Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I just picked up a 2000 focus with a 16v zetec that had a blown motor. I found another motor and got it with 2000 miles on it. It was out of 2002. Now a couple of questions:

I looked over the faq and read through the engine removal stuff, do I need to removal all that drivetrain stuff just to swap engines? I still need to pick up a haynes manual and see how they do it. But any insight on that would help.

I noticed the wiring harness on the intake manifold in the car is square and the one on the new one is rectangular. (the plugs is by the firewall). Can I just swap over the intake manifold and stuff that's in car now to the new 2002 engine?

Is there any other differences I should be aware of? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
everything should be the same except the 2k manifold is metal and the 2k2 manifold is plastic

·
FF Affiliate
31,456 Posts
Biggest thing is MAKE SURE that that new engine came from the same type transmission , you cannot install a crank trigger housing/sensor from a ATX into the MTX if you do it wont start and you will have to pull the engine or trans to change it

I tell most people to just change the housing and sensor from your old engine to make sure

As far as i know ALL the wiring harnesses were the same on all years from 2000 to 2004 on the focus zetec if on your new engine it isnt make sure you have a Focus engine not a zetec ZX2 or mondao

Tom

·
Registered
743 Posts
2k manifold is plastic but it looks better

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. The car had a square connector comming off the intake manifold, the 2k2 had a rectangular one. We just swapped the harnesses and there's nothing left over. Where is the crank trigger housing located? Pic? We got the new engine mounted in there but nothing hooked up to it yet. I trust the place we got it from to be out of a focus, but is there any other signs its not?

·
Registered
789 Posts
the crank sensor hooks in to the transmission. i broke mine off a few months ago in an accident and had to get it replaced. it is the only hole in the bell housing, minus the screw holes, it should be about 3/4 in in diameter and i believe it is on the lower left side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts