Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of transmissions that bolt upto the Zetec aside from the MTX75, Getrag, and Automatics? Specifially a transmission that would allow you to drive the rear wheels in a car? Does anyone know if there is a T5 bellhousing that would bolt up?

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Also, you might check with V6focus on this at focussalvage.com. He is pretty up on tranny swaps.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
oh cool i thought you were gonna put rwd on a focus with a zetec no one said anything about an MG. that will be one hell of an MG!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Viney- Another Stuttgart driver here? haha

Jaimz- Yeah that would be absurd to try to convert the Focus to RWD and I certainly wouldn't do that to an SVT either. I'm looking to get another MG Midget and curse myself with poor suspension, brakes, driveline, unibody, etc. It's going to be a tun of work but even a stock Zetec engine with 130HP would be relatively quick in a car that weighs less than 1500lbs! It would not, however, be stock- I'd be shooting for atleast standard SVT flywheel numbers.

Thanks for the advice here guys!

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
^
I wouldn't shrug off a RWD Zetec setup entirely...with enough power, a RWD Focus with a Zetec would be an interesting animal. You'd have the advantage of RWD with an engine that makes a respectable amount of power without significantly adding weight to the car like a V-8 crate engine would.

·
Registered
384 Posts
A stock ztech with a t5 5spd in an mg will be fast. I just finished rebuild a Zenith Stromburg carb on a triumph spitfire (with no manual i might add :) ) and the stock motor is poop. i believe the mg is the same adound 70-80hp right? And they get along all right. Droping a 2.0l ztech in it would be like droping an LS1 in a rx7.......

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I know my MGB could use a little extra 'oomph..' I was thinking, maybe, way down the road of doing this type of swap in my 77' MG. Even with the performance goodies I have on it's 1.8L (Weber carb, header, cam, electronic ignition), it still is a little bit anemic (but not bad for an MG!!).

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
allanzx3 said:
A stock ztech with a t5 5spd in an mg will be fast. I just finished rebuild a Zenith Stromburg carb on a triumph spitfire (with no manual i might add :) ) and the stock motor is poop. i believe the mg is the same adound 70-80hp right? And they get along all right. Droping a 2.0l ztech in it would be like droping an LS1 in a rx7.......

Yeah I think they are around 65HP depending on the year models with emmisions equipment. If this is to happen- I'd probably look for a zetec build with atleast what the SVT engine is like. That would be a lot of fun!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think the midget had even less- like 60HP right? There were a few different figures with emission and everything... Doubling and or trippling the power would be fun!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you just want a cheapo thing that moves really quickly, a Lotus 7 kit car is a good thing to consider. They usually weigh at or less than 1500lbs and you could have a 400HP turbo engine in it. That's just rediculous... [8]

Zetec + Turbo + 1500lb (with driver) = Orgasm!

lol

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Yeah...Lotus 7 kit cars can be fun, I've seen a few and they are crazy....How much is the kit for them?

Midget's had about 75hp at their peak, I think (which would have been late 60's, before 1972). I know that from 74-80 the MGB had a whopping 62hp, which was all due to emmission equpment....at it's peak, the very same engine was making about 110hp.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts