Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Wrong timing kit

The correct Gates part # is TCK294B.
The reason you should not use the "A" kit is because the upper idler is a smaller diameter, than in "B". This can cause a problem with aligning the tensioner.
However, if you get the "A" kit you should use the lower idler. Don't just toss it aside.

For engine's that have had the head milled you will want the "B" kit and the lower idler from the "A" kit. This will take up a bit of the extra slack in the belt from milling and allow you to properly tension the belt again.

Don't use an impact on the coolant tank bolt. Way overkill!
There are only a few threads on it and they are coarse. A simple ratchet is all you need and only takes a few seconds to remove.

Don't use an impact on anything period!

Don't place the jack on the back of the oil pan unless you notch the block of wood for the drain plug. There is a risk of flattening the pan and it leaking at the plug.
But do make sure the jack is centered.

Also never lift the full weight of the car by the oil pan. EVER. The weight of the engine is fine though.

At about 8:23,
Notice the oil on the exhaust side of the head near the Torx plug?
That, based on how well the valve cover looked to be on, is from the Cam Seal. It should be replaced.
Fel-Pro part # TCS45963 will accomplish this.
You have to loosen all the cam caps to instal the new seals properly, and MAKE SURE the lip on the cam is not 'rolled'.

DO NOT USE ANY TYPE OF ADJUSTABLE WRENCH AS THE VIDEO SHOWS.
Turn the crank bolt back in and rotate clockwise to align the crank and pin.
Why?
Because any marring on the crank snout could prevent the timing gear from coming off if it needs to at some point or prevent the crank dampener from sliding back on the crank easily.
There is also the risk of weakening the crank key, though small.
Just don't do it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, i thought the value of the video was just in being able to see the parts.

BIG question though - i have measured the upper pulley in both the A and B kits and they are both 60mm OD. most believe if you buy the A you can just use it without the lower pulley. How do we clear this up?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK - We'll get to the bottom of this! I have enough friends with focuses.......I just ordered the "B" kit and I'll compare everything it has to the "A" kit I already have here. I'll post the results, and if necessary I'll list a spare Focus kit for cheap on the marketplace. Peace out.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
hmmm,

Seems that Gates has changed the kits since I sold them, few years back.
Now the idlers are the same part # and you can look it up on the Gates site.

The idler in the B kit used to be 2mm larger than the A kit. I'm not sure when this changed. Also not sure if all kits are like this now or not, Cloytes for instance.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
interesting stuff... reminds me of doing timing belt's on Honda's ...minus the water pump. what i dont understand is when he sets the crank alignment... the bolt he's removing. i dont see what role that would play in timing the crank...

EDIT: nvm, just watched it again... holds the crank in place. makes sense.. torquing the crankshaft bolt to its torque spec and needing something to hold it in place. on part 2 what i dont understand is the wrench with the cam's... he loosens the cam gears from the cams then puts the belt on? not understanding that...

·
WRX/Focus:)
4,940 Posts
Wow, I would never crank on the key way like that with an adjustable. Just put the balancer back on and turn by hand or bolt on the balancer.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, I would never crank on the key way like that with an adjustable. Just put the balancer back on and turn by hand or bolt on the balancer.
yep, that was weird. Maybe I should apologize for posting the video......I just thought it had some worthwhile value. Hopefully nobody will follow it EXACTLY.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
It does, don't worry about that. And I'm quite sure many will find it helpful. It's just that when you don't know the mechanical aptitude of those who may view the video, you have to assume they know nothing. In which case 'monkey see monkey do' applies.

And I've been around the Focus basically since it came out. Built my car on my own and wrenched on a few others. I have a very high mechanical aptitude which also helps. I think like an engineer, most of the time.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I love our cars (we have multiple focus) but sometimes I think they should have increased the price of the car because it comes with a "learn to work on cars" course. Imagine the ad: Enjoy driving this car for a while and then you'll have the opportunity to replace the sway bar links! Things like squeaky rear brakes, fan controls, and thermostat housings will come later. After you have learned basic mechanical skills on those things you'll be ready to do the normal 120,000 fun to do timing belt change. What other car gives you so much for so little?

Back on topic - I'll post the dimensions of all the parts in the A and B kit when the B kit shows up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.