Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a very small window of above-freezing temperatures to finish the work on my wife's 03 Focus. I waited too long to call around and find out that timing tools are not things that any auto parts store in my area loan out.

I'm aware that they can be ordered for not too much, but they wouldn't get here before it gets back down to the single-digits here. I know I can make my own, and that's my ace in the hole, but before I go on that mad quest, let me ask:

If I mark the existing belt and sprocket, transfer the marks to the new belt, and line them up when I install it, shouldn't that work? I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't, but someone else's input would be nice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did mine two days ago with no timing tools. Just marked the cam gears (2 teeth on each) in relation to each other at TDC. So cam gears looked (cruedly) like this:

o= =o

They did move around during installation but I was always able to center them on each other.

And on the crank, I used the pin that slots into the harmonic balancer as a reference point. Crank didn't move at all though.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
It's not the "perfect" way to do it, but if you mark the pulleys & count teeth on the belt (old & new) to avoid disaster from marks getting rubbed off a belt it CAN be done & will run.

Crayon mark the belts & scratch/paint mark the pulleys, I added the "count" for having seen "marks" disappear from belts - loosing your reference point. Do the count before removing the belt for sure.

·
Registered
151 Posts
That's basically what my 14 year old just did on his old Metro, too.
Though honestly, a timing light really isn't that expensive...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ErinP, I forgot timing lights existed and wouldn't know how to use one.

Either way, we got it done using this method, and the machine works just fine. Thanks for your input, guys. =)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Good you're all set, tx for posting that.

The timing lights are only for setting ign. timing with a distributor, won't help with the mechanical setting of valve timing.

·
Registered
17,540 Posts
X2, a timing light is worthless there, it will only read the CRANKSHAFT position not cam.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Timing tool is a must to set the timing right. You can use a flat bar with the right thickness and a head bolt for the crank stop.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Timing tool is a must to set the timing right. You can use a flat bar with the right thickness and a head bolt for the crank stop.
I would say that the timing tools are much preferred but they are by no means required.

When my father and I changed the timing belt on my 95 Mystique w/Zetec we didn't have the timing tools. We marked the gears and swapped out the pulleys and belt. No issue for 118k miles until the tensioner split into three pieces on me. In that time I did get the timing tools and it was very easy to reset everything to get the new belt installed.

Another method I read about was cutting half of the original belt off. This makes space to start sliding the new belt on. Then once its started the rest of the old belt can be removed and the new one put into place. Not sure how well that would actually work in real life.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts