Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah I only had my focus for a month when I blew the engine. Then I found out that the spi engines were junk. So I started looking for a zetec. When I found one I couldn't refuse I picked it up. I won't have very much time to work on it for about a month. But that's a good thing too cuz the weather will warm up a little bit by then

·
Registered
27 Posts
zetec harnes ?

Did the ecu harness out of the zx3 fit your focus sedan ? I've been looking for one but I see only automatic and some pre april 02 focus at the wrecking yard.

Thanks.

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Yes.

FYI: 2000-2004 zx3, zx5, sedan and wagons all have the same wheel base.

2000-2004 Zx3, zx5, sedans and wagons are all the same from the bumper to the rear doors. The wagons have different rear doors and different rear suspension.

Sent from 34.0764° N, 118.4296° W

·
Registered
27 Posts
So the zx3 zetec harness you use didn't come out a little short to your
Sedan being it was from the zx3 coupe & no wire harness cutting was done right ?

Thanks!

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I did cut but only to make it easier to swap it in. But no it would have been the same length. Because to swap the harness requires droping the gas tank I didn't want to drop the tank so I spiced wires. The harness is the same from passenger seat back to the tank is the same. Colors and everything so I spliced into there. They both the spi and zetec use the same fuel pump, filter, ect.

A two door focus is the same length from the front bumper to the rear wheels as a sedan.

Sent from 34.0764° N, 118.4296° W

·
Registered
156 Posts
possible spi to zetec swap

I have recently come across a beautiful first gen focus se automatic that has just dropped a valve seat. I know the owner and they are willing to sell for around $400, nothing else is wrong with the car, it has new tires/brakes. my plan is do buy it to repair and sell. I already have replaced a piston and head on my old spi last summer. and it is still running strong. there is a parts zx3 5 speed with 100k on it nearby that I could get my hands on, they are willing to sell the engine and trans + wires for around $800, the problem is that the se is auto and the donor is mtx75. what's my best option? get the zetec? or buy a head + piston like last time. it was about $800 to get my old car running again so its really a matter of difficulty and what is worth the time. I have access to a garage, any ideas? opinions?

·
Registered
115 Posts
If anyone is looking to do this to an auto, I know there is a for sale listing that has 90% of of the parts...[giggle]

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have an 02 focus sedan.. and as you might well know the seats fell out of my sohc. My husband and i have done the zetec swap and thankfully i already had the mtx. The issue we have now is that it wont start. Will i need the ecu from a engine that had a 5spd? And what about the p.a.t.s. ring? Could i get the ecu ring and keys from the same car and save the hassle (and expense) of reprogramming?

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
You will most definitely need a ecu from that engine. I'm not completely sure on the pats system. Because it would be hard to find keys from a junk yard car where you might be pulling the ecu from. It would be much easier to just have the current keys reprogrammed. You need to take the whole car in to the ford dealer to have it done. I had mine done for $60 but I've heard others as high as $100. I would call around first.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wouldve assumed as long as it was a mtx ecu it would work.. could i get it flashed?? My ford dealer told me it would run almost $400 to get the ecu flashed and 2 keys reprogrammed.

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Your ford dealer is ripping you off.

You don't need to have the ECU re flashed, just swap in the ecu when you do the wire harness swap. you Just have to have the keys re-programmed. It costed me $60.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not the first time they did that to me!! Anyway since i have the mtx i need an ecu from a donor that was a 5spd?? And the mtx harness?? As of current we have an auto ecu and harness...

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Yes if you plan on going to swap from the auto to manual you will need the harness and ecu from the zetec you get the trans from. If your re-using the auto from the spi then you don't need the trans harness but you will still need the engine harness and ecu from the zetec.

BTW when i say engine harness I don't just mean the small harness that sits on the engine. I mean the harness that runs along the fire wall, into the wheel well then down under the dash and continues all the way back to the fuel pump.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My car is originally a 5spd. And i am well aware ofthe harness.. my question was if the if the ecu and the harness had to come from the same vehicle and if the keys had to match the ecu.

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
It would be easier if the the ecu came from the same year. No the keys don't need to match those can be easily re-programmed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Engine swap

I have read all the treads about the different engine swaps and just starting to swap a 2000 ZX3 zetec to a 2000 sedan with a blown split port. It appears that I have to swap the complete wiring harness and started the process.... what a cluster to say the least. It appears that the wiring harness goes from the engine and componants to the engine fuse box where a large bundle of wires go inside the car under the dash. Does all this need to be disconnected and removed? Can someone give me more details on this?

Thanks!

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
If your using the same year which you are, no you don't need the dash harness, fuse box, ect. Yes there is a connection to the fuse box under the hood but that's a simple connection. You just need the harness that the engine connects to along the firewall. That harness goes from the firewall into the fender well then into the car via under the glove compartment.

Which at that point it meets up with the ecu (which you also need). Then it goes down to the floor board and runs along the inside of the rocker panel all the way back to the fuel pump. At the passenger seat it has I think 4 wires that fork off to the center console which are also part of it aswell.

I believe I have pics of the glove compartment removed and you can see the seats and the carpet are pulled so you can see the path the harness follows.

·
Registered
4 Posts
want to do a new motor

i am getting a 02 focus i want to fin a svt motor an drop that in or someting close to it in an ideas hit me up add me as a friend

41 - 60 of 162 Posts