Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed this on their Zetec? I was jsut wondering about the install and if the power gains are worth the money and are really as safe as Zex states. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My goal is to run 14's in the quarter mile. I do not have much done currently to the car, but I am thinking about getting the Zex wet system and the Focus Central Race header to start. I currently have a Shorty intake and removed the muffler and resonator and replaced then with a High flow muffler. I run with a bunch of Honda guys and I want to suprise them next driving season with one fast focus I would like to only spend around $4,000 dollars though. The fastest of the Honda guys is an Integra GSR that is running 13.5 in the 1/4.

·
Registered
281 Posts
It's gonna take some work. Me personally I don't like nitrous. They say if you use it right it'll be fine but all the people that have said that have had pistons melt on them a while later. If you wanna hit 14's maybe A focus Central 65 mm. throttle body. A short throw shifter by Steeda. You're definitely gonna need 2.5" exhaust piping from the headers down. Race Headers will probably be your best bet. A nice 2.5" flex pipe. Possibly some porting work done to an early 2000 intake manifold. And then maybe at this point you could toss in a 75hp or 100 shot of nitrous into the mix and maybe you'll hit 14's. Fluids are also important. The less friction the better. They say 5W-20 is proven to give more power and mileage. And some traction would help. Even with everything I've mentioned up their you're probably not gonna hit 14's. This is a 17 second car average stock so too shave off 2-3 seconds is hard.

Oh and some might not agree with me but a new coil and wires would help. When I had my MSD coil and wires on my auto ZX3 felt mean! I'd step on it and she'd move with authority. Apparently many people don't feel that with the Screamin Demon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help, I already plan on ordering the FC Race header and flexpipe. I just need to pick up a cat, and I was thinking about going with the FC 70mm TB and FC Intake manifold. Should I upgrade my fuel injectors as well? I am not to concerned about even blowing the motor I know where I can get a new one cheap, plus this is not my daily driver but more of a toy project I already have the car completely gutted to save some weight.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
if u get a race header there is no cat. you wont be making enough power for that manifold and t/b. injectors dont necessarilly need to be upgraded because u can hit 14s n/a.

14.8 if u can drive with a little weight loss all you need is intake, 65mm tb, ported 2k mani, stage 2 cams, race header, flex, catback, and u will want a chip custom programmed for ur mods

if u want more power... get a fr head, new intake mani, maybe a new gearset, lsd, and clutch

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would say 2.25 exhaust is good enough. From what I've read on here 2.5 is for turbo or S/C. If you aren't running one of those you will loose with 2.5" exhaust. someone correct me if I am wrong. Also Can anyone reply that has used NOS on their Focus? I am thinking of going with a 55-75 shot next summer. i believe that the engine will handle it just fine with colder plugs. I already have 65mm TB, intake, 2.25 catback, UDP, and MSD wires. To that I will add next summer header, ign coil, and flex pipe. Thats the plan anyway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know I won't be making enough power for that intake manifold yet, but I am thinking baout in a year buying Tom's turbo kit and building up a CGI block to produce some big numbers, and will need it anyway, my goal is to make my Honda boys look silly, and I have saved up some money and just want to find the best combo, it will take time to get the new motor together as I am going to do everything myself, so I thought I would just use a few bolt on's and teh ZEX to help tide me over and add a little fear to them before I drop in the new motor and really show them how fast a domestic can run. I also figure I could use the race header and then sell it when I do the motor swap or keep it in case I blow the new motor (highly unlikely if I build it correctly) With Nitro and some basic bolt on's including Intake Exhaust and Header maybe some pulleys would I be able to pull into the 14's? I will run a 75 shot. My goal is low 12's or high 11's with the motor and tranny.

·
Registered
281 Posts
hoooooooo yeeaahhhh I don't know about the 11's or 12;s........those are some MIGHTY #'s to try and capture.......God just thinking about the costs and modifications you'd have to perform to capture those #'s is hurting my head right now......Injectors......fuel & engine management.......turbo......manifold....exhaust......pistons (I'm gonna assume you're gonna need new pistons for 12's).......drag radials......LSD.....the list goes on my friend. If you're serious go for it but if you'd just like bragging rights for the Honda & Acura boys then just stick with 14's...its much more doable.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
stick to Euros list, and id run a 50 shot at the most, on stock internals, yeh im sure it might do a 75, but you obviosly dont sound experienced in this so id say for you a 50 shot is good enough

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
19lbers are good up around till after cams, then youd want a 70mm MAF and 24lbers, or bigger if your doing serious work after that.....

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
get 2.5" catback also, the thought that it loses power is more or less just a myth. the thing that will make u lose power in daily driving is underhood temps and air intake charge temps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts