Focus Fanatics Forum banner

141 - 160 of 162 Posts

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
That is a bit ridicules, I paid $13 for 4 bolts from Subaru for my back seat and that was shipped to my door from Connecticut.

·
Registered
52 Posts
sigh.. new problem cropped up today. The engine I got came with almost everything on it. Almost. I already got rid of the old sohc engine. Something I never thought was different, is. The catalytic converter. SIGH. Ever try putting a square connection on a triangle fitting? Yeah it doesn't work. So now I need to get a new (since I can't get used I also found out today) catalytic converter. The lowest I've found on Ebay is $108. yay. The highest (hoggiest) was at Knechts for $604. Not even going to TRY the Ford dealership.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ok after waiting a week got the cat converter on, got the flexpipe connected (YAY found a perfect fit - something going right for a change!) .. go to connect the EGR tube... and it's missing a connection from it to the cat converter.. it's short a pipe fitting (adapter??) about 1 or 2 inches...

any ideas what it is, where to get it? Been to every shop and parts store and industrial fastener stores around me and noone has any metric threads that fit that sucker.. it looks like it's a metric size 21?

//edit
after finding a junkyard that let me tear apart an engine that still had a cat converter on it, I managed to find the connector fitting between the cat converter and egr pipe. sadly the egr pipe died a tragic death in the uninstallation process, and the fitting died a gruesome death when I took it to Midas for them to disassemble further... it was then that I found out Ford sells that part for $10.45.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You will most definitely need a ecu from that engine. I'm not completely sure on the pats system. Because it would be hard to find keys from a junk yard car where you might be pulling the ecu from. It would be much easier to just have the current keys reprogrammed. You need to take the whole car in to the ford dealer to have it done. I had mine done for $60 but I've heard others as high as $100. I would call around first.
I'm getting ready to finish mine. I have the original keys to the car with the sohc engine, the engine has been replaced with a dohc zetec and ecm and harness have all been changed and swapped.. do I still need to have the keys reprogrammed?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Meh...looked at the one in the junkyard..looked ravaged by someone else and i had no clue how to disassemble it so i left it alone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, I'm presently doing a swap for my ford focus 2007 sedan with a Sigma 1.6l to a zetec engine. I've completed the swap but the car won't start. Please can anyone give me pointers as the brain box wouldn't communicate with the computer to at least determine what the trouble is?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Does anyone have a pic of the full harness needed to make this swap? I picked up a cheap SOHC that has the famous valve seat problem. I want to be sure I have all the proper wiring when I go to do the swap.

·
Registered
46 Posts
No one was able to provide a pic of the harness needed to do the Zetec swap, so I am uploading the pic I took today. Right now the tally is: $200 2002 SOHC FF SE model, $300 for complete Zetec engine and trans, $45 for 2003 wiring harness and computer.

Attachments

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Sorry I missed the post. I rarely post on any car forums any more. Only picture I had was in bunched into a box. You'll need new coolant lines, a few vacuum lines, the coolant pipe which I have if you need one. I think I still do anyways.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The 2002 Zetec motor I purchased has a rectangular connector at the firewall on the passenger side and the 2003 wiring harness has an oval connector. I took lots of pics before I went to get my harness so I could grab all the other wiring I might need. The 2003 Zetec fuel injector wiring harness went right on the 2003 motor with only the TPS on the throttle body having a different connector. Anyone have an 2003 Zetec throttle body for cheap?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Never mind. I am going back and grabbing the throttle body off the car I got the harness from. That should be the last piece I need to begin the swap. Going to start this weekend. Anyone want any pics in particular?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there, about to do this same swap to my 2000 SE spi sedan in New Zealand, The car is still left hand drive in a right hand drive country (brought over here when wifey moved from the USA) the donor car I'm using is a 2000 zetec wagon (right hand drive) everything of read it will be just the same conversion only thing I have stuck is that the RHD has 2 fuel feed lines from the tank instead of 1 like on the US models so I'm guessing I'm using the pump and extra fuel line as well.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
That would be a return type fuel system, one feed line & one return.

Different engine management system than USA versions entirely, little from this thread is likely to apply.

·
Registered
4 Posts
True thanks, all other information on the swap still will work, only one thing I will have to have done is the end of my existing power steer line is get the end changed to suit the zetec pump at the local hydraulic place as I don't have access to a LHD line, cheers

That would be a return type fuel system, one feed line & one return.

Different engine management system than USA versions entirely, little from this thread is likely to apply.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As of the past Saturday my car is back on the road with the euro zetec engine transplant. I had to change fuel tank and pump, all fuel lines complete engine harness and ecu and harness back to fuel pump. Thanks to all he info on here it made it a lot easy to do :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am writing this in hopes that someone is still paying attention to this thread

I recently purchased 2 Ford Focus sedans, one is a 2001 LX that had the SOHC SPI and the other is a 2002 SE that has a DOHC Vin Code 3 engine. The body for the one with the DOHC engine is in really bad shape where as the other body is in great shape but does not have an engine or transmission.

Here is my question,
Can I bolt the entire k-member with engine and transmission out of the DOHC car into the SOHC car? I know the wiring harnesses and the ecu will need to be swapped from the DOHC car also but to bypass having to have the key reprogrammed can I just swap the entire steering column instead and use the keys that match the column and ECU

·
Registered
46 Posts
You have the best way to do this swap. Two complete cars. Do a wholesale swap of engine and transmission between both cars. K member is the same. You are right about needing to swap the wiring harness and ECU. There is lots of info regarding all the pieces needed to swap between the cars to get this done. You should be able to swap the lock cylinders on the doors and the steering column to get around the key reprogramming issue. I have done this swap, but it was a while ago. I will help if you need it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
danvhp, thank you for your reply. I am planning to start writing up everything that I am going to need to purchase this weekend while I am around both cars (everything for the swap and the few missing body pieces I will end up needing), it seems easy enough I just wanted to make sure there would be someone on here available for help if needed. I am planning to replaced the timing belt and associated components while the engine is out of the cars also, is there anything else I should look at replacing while its out?

141 - 160 of 162 Posts