Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Just ordered the Xcal2 flasher and tune from Hypnotic and have a ZEX 75 shot wet nos system installed. I asked him to also include a NOS tune but he says it will be very boggy above 3k rpm.

What im worried about it spraying on my new flash... could their be serious problems with the advance timing of the new burn? I always run 94 Octain. It would be rather annoying to have to stop and change my tune whenever I want to spray.

Any input is appreciated!

thanks!

-Rick

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
itbparada said:
Hey guys. Just ordered the Xcal2 flasher and tune from Hypnotic and have a ZEX 75 shot wet nos system installed. I asked him to also include a NOS tune but he says it will be very boggy above 3k rpm.

What im worried about it spraying on my new flash... could their be serious problems with the advance timing of the new burn? I always run 94 Octain. It would be rather annoying to have to stop and change my tune whenever I want to spray.
Well you don't want to spray on the advanced timing tune, things go boom then.

Annoying, sure, but so is looking for a new motor. You shouldn't be into the NOS that much anyway to do it so often that it gets annoying.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yea I agree with goat. You shouldn't be spraying that much anyway. The reason it bogs at 3500 is b/c that when the timing is retated for the Nitrous. You dont want to spray below 3500 b/c it will go BOOM because of the advanced timing. \

Your sig bothers me because it says ZEX 75 wet shot NOS

Those are two completly different nitrous companies.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
If you are willing to spend a bit of money, you can eliminate that issue.

I felt the same way you do, I wanted to have my tune and still be able to spray. I ended up buying a Crane ignition system with a retard controller, hooking the retard controller up to the nitrous system.

I can leave my advanced tune in the ECM at all times, but when the nitrous fires, the Crane ignition will retard the timing by the amount I desire, effectively pulling out enough to negate the advance added by the tune, but since my nitrous doesn't fire until 3500 or so RPM's the timing stays advanced during low rpm's where it normally would bog. It's a great set-up, but it IS a little pricey.

The added benefit is I don't have to spend all that time flashing tunes back and forth when I want to play with the spray. Now I can just hit the bottle opener switch, turn on the master arm switch, and everything else is ready to go (in other words, I can go from daily commuter to formidable opponent on the fly in less than a second.)
I even have the bottle heater wired into an easy to reach dash button (rear defrost? who needs that in Florida?)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
sure.. Crane HI6Di2 ignition system --->part#6000-6500
Crane Retard Controller -----> part# 6000-6446
(also req'd) Crane Electronic Trigger ----> part# 6000-8933

Suggest using the MSD digital RPM window switch part# MSD 8969

You can get current prices at cranecams.com

(no, I'm not in any way associated with that company, they just did me right when I needed help on my little project, and I'm REALLY happy with the results)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Oh, also once you have everything hooked up, just call Wayne and ask him to look up in your file how much advance he has added from wherever you start the spray(usually 3500) to 7200 rpm DURING WOT. Apparently the tables are different in WOT operation vs. half throttle or the like.

Tell him you have the same set-up I do, so he knows what you are trying to do. He will let you know how much timing retard to dial in initially, and you can play with it from there.

edit... You're welcome!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks...

Thanks much.. that seems like the path I am going to be taking...

-Rick

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
yea it seems like a good path, but what if someone were to add say a turbo charger?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
you can pull up to 20 degrees of timing with that Crane unit, and it also comes with a boost pressure trigger you can use, instead of the nitrous trigger I use. Same scenario, it retards the timing once it sees a certain amount of boost.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts