Focus Fanatics Forum banner

161 - 180 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Serpentine is setup now.

Now to move on to intake and cooling. The carbs are just sitting there and one of the air horns is off. I'm still measuring......

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Today we reinstalled the powder coated pedal box along with a new brake booster and master cylinder reservoir. Tomorrow we'll finish reinstalling the brake lines and then we'll bleed the brakes and clutch lines.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I didn't want you to watch me spill brake fluid all over your new paint.....[bawling] Besides, I deliberately ran the remote clutch bleeder line so it could be reached from the engine compartment so it was easy enough to hook up the bleeder bottle and pump the pedal a few times.

The brakes are definitely a two-man job. All the lines and the MC are empty. It's going to take some pumping. At least the brakes themselves are already done.

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
It's been a bit of a slow week for me. I've mostly been working on my wife's car. Regardless, here's an update. Dad adapted an aluminum radiator from a 1966 Mustang to fit the radiator supports. He doesn't own the Mustang anymore and had the radiator in the garage. The 16" fan he also had will be so much better than the stock MGB fans.

I was able to find some good radiator hoses that fit the car pretty perfectly. The upper hose came off of a Ford Probe GT and the lower hose is from a Firebird.

Also, I bought an original aluminum MGB hood off of Craigslist. It's VERY light compared to the steel hood (about 17 pounds). It has a handful of shallow dents and needs some work. I'm still debating whether or not I should repair it and use it. It's rare but not necessary for my build since I'm already ditching hundreds of pounds. If any MGB guys on here are interested in it, PM me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wish you had second thoughts as you were looking at it before I sold it to you because I still can't find a hood. I may have one lined up though,but would buy that back from you in an instant. Just needs a little bit of careful hand work. Let me know what you decide. Nice build though! You have my e-mail. Scott [race]

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Hey there, Scott. I'm glad to see you found my build thread. I'll make sure you're the first to know if I end up wanting to sell the hood. I think I'm going to take the dents out (very carefully) sometime soon. If anything, I plan to keep it as a spare for the next MGB!

Steel hoods shouldn't be too hard to find. I'll email you some links. [thumb]

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
We've been making some good progress lately! Dad and I drove out to Melbourne, FL to meet up with our friend to help us create an intake manifold for the ZX9R carbs. He's a very skilled engineer who has built up some very nice cars. His current project is a Nissan 350z powered by a VR6 engine that's built for an estimated 700+whp! Check out his build here: http://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/570751-turbo-vr6-in-350z.html

We had to do a lot of careful measuring to get the right compound angles and distance. Measuring, cutting, and welding this manifold was certainly a tedious task. Amazingly, Ed was able to TIG weld everything up very nicely. The runners had some pretty tight, hard to reach areas but he managed to get the job done. [headbang]

We test fitted the carbs on the car and on my spare cylinder head. We have just a little more work to do on it before I can powder coat it. Dad routed a channel on the back side of the manifold that reaches each of the ports so we could add a fitting for a vacuum line.

The cooling system is essentially finished. We just need to add a relay and wire up the fan. I was pretty pleased with how clean and simple it all looks. I kept the original reservoir tank just to keep a somewhat stock look on the car.

We're getting closer and closer to completing the swap. I can't wait to knock it out. [wrenchin]

·
Registered
115 Posts
This whole build just screams quality! keep up the good work
Agreed. You guys are knocking it out fast and doing it right. It makes me rethink everything I'm doing on mine just to match the quality I see in yours. Awesome job!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks! My son is the real nit-picky one who keeps me from just tossing stuff together. If I were in charge it would look pretty ratty!

Almost there - I finished port matching the manifold to the head and I'll tap the vacuum ports tonight. Then he can get that and some other junk powder coated.

Once we get the manifold back, all that's left is hooking up the fuel lines, ignition, and getting the car to the exhaust shop. I sure hope it doesn't end up sounding like a Kawazuki.........

On the ignition side we decided to use a coil pack from a Chrysler. They have HEI style terminals which gave us a better selection of longer plug wires which let us mount the coil on the firewall shelf, away from the engine. The plug wires are universal 8.2mm Taylors with a straight boot. We cut the valve cover seals from the old wires and fed the new wires thru them. This way we ended up with a Focus ignition wire seal on a straight plug boot, but with long wires that we can add HEI style ends for the coil. The 2.4 Chrysler coil has a different connector but wires up the same way and has the same spec as a Ford coil.

We'll get some more pics up this weekend.

BTW, I need a new avatar. I sold the silver XJS in the photo at the beginning of this thread. I'm ready to finish this MGB so I can get back to looking for another V12 Jag to tinker with.....

161 - 180 of 320 Posts