Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum but could use some help with my much loved '04 ZTS 2.3l engine. I'd like to replace the notorious lifetime air filter as my mileage has gone from a consistent 30mpg to 22 but can't find anything for this particular model that is street legal. Car has 108k miles. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
233 Posts
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

" Related Parts

2004 FORD FOCUS ZTS 2.3L 140cid L4 FI (Z) DOHC : Fuel/Air : Air Filter Wiki Price
PRONTO Part # PA5324

$4.13
Add to Cart
MANN Part # MA1048 (Only 1 Remaining)

$4.17
Add to Cart
FRAM Part # CA8969 Flexible Panel; Extra Guard (Rebate/Promotion Available! See Promotions & Rebates Page for Details.)

$6.70
Add to Cart
ACDELCO Part # A2040C {#88997017}
ELEMENT,AIR CLEANER

$9.97
Add to Cart
MOTORCRAFT Part # FA1688 {Click Info Link for Alternate/OEM Part NumbersMFA1688M, XS413A327EA, YS4Z3B436HB, YS4Z9601CC}
Type: 263

$12.25
Add to Cart
FRAM Part # WA8969 Flexible Panel (Rebate/Promotion Available! See Promotions & Rebates Page for Details.) (Only 5 Remaining)

$12.93 "

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Don't you just love it when people post parts that aren't relevant to your car ...

Scroll down and check the part # for an older, and different engine, Focus. You'll find the one for the Duratec engine is wrong.
This is due to the lifetime filter and there being no aftermarket replacement for it.

As to the mileage issue at hand,
I'd do some testing before nailing down that it's an air filter problem/issue.
When is the last time the spark plugs where replaced?
Fuel Filter (both in take and inline)?

What other things have or haven't been changed/maintained recently?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't you just love it when people post parts that aren't relevant to your car ...

Scroll down and check the part # for an older, and different engine, Focus. You'll find the one for the Duratec engine is wrong.
This is due to the lifetime filter and there being no aftermarket replacement for it.

As to the mileage issue at hand,
I'd do some testing before nailing down that it's an air filter problem/issue.
When is the last time the spark plugs where replaced?
Fuel Filter (both in take and inline)?

What other things have or haven't been changed/maintained recently?
Thanks, Kinda figured the above mentioned prices were a bit too good to be true. I will try the other routes you mentioned, but it would be nice if there was an aftermarket replacement as the OEM is over $500. Any ideas? I love to fly and this 2.3 is the closest thing to it even without mods.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Agreed, those parts are wrong. The 03 PZEV Duratec engine- that's the 2.3 which has a plastic intake manifold and coil on plug ignition.

Iminhell is right, although I think the air cleaner is probably bad- since you know what it is then you've probably tested it. You should see about replacing the spark plug boots if you haven't already. Mine were messed up at 100k also, and caused running issues. Fuel filters should be replaced every 25k miles or so, and are often overlooked. Your fuel pump might last longer if you replace the filter as recommended. The PCV valve on this engine is the biggest PITA ever to diagnose or replace. It's located under the intake between the intake and the block. If the hose goes bad, then it's very difficult to replace without removing the intake manifold. You should also clean the MAF with spray MAF cleaner if you don't regularly.

Now, there is a part called the fuel sensor in the center of the fuel rail which can go bad. From what I understand you only get rich codes if anything. If you remove the vacuum line going to it and smell fuel, you might consider replacing it.

That's about all the help I can give you. Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
An aftermarket CAI from someone like K&N or FSWerks is cheaper, gives you better mileage, and more power.

You will have to clean the MAF periodically for a month after installing any oil infused air filter. Some oil gets in the MAF and typically lowers fuel economy until you clean it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lifetime air filter

Thanks for input everyone. I hadn't checked the air filter other than to look at the gauge which shows about 1/4 red at one end and 1/4 yellow at the other end. I'd love to replace the filter with a street legal air filter but I can't find a replacement for here in NY. I will try replacing plugs and gas filter and plug wires. Thanks, I'll let everyone know what results.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fab up air box to replace 100k OE type -cheaper than K/M

for the ambitious, loosen clamp on intake snorkel which goes to intake and remove old box assembly,

--on the bottom of box which goes up to intake plenum, cut out that square -

--- now you have a flange which can be bolted to some sort of durable plastic box similar in dimension -

- fabricate inside of box for one/ two filters stacked -- access cover of this box will need some sort of gasket or simple seal -- you knew this already --

-drill holes in box to match holes drilled in flange of intake after filter,cut opening in box similar in size to snorkel and similar for fresh air intake -reuse fresh air intake cap inlet (can be traced as template) use a little rtv to seal and bolt box fabricate intake plenum and fresh air inlet assembly -- box can be supported via wing nuts/similar --make as simple or complicated as needed for access ---
I am considering using a stanley tool box which has been pissing me off as the air filter holder -

- NOTE: I tried baking the OE plenum box in oven to see if the it would separate at seams -- will not work due to design-- also tried slitting seam with small grinder blade -- will not work --maybe others have some solutions --so just recycle this piece of obsolescence and move foreward!

this was inspired by why not why not tag while trying to change head light lamps -- just think it through before picking up any tools -- and work safe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts