Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I've had my car down for the last 4 years due to a wiring harness issue, deployment and a multitude of other reasons. I finally have the time to get it back up and running but I need a new wiring harness. Issue is that I can't find a replacement harness for a 2002 Manual trans zetec focus.

My question is... What are my options? Do i need to have a 2002 man trans zetec harness, or would the auto harness work as well? There are a bunch of auto zetec foci in the local parts yards but nothing with a manual transmission.

just looking for a little guidance on this being I have tried a few other harnesses and they didn't work out being it turns out they were for a SVT and not a ZX3.

·
Super Moderator
9,527 Posts
Moved to "Engine & Transmission Swap" so you can get a better answer here than in Zetec Performance. Is your car a pre-April 2002 or built after that? If it's a pre-April 2002 it's going to have a different wire harness. As for differences between manual and automatic, I am not quite sure if there is any at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The differences between manual and automatic the automatic has four more wires that run under the right seat to the transmission. I don't know if you can use the automatic harness and leave out the four wires. Has any one tried?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
there are more then 4 wires difference. between years they have used different power steering sensors, the wiring for the AC is different. ATX harness also lacks reverse light switch connector and the speed sensor connector, wiring for the clutch position switch.

so unless you want to be hacking, soldering and dealing with extra wires get a harness from the year and trans you have.

i have done a 04 ATX harness to 00 MTX harness and i had to solder and run wires to make it work.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that sucks. But would rather get verified now instead of buying another harness and having it not work. Now to try to track one down that is proper. Anyone got any good salvage sites that I could check out. I had one before that even listed the computer code but can't find that site anymore

·
Registered
425 Posts
you can use car-parts.com (usa wide junkyard search engine) to find the correct car that has correct harness.
Most of the junkyards will ship items. But you may find one in driving distance.

·
Registered
2002 Ford focus se sedan 2.0 sohc zetec silver
2 Posts
Moved to "Engine & Transmission Swap" so you can get a better answer here than in Zetec Performance. Is your car a pre-April 2002 or built after that? If it's a pre-April 2002 it's going to have a different wire harness. As for differences between manual and automatic, I am not quite sure if there is any at all.
I have a 2001 se sedan 2.0 dohc zetec automatic built in 11/00 this motor im swapping into a 2002 focus 2.0 sohc spi that's blown up. This 2002 was built in 02/02 , will the engine harness, ecu & ignition/keys swap over ? Will I have to cut any wires or change anything in the wiring and all? Or will I have to swap the whole harness over? I know I have to change amount and they alternator and power steering and some other stuff I'm aware of that stuff that's the easy stuff it's this wiring harness thing that's really got me jammed up. Hopefully somebody can help me here.

Thanks, the new guy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts