Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone feel there zetec kick in. im just wondering is it the same as vtec because in my friends acura you can really feel it kick in

·
fOCUS Zetec 2.0
292 Posts
SVT's have it on the exhaust cam... that's why it's useless. Intake would be a little better and both would be better still. But SVT's/ST170's only have it on the exhaust cam from memory.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
to bad they didn't use variable cam timing.. but then Ford makes the Focus as an economy car, and VVT would be more expensive.

·
The Professor
2,664 Posts
sydneyzetec said:
SVT's have it on the exhaust cam... that's why it's useless. Intake would be a little better and both would be better still. But SVT's/ST170's only have it on the exhaust cam from memory.
I am sorry dude, but you are mistaken. The SVT has VCT on the intake cam, and the ZX2 Zetec has it on the exhaust. Anyway, VTEC is not the same as VCT. VCT advances and retards the cam on demand, but VTEC changes the profile (cam lobes) of the cam on demand.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
true, zx3matt, true. it also has that funky intake manifold that somehow varies the intake runner length ( i think we might be talking about the same thing here).

Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
SVT Foci have both VCT (Variable Cam Timing) and a Two position intake plenum, at lower RPM's the intake air flows through longer tubes or runners, this creates more Torque, then when the computer deterimines (at high rpm) an actuator pivots these longer tubes out of the way and the intake air has now drops right into the intake port, creating more horsepower. Many Ford engines have used a short/long type intake, I believe the first car was the Taurus SHO. Best thing about this type of two position intake is it gives you free power without the turbo/supercharger.

Finally the SVT Zetec doesn't need EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) to lower cylinder Temp. The intake VTC eliminates the need.

·
Registered
6 Posts
zx3matt said:
I am sorry dude, but you are mistaken. The SVT has VCT on the intake cam, and the ZX2 Zetec has it on the exhaust. Anyway, VTEC is not the same as VCT. VCT advances and retards the cam on demand, but VTEC changes the profile (cam lobes) of the cam on demand.
Actually it doesn't 'change' the profile, it changes too ANOTHER profile. There are low and high RPM profiles on the cam itself. VTEC uses a combination of electronic and mechanical methods to alter valve timing and also change the cams position to enable a high or low RPM lobe to actuate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts