0 duel over head cam. How would you get pressure? No code or reader in my position. But Dorman parts to build a tee for one use? Stopped at few shops and they said Ford Focus? When I said yes they laughed!!!

·
Registered
15,560 Posts
It's not that year only, it's several years. You read FP indirectly by software or make up a fitting to end of fuel rail. I used the OEM plug that is machined on Euro models to be the FP checking fitting, they don't machine it for US models. I drilled and tapped it for maybe $13 in parts on both of mine and use a standard pressure reader now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input ALL!! I will be looking for some one with X3 or X4 but im still wanting to see a mechanical gauge in the fuel line.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never made it to a scanner. started to turn over more to start and could feel a slight rough run. Replaced the fuel pump assembly. Even the Idle feels different so there must have been a pump problem Thanks ALL for the info

·
Registered
54 Posts
I used the OEM plug that is machined on Euro models to be the FP checking fitting, they don't machine it for US models. I drilled and tapped it for maybe $13 in parts on both of mine and use a standard pressure reader now.
Hi @amc49 , Do you have pictures or can you let me how you made this FP checking fitting ? One can never have to many tools [hihi]

Thanks,
Allcruisen

1 - 14 of 14 Posts