Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Please bare with me - I've only recently started to work on my cars.

I'm going to attempt a first oil and filter change to my 2002 Focus ZTW with a Zetec engine. The 8th digit of the VIN is 3. The first photo attached shows my engine bay.

I'm trying to find out where the oil filter is located. I've found some pictures online and marked where I think where the filter is - on the back side of the engine just below where the alternator sits. I'm attaching the photos - can anyone confirm the location is right?

The filter seems a little hard to get to... But I just ordered a pair of ramps (plus jack stands for reinforcement), which I hope will give me enough space to work. If you have any tips to share, I'd appreciate!

Attachments

w/ my magic bag
Seems like you found where the oil filter is for the zetec's....Use a good filter as well as 5-30w synthetic oil....

Registered
If you are interested...

As an upgrade, the FL-1A filter fits on most of the Zetecs (I use that). A few Zetecs have a slight interference with part of the casting on the block, but can be ground off. I didn't need to do that on mine.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Seems like you found where the oil filter is for the zetec's....Use a good filter as well as 5-30w synthetic oil....
Thanks for your reply! I just ordered an Amazon brand high mileage fully synthetic (5W-20) which gets good reviews. I notice some people use 5W-30 - is that better on high mileage? Or in a hot climate?

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
If you are interested...

As an upgrade, the FL-1A filter fits on most of the Zetecs (I use that). A few Zetecs have a slight interference with part of the casting on the block, but can be ground off. I didn't need to do that on mine.
Thanks for your tip! I did notice on some DIY videos for early Zetec Focus's that there's not much room around where the filter is. I found a thread where you explained why FL-1A makes a better filter. Plus FL-2005 seems hard to find. Appreciate the input!

Thats What She Said
FL-1A? the FL-400S is usually what I have ran. never tried the FL-1A on the zetec.

Registered
The 2005 filter is no longer made, you use the 400S now.

FL-1 fits fine but rubs slightly at the outer flat cutting boss further out on the engine block, carefully take an oil wrench that does not damage the filter and tighten the filter with that.

Thats What She Said

FL-1 fits fine but rubs slightly at the outer flat cutting boss further out on the engine block, carefully take an oil wrench that does not damage the filter and tighten the filter with that.
Does the FL-1 have all the same Anti-Drain backs or bypass valve? IIRC there was some concern back in the day when people were looking at the FL-1 and on the Zetec had concerns on it due to the horizontal install position vs a vertical.

Registered
Does the FL-1 have all the same Anti-Drain backs or bypass valve?
Yes, it has both.

BTW: I only recommend the FL-1A and not an equivalent for the Zetec. The diameter of the equivalents varies a little and may not fit. I have been using Ford/Motorcraft FL-1A filters since the early 70's on various cars and found them to be extremely reliable.

Registered

FL-1 fits fine but rubs slightly at the outer flat cutting boss further out on the engine block, carefully take an oil wrench that does not damage the filter and tighten the filter with
Does the FL-1 have all the same Anti-Drain backs or bypass valve? IIRC there was some concern back in the day when people were looking at the FL-1 and on the Zetec had concerns on it due to the horizontal install position vs a vertical.
Vertical or horizontal wouldn't matter. Pressure relief setting, thread size, gpm flow, are.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts