Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 01 Zetec with around 80k miles. I have begun to notice a pulsating in my car. The only thing I can compare it to is a motorcycle (which I know leaps and bounds more about) loose chain problem. I took it to Ford and they replaced a solenoid or switch related to the fuel delivery system. They also commented on that my pump is on the "low" side of the psi range. They failed to notice the gigantic scrape out of number one ignition wire. I replaced the wires and the symptoms seemed to disappear. Last week they got worse again and I decided to go with ignition again and replaced the plugs with Autolite double platinums. Now I start it up and my car shakes uncontrollably. I am at a standstill with this. Frustrated. I also changed the oil with a WIX filter, AMSOIL 5W20 full synthetic, WIX air filter, WIX oil filter, and WIX fuel filter in July. I work at a parts store so I get an awesome discount on WIX.

Please HELP.

Hardt

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I would say that you missed the plug with the wire. Pull them off and try again, pretty easy to miss so don't feel bad we've all done it.

Also there is an extended plan of some sort on the 00-01 cars for the fuel pump, though it isn't a recall per se. Basically you just call Ford and have them run the VIN. If your car falls within the time frame you are eligible for a new pump assy at no cast so long as you complain of stalling around corners and safety concerns due to fuel starvation.

(BTW, the AirTex pump assy for your car is not correct and try not to sell it to people, which I know is counterproductive. I tried dealing with them and explained it all to them, but they wouldn't listen. This was back in 04-04 IIRC).

·
Dragon Warrior
309 Posts
I agree with John here. look at the fuel pump TSB/recall. I bet your car falls in it. Speaking of installing a plug wire incorrectly I did this the other day. it can be annoying.

you must make sure you hear the wire "click" so that you know it has engaged fully around the plug. also check the gap if you did not gap them. the gap in the box is always incorrect. and I hope you used Dielectric grease on the connections for both the plugs and the coil. it helps make sure you have a good connection and keeps moisture out.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I'm also gonna chime and and say check the PCV hoses, I going to assume the 01 has the same hose at the back of the engine below the intake ... mine had weakened and collapsed some. Others get leaks in the same hose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts