Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 02 svt focus that threw a rod, is it possible to just trow in a regular zetec motor. I know i will suffer performance but the cheapest svt motor near me is $1250 compared to zetec for $350. will it have any wiring issues or will i just have a spare vct plug?

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
You don't want to do that. There are plenty of used svt motors on this site for MUCH less. You will never sell the car with a less powerful than stock engine. Completely not worth the effort.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
it will be much more time and effort. you need new wiring harnesses, computer, different transmission, shifter and tower, cv shafts, intake and exhaust manifolds, new catalytic converter and flex pipe, that's just off the top of my head.

Matt

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
do yourself and someone else a favor and maybe try trading your car with a bad motor for someones regular focus with a good motor? win win really

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
The transmission will NOT bolt up. You could probably get a running zetec for what you can get selling your blown up svt.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Social distancing in the cave
5,938 Posts
The trans WILL bolt up. The SVT engine is a modified Zetec. With the Zetec computer/harness it would be possible. There are SVT engines available for as little as $500 in the bst. Your better off just to put an SVT motor back in. There are several short blocks also.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Use the standard zetec short block. And the SVT head. It will still lose a little power. But it will get u back on the road. A little cheaper. Get the SVT block rebuilt.

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
It will bolt up, but he would have to get a zetec flywheel and complete clutch... So add several hundred for that, too.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can use the a svt trans on the zetec motor it does bolt, all in all he svt engine it based off he zetec block so the trans will work!

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
Right, thats what i meant. More work than its worth. You can sell a rolling svt for more than most zetec focuses go.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
haha I think you got this one backwards dont the honda's/acuras do really well with stackin up the miles?

·
Registered
797 Posts
The bottom ends are the same aside from the svt having forged rods. Everything else is the same. The svt makes it power in the head, cams, and intake and exhaust. If you buy the zetec you put your svt head on the zetec block and it will be perfect just down on power which you said you didn't care about.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
haha I think you got this one backwards dont the honda's/acuras do really well with stackin up the miles?
yeah but i want to keep my resale value rsx-s with 80K miles = $$$ lol

Better check the head for bent/broken valves.
yeah im praying for the best lol

The bottom ends are the same aside from the svt having forged rods. Everything else is the same. The svt makes it power in the head, cams, and intake and exhaust. If you buy the zetec you put your svt head on the zetec block and it will be perfect just down on power which you said you didn't care about.
awesome thats what i wanted to hear

The SVT block has piston oilers. Should make the same power. Just a little weaker as far as durability.
will there be a problem since the zetec dosent have the piston oilers?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts