Focus Fanatics Forum banner

121 - 140 of 162 Posts

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
If you don't get keys with the donor PCM, the car won't run until a PAIR of keys is coded into that PCM by a Dealer.

Tow to a Dealer for programming before you can attempt to start the car.

SOME locksmiths can do it as a house call, if one says they can program just one key do NOT let them touch the car - that can cause trouble difficult to fix at Dealer level without a new PCM.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ok thank you. man that kinda sucks. I used to mess with dodge neons and swap 2.4 stratus engines in them. All you needed was a motor mount adapter, a taller hood, and a little bit of soldering/heat shrink to the existing engine harness and you are done. these focus's require quite a bit more and I am not sure if I think it is worth it yet. it just seems like alot of crap for a motor swap especially when the motor we are talking about was a option in the focus from the dealer. i dunno for sure but i doubt the power gains will be as rewarding as i would want it to be with the time and money it is gonna cost. and im not the type of person to take my car/truck goes a shop or dealership for anything either. Does anyone know if i can at least use the 5 spd trans that came on this spi with a zetec?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey there

bought a junked FF 2000 wagon. finally tore the engine apart to discover massive damage in the head (lol sounds like the start of a joke) ...
...not sure if it's the same issue as heads dropping but clearly mine are exploded through, so a replacement engine is a must. $1400 for a SPI engine is out of the question, and I've found some engines for around 300-400..

I also HAVE a 2000 FF Sedan SE with zetec engine (NO I am NOT parting it out) that I drive currently, and it occurred to me that the dash panels are different vs the wagon.. when I am putting in the new zetec engine to the wagon, is it going to need a different panel or is it cool with what it has? (I see the list of stuff I need to get yes)

oh.. the wagon is spi automatic and putting a zetec automatic in.

I also have a question about swapping the foglights from a sedan to a wagon, but not sure if that needs to go to a different thread.. wasn't sure how the wiring for the switch would go?

lastly,... are you SURE I have to change the intake tube? They look the same to me. Also, I assume ATX is the Automatic Transmission harness?

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
ok thank you. man that kinda sucks. I used to mess with dodge neons and swap 2.4 stratus engines in them. All you needed was a motor mount adapter, a taller hood, and a little bit of soldering/heat shrink to the existing engine harness and you are done. these focus's require quite a bit more and I am not sure if I think it is worth it yet. it just seems like alot of crap for a motor swap especially when the motor we are talking about was a option in the focus from the dealer. i dunno for sure but i doubt the power gains will be as rewarding as i would want it to be with the time and money it is gonna cost. and im not the type of person to take my car/truck goes a shop or dealership for anything either. Does anyone know if i can at least use the 5 spd trans that came on this spi with a zetec?
No just the automatic.

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Hey there

bought a junked FF 2000 wagon. finally tore the engine apart to discover massive damage in the head (lol sounds like the start of a joke) ...
...not sure if it's the same issue as heads dropping but clearly mine are exploded through, so a replacement engine is a must. $1400 for a SPI engine is out of the question, and I've found some engines for around 300-400..

I also HAVE a 2000 FF Sedan SE with zetec engine (NO I am NOT parting it out) that I drive currently, and it occurred to me that the dash panels are different vs the wagon.. when I am putting in the new zetec engine to the wagon, is it going to need a different panel or is it cool with what it has? (I see the list of stuff I need to get yes)

oh.. the wagon is spi automatic and putting a zetec automatic in.

I also have a question about swapping the foglights from a sedan to a wagon, but not sure if that needs to go to a different thread.. wasn't sure how the wiring for the switch would go?

lastly,... are you SURE I have to change the intake tube? They look the same to me. Also, I assume ATX is the Automatic Transmission harness?
could I/should I worry about the dash panel or just leave it with what it has in the wagon?
Can you get me a picture of the dash panels in question. I'm not completely familiar with the wagons. I thought everything in a wagon is exactly the same minus the rear suspension.

Iirc you could use the same intake tube. Yes about the automatic harness abbreviations.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Tach. cluster swaps interchangeably with the base cluster, but only when the harness is the same type. For example, the duratec engine instrument clusters do NOT swap with zetec as the harness has a different connector.

If you're changing the entire harness including the instrument cluster connection, the instrument cluster to match needs to be used.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well I was under the impression that I needed to replace the harness or am I mistaken/ maybe I'm looking at the wrong harness? In the wagon, under the glovebox, big silver box, that big wide harness?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Went to a salvage yard today..list of zetec engines 2000... I happened to take a pic of my wagon tx the other day and it is pvab xs4p cf... One of the tx's I saw still attached to one of the zetecs was pvac 1s4p DA...is that a problem?

·
Registered
52 Posts
oh I see.. very different large connectors on the ends.

How hard is it to remove the harness while the engine is still in? And where is the best place to start removing the harness?
For the record, I've now done it with both... in and around engine and without the engine in. I can say that it is WAY EASIER without the engine in, but not impossible (albeit extremely frustrating!) .. I pulled an atx transmission harness from a junkyard vehicle last saturday... and have the tetanus shot to prove it! :D .. ow. At least it's all in place.. In fact putting it back in and soldering it up happened yesterday and it was actually a LOT easier than I dreamed it would be... then again I still have the brain laying out waiting for Ford to program it (was hoping they'd be kind enough to use some of their straps to re place it into the wall since I saved them the effort of unhooking it from there? :) ...

One or two things I ran into a problem was (and still looking for an answers) is on the engine harness I had to snip at the ac power line (small two wire plug off the first branch after the firewall cup, engine side in case I have the wrong part listed) (I can take a picture if needed) which on the harness side, the wires are blue and red (solid colors) but the plug from my old harness that goes to that junction is green with red stripe and green with orange stripe.. I hope it's green with red to red, and green with orange to blue?? Anyone know?
2: I can't figure out how to change the throttle cable (Auto) and the Cruise Control cable? Is there a guide to those somewhere?

Lastly,... In the first page of this thread, almost all of the pictures are not showing up.. only one or two.

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Yeah I know, most are fb links for some reason fb links stop working over time. Unfortunately this site won't let you edit old posts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ahh... Correction!! I had missed the first branch for the ACTUAL ac connection which is indeed green wires... But now that leaves me with another conundrum.. What is that red and blue wire and why can't I find it on the engine???

//edit
Went and looked at my working focus and realized it was the alternator plug.. And on repl engine harness o ly saw two wires.. Alt has 3...so dug around and found the missing grey wire. Soldering correctly now!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Having trouble with the harnesses, specifically, FINDING the correct one. (edit.. the correct Automatic Transmission harness.. I already installed the correct engine harness) The one I ordered is missing plugs like the crankshaft (??) sensor under the catalytic converter. Another one I pulled seems to be for a manual, as it has a wrong order of plugs on the grey side. [target][duh][mad]

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
What year is the car and what year is the engine you are working on? Ideally you want the engine and harness to be the same year your car is. They made some slight changes to the harness and throttle body from 02-03.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The car was originally a spi 2000 ford focus wagon, automatic. Junked the spi engine, got a 2000 zetec automatic and kept my transmission (BTW some slight gaps lining it up with the engine, my friend said he would silicone seal those)
Finally found a correct 2001 harness at the junkyard two days ago and got a refund from eBay. ...I think it was the LAST complete harness within 1000 miles of me, so very lucky.. If anyone is looking for this harness in the future the label on it says "98ag-12a690 TL" the TL letters in big underneath it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Also, perhaps I / my other mechanic friends are mistaken (we'll find out soon!) but it appears you can reuse the spi a/c compressor on the zetec? It has the same mounting holes just in different positions.. you have to turn it over and remove some guides but the bolt patterns are the same? Looking forward to having it done more soon as the weather clears up. [clap]

and btw.. future lesson learned by this computer guy (not a car guy) .. when you go to take an engine apart, disconnect the engine torque converter bolts from the transmission before you try to move the engine out! Way less headache!

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Yes I reused the ac compressor. I just had to bend the lines a little to get them to bolt up.

You shouldn't have any issues with a 01 harness on a 00 engine. Plus you should have a gap on the transmission either. Not sure what is going on.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes I reused the ac compressor. I just had to bend the lines a little to get them to bolt up.

You shouldn't have any issues with a 01 harness on a 00 engine. Plus you should have a gap on the transmission either. Not sure what is going on.
I'll take closeup pics the next time I go under it. It's a very small hairline gap, but a tiny gap it is. I've unfortunately found various "uh oh" things as we go.. broken plastic that had to be plastiwelded, severed fuel regulator line (sigh).. the aforementioned transmission harness.. today along with 3 missing transmission nuts ($22.40 at Ford?!?!?! WTF?!?!!?!?.. paid $3.30 at Ace) I found a bent front frame [8] at the bottom of the radiator. (I've never even driven this car) ..sigh. but everything lines up correctly and we got the engine mounted today, so I'm ecstatic that after 4 months we're finally making progress to getting this car up and running!!

Now I need to locate the vacuum hose diagram.

$22.40 for 3 nuts?!?!?!! Ford is NUTS!!

121 - 140 of 162 Posts