Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
I believe all the mounting points are the same, you'd need a new wiring harness/ECU, I don't think the 5 speed transmission bolts up to the SVT engine, so you'd probably need the tranny and modify the shifter accordingly. I'll let people who knwo what they're talking about correct me.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
do a search next time.. this gets asked like once a week

but to keep you from searching this time, no its not a straightforward swap...

the svt motor isnt that impressive... it dynos out stock at like 145whp 125whtq... it is nothing more than a zetec with cams and diff intake mani

i dont know why it gets so much hype... [screwy]

anyway... you'd need the complete wiring harness (like every wire from the dashboard forward), it takes a little work to get your 5-speed to work with the svt motor...

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
^
Don't forget VCT and higher compression...

But for what it would cost you, you could throw a turbo on your current Zetec and have better numbers than the straight SVT swap. Definitely not worth it from a dollar per horsepower standpoint.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Frogman is right... go with a turbo or S/C setup and you will be far more impressed. I have been driving my father's SVT for the last week while I am visiting him. I am highly impressed, but the P/T isn't what does it for me. It's those sticky tires and the great suspension.

BTW, for those who gripe about the SVT suspension not being low enough, you should check out this month's Sport Compact Car on hitting the right ride height and the bad driving dynamics that come from overlowering. Anyone ever do the calculation to find out what the optimal ride height is?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
So the main differnce between svt and a stock ztech are the cams and intake ?? So thats all I really need to have the same whp as a stock svt ??

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Poney said:
So the main differnce between svt and a stock ztech are the cams and intake ?? So thats all I really need to have the same whp as a stock svt ??

essentially... yes... there are quite a few ppl running around the board with mid 140's hp with crower 1's/fr 2's/cat 2's + basic bolt ons (i/h/e/p/2000 intake mani)...

·
Registered
25,620 Posts
Basically. Jeremy at Focussalvage.com and a few others have even swapped some of the SVT intakes onto ZETEC engines. From what I understand it worked well... He could give you any info on it.!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
The true benefit from an SVT intake is that the length of the runners are controlled by the PCM. No SVT PCM = No intake benefit.

Someone else already pointed this out, but the SVT compression ratio is also increased from the stock ZETEC. It also runs a completely different exhaust and intake configuration, and it has a 6 speed transmission, a completely different suspension system, bigger wheels, and stickier tires. All of those COMBINED greatly enhance the driving experience. If you want an SVT, buy an SVT. It is much cheaper than trying to make a clone. I would recommend going the FI route on your car. Cheaper, and greater gains.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The SVT engine bolts to the 5 speed just like the zetec, and all the accessories mount the same. The front cover and mount is different(so it will clear the VCT gear)The problem lies in making it run right. You can't use an SVT computer easily because the transmission speed sensor reads differently, and the wiring is extensive. You can bypass the VCT by using the stock zetec computer and wiring(with some modification) Then comes the dillema with the intake camshaft(the SVT uses multiple trigger teeth for the cam sensor, where the zetec uses one tooth) It's really not worth just swapping the engine alone. What would be best, would be using the SVT shortblock, FR head (the valve-to-piston clearance would have to be checked- it may be able to be machined to raise the compression even more) along with the SVT intake and header.

The SVT intake CAN be controlled without the SVT computer(and be tuned easier) The SVT dual runner intake is the best flowing intake when operating normally, and really steps up good cams too. The ports are huge, so you can port the head out more.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Dont you think it would be cheaper to sell youre car and just by an svt? After the labor and parts would it be at least a couple grand? From what Ive seen you can get an SVT for 2-3 thousand more than a basic model. Maybe im wrong though i was just thinkin ya spend a little more than the engine swap and ya get the suspension and all the other things with an SVT.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
i dunno where you u got her prices for svt foci... but the cheapest i saw while going through autotrader just now was $11,800.... okay so let's be generous and say that you paid 8,000 for your focus...

if you added $3800 dollars worth of go-fast/bling parts to your focus... it would look hella better AND be WAY faster than the svt ever thought of being....

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
EnigmaZV said:
I believe all the mounting points are the same, you'd need a new wiring harness/ECU, I don't think the 5 speed transmission bolts up to the SVT engine, so you'd probably need the tranny and modify the shifter accordingly. I'll let people who knwo what they're talking about correct me.
very true. It would be better to mod the Zetec engine or whatever engine you have. Besides the parts are rather expensive. Id rather save up the money and mod the engine I have.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts