Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Without knowing your AFR now, I doubt anyone will jump on this.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
I wouldn't run any amount of nitrous without a proper tune.

I've personally seen a 50 shot on a dyno with timing pulled and tons of fuel going in and the AFR still went to 18.0 to 1 when the full throttle switch kicked in.

It would be worth the time and money to have Ray @McNews tune it. The drive isn't that far.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, the car is stock so whatever the AFR is from the factory thats what it is. Zex says to not adjust the timing or run a tune(except a fuel programmer) at all for these kits. This is research for now. I plan to install cam gears(maybe cams) and a cone filter so basically if I buy this kit I should tune everything at once. This is a DD so Im not looking for huge gains or spend a lot of money so I was interested in this kit.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
The least you can do is install a wideband AFR gauge to monitor it. A tune would maximize your modifications and the addition of nitrous.

·
FF Affiliate
31,091 Posts
Like stated NO engine is safe with Nitrous with out proper tuning

I can do you a remote tune and Nitrous tune to keep you from spending money on a dyno tune

With the mods your doing at some point you going to need a tune even if you dont do nitrous

Tom

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys, I know I will need at least a tune for the minor mods Im doing. Im not against tuning for any mod including N2O, I just have a small budget so wherever I can get the best bang for the buck I'll go that route.

Tom, I'll pm you when I decide to get the nitrous and other mods. thanks again guys for your responses.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
Tom is also a good source for tuning [thumb]

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I wouldn't run any amount of nitrous without a proper tune.

I've personally seen a 50 shot on a dyno with timing pulled and tons of fuel going in and the AFR still went to 18.0 to 1 when the full throttle switch kicked in.

It would be worth the time and money to have Ray @McNews tune it. The drive isn't that far.
^That was me, lol. Get a tune, wideband, and all the safety options available for the N2o kit.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
^It was lol. That was a fun day; good learning experience too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
seems like a hassle for a small 35 shot Zex says to buy a programmer to add more fuel so I don't really want pay for a dyno tune. How much do hand held fuel programmers usually cost?

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
Just run a wet 50 shot and call it a day

·
FF Affiliate
31,091 Posts
seems like a hassle for a small 35 shot Zex says to buy a programmer to add more fuel so I don't really want pay for a dyno tune. How much do hand held fuel programmers usually cost?
If a 35 shot and everyone sais to have it tuned a 50 would not need tuning ? You need a tune the engine is not set up for nitrous , your load goes up and if it hits the limit you go lean , changes the timing your ECU has a knock sensor and can pull timing but only 5 deg and that isnt much when you get knock , with a wet kit you can adjust fuel and add more by changing fuel jet if you once see a 50 shot 1/4 mile with no tune you will never run your engine like that again , I have seen this , you need a tune for ANY nitrous there are many here that blew engines with a 50 and no tune , dont do it

Tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts