Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 with the zetec engine and I know all the specs, but im going to be upgrading it soon for like a track car, so basically I just wanted to know how much power estimated can I get using an N/A build. thanks guys

·
Registered
658 Posts
I was thinking around 200hp is tops for N/A. Thats gonna take quite a bit of green to get it there though.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
I was thinking around 200hp is tops for N/A. Thats gonna take quite a bit of green to get it there though.

yep^^

That's full exhaust cams tb intake and a tune.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you want more you will need:

Off the Shelf Parts:
UDP's
AC delete
Powersteer Delete
Swap to a electric Water Pump
Forged Rods and Pistons @ 11.0:1 CR
ITB's
Aftermarket ECU
Ported and Polished Head with Larger Valves (best get a SVT Head and just port it)
Possibly Larger Injectors

In theory that should net you to about 260-270hp @ the engine.

·
FF Affiliate
31,097 Posts
If you want more you will need:

Off the Shelf Parts:
UDP's
AC delete
Powersteer Delete
Swap to a electric Water Pump
Forged Rods and Pistons @ 11.0:1 CR
ITB's
Aftermarket ECU
Ported and Polished Head with Larger Valves (best get a SVT Head and just port it)
Possibly Larger Injectors

In theory that should net you to about 260-270hp @ the engine.
Im not sure where you got all this info but most of it wont make any performance gains and you do not want to run the SVT head on the Zetec engine , there is no gain from doing that either

Rods and pistons yes , the rest no

Like stated mid 160 to low 170 to the wheels is going to be about right
SVT header
raised compression
find a ford racing head
rods and pistons to about 10.5 compression
tune
3 inch Exh with ORP
Comp stg3 cams
etc etc

Tom

·
Registered
369 Posts
Pistons maybe, rods not stock if its a track rat and run hard. We built with toms direction a very mild build Duratec and went with stock rods, guess what broke and took the whole bottom end with it, the number 2 rod possibly lost oil at the big end based on the look of the crank, but the two inches left of the rod really made a mess of the bottom. RODS for a track build.

·
Registered
174 Posts
@tom
From all the research I've done on this forum, uk forums, locust forums and my own experiments.

Reason I said to use svt head is because the ford racing ones are hard to find and very expensive. The svt head comes with larger valves than the stock Zetec counterpart. A good port and polish should do alright. ITB's have proven power increase just look at dunnel and jenvey,weber,omen all producing ITB kits for these engines claiming same hp gain independantly of each other. You would be wise to run an aftermarket ecu on itb's if not using an enclosure.

I agree that performance gains for na Zetec is dependant on tuner perspective, but I don't get the will not add any power claim.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well if that's the case then the standard "go turbo and be done with it" saying would apply, and Tom has the best bang for buck kit.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Makes it really hard for people who want to explore NA get any information and really discourages them. I find that its easier to get more information and help for Zetec NA mods from the Locost Forums and the TalkFord & PassionFord forums from the UK.

I have seem some really spec'd up ST170 engines and Zetec engines on those sites, on in particular showing 270BHP on ITB's, Forged internals, 12.0:1 CR, Steel Crank Knifed Edged and a massive head - revved out to 8k.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I would offer personal experience ... but why. The internet knows all I guess ...

Stock head, mild port, Comp III's, shave, rods and pistons, SVT header. That will put you near the 160whp mark on good fuel/tune.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Iminhells thread has a good post on getting 200HP at the crank.

you either need a SVT Head or Ported head with cams.
SVT header with full exhaust,
Intake, raised compression, injectors, TB, 93 octane tune

He did it, but in very creative "cheap" way

Mustang TB, (junkyard) SVT head, ect....

you can probably find a JR supercharger for 1200 bucks, put a svt header on it and a tune and your 200 at the wheels or more

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah so far I have a Sri and a cat back exhaust. I'm doing a tune and cams next.
I will say this though. I like this new focus alot better than my old spi. Everyone told me to get the zetec and before i never had the money but with this new job in making alot more so i have alot of play room. Glad i found this new se so cheap

1 - 18 of 18 Posts