Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 320 Posts

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Again, excellent work guys. These are my favorite kind of threads [thumb]

It's pretty cool that you're working on something together. I've tried to get my dad to work on cars together with me but I know he would just do it to make me happy.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Tomorrow my dad and I are going to a local junkyard to hopefully find a decent engine. In the meantime, I hope you guys don't mind me posting some photos I took earlier tonight. I was able to take much better photos of the cylinder head using ambient lighting and a tripod. I can't wait to get this engine built and get the zx9r carbs on there.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Very nice, I hope your not planning on using that factory exhaust manifold are you? It'd be best that you get a long tube and chop it up to fit the RWD chassis or make your own header. That stock one flows like poo.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Very nice, I hope your not planning on using that factory exhaust manifold are you? It'd be best that you get a long tube and chop it up to fit the RWD chassis or make your own header. That stock one flows like poo.
I'm not 100% sure what the plan is for the header/exhaust. I'll probably use the stock manifold to connect to the existing exhaust when we initially fit the engine in the MGB. The OD of the stock exhaust tubing on the MGB is a whopping 1.75". [giddy] The build would still benefit from a better exhaust system.

We actually found that we could probably adapt a 1.8L Miata header if we really wanted to to go with a long tube header. (This is a photo of a cheap-o OBX header).

The spacing between ports should almost be the same. I don't think it would outflow the stock exhaust.

I've also considered installing an aftermarket shorty header and pairing it with a better exhaust.

Home made headers are also something we considered but we'll just have to wait until we get to that point of the install. Anyways, I hope this made sense. I've been pretty sleep deprived lately.[sleep]

·
Registered
68 Posts
Within the performance and rpm envelope we're working in, there's probably not 5 hp difference between a stock header and an aftermarket shorty. Eventually we'll probably make our own or make an adapter for the 1.8 Miata header. The bigger gains will probably come from selecting good mufflers and pipes.

There are also some British RWD headers available but shipping is really a deal killer. The design we'll follow is tri-y with 1-4 and 2-3 each paired, then those will feed another merge under the car. Similar to the obx above as well as the SVT headers.

But the stock ones will be easy to work with for now and should provide good enough performance.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Go long tube if you can, it's where most of the gains come from in a zetec. Shorties only give low end power but the long tubes give all the low end gains that a shorty does but also gives top end power which the zetec needs. You'll be really choking that motor down with the stock or shorty header when you throw that head and cams on there. Not that it'll be a turd though in that light MG lol

·
Registered
747 Posts
nice!!!! you certainly win the prize for "Coolest dining room table centerpiece".

I hope your not planning on using that factory exhaust manifold are you?
that's what I was thinking too. You're trading a 1x67mm throttle body for 4x40mm (?) carbs; I would think you'd want higher throughput on the other side of the head as well.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
if you do build your own manifold, I'd love to see one with unequal length runners. Subaru noise ftw.

·
Registered
68 Posts
if you do build your own manifold, I'd love to see one with unequal length runners. Subaru noise ftw.
Subies sound the way they do because of the H4 firing order placement, not unequal lengths. You can get similar exhaust notes by pairing the appropriate cylinders on a Zetec and running duals.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Nice Project!

And MUCH more interesting than another V8 conversion.

This is the type of engine a more "current" MBG would have used, and even a "Brit" type since they are popular there!

British sports cars always used whatever sedan engine was commonly available (usually modified for a bit more performance to make it "sporty") and with a similar size & weight this should maintain the "character" of the car while bringing the power level 'up to speed" (grin).

Heck, when I had a TR4, I learned THAT engine was sourced originally from a TRACTOR! Change the cam, add a couple larger carbs & a header, Voila! you have a "sports car" engine!

Enjoy the project!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Heck, when I had a TR4, I learned THAT engine was sourced originally from a TRACTOR! Change the cam, add a couple larger carbs & a header, Voila! you have a "sports car" engine!
that sounds about right - I think the engine in my Spitfire was originally sourced from a lawnmower and then de-tuned to lower the horses, the redline, and the fuel economy. [hihi]

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
UPDATE: I'm going to hold off on buying an engine for a few weeks. It'll allow me to increase the budget for the project. In the meantime, I might work on the rear suspension some more, upgrade the fuse block, and try to fabricate the intake manifold. There's a lot to be done on the MGB. I'll be updating the thread with any progress.

nice!!!! you certainly win the prize for "Coolest dining room table centerpiece".
Thanks! My fiancée is growing tired of the decor when we have guests over. [giddy]

Nice Project!

And MUCH more interesting than another V8 conversion.

This is the type of engine a more "current" MBG would have used, and even a "Brit" type since they are popular there!
I'm glad you can understand the engine choice. [8D] I feel that the Zetec engine is well sized for the MGB and it's very common/affordable in both the US and UK. There are a lot of online forums for support and parts.

·
Registered
747 Posts
In the meantime, I might work on the rear suspension some more
is that a single transverse leaf-spring like on the Spit? If so, do you have to resort to a custom fab or are there aftermarket sources?

Mine was sinfully easy to access & replace. And, I found a local shop that fabricated custom leaf springs for Vette's and they were quite eager to get their hands on their first UK job, but alas it was too $$$$.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
is that a single transverse leaf-spring like on the Spit? If so, do you have to resort to a custom fab or are there aftermarket sources?

Mine was sinfully easy to access & replace. And, I found a local shop that fabricated custom leaf springs for Vette's and they were quite eager to get their hands on their first UK job, but alas it was too $$$$.
They're semi-elliptic. They should be easy to work on as long as the front eye bolt isn't rusted/stuck. My MGB is pretty rust free so it shouldn't be an issue.

Reproduction leaf springs are available at vendors like Moss Motors and Victoria British. They run about $100 each. I'm not 100% confident in the quality of the asian reproduction leaf springs. There are a lot of mixed reviews depending on the vendor and when they were made. I'm hoping that if I ask VERY politely, my family friend who owns a machine shop will help me re-arch my current leaf springs.

41 - 60 of 320 Posts