Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just lost my 5 spd Trans today -30 of course something let go internally I have NO gears not even reverse ,Im at a cross roads now I already have a spare trans waiting to go, Im going to be doing the clutch at the same time what is everyones opinion/experiences with a light weight flywheel I have to get the factory one turned I was looking at a new flywheel at the same time,
Thanks

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
I have the spec 3+ clutch and lightweight flywheel, i love it!! it does chatter, but the throttle response is nice!! it definitely revs faster!! but absolutely no problems w/ it!

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
I don't know if you can use a stock clutch on a Lightweight flywheel, correct me if i'm wrong, but a bell is going off in my head. maybe its aftermarket clutch w/ OEM flywheel. eh, i dunno.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
i ahve a lightweight flywheel in my car with the stock clutch, only drove it about 1500 miles but seemed ok revd up so friken fast

·
Registered
975 Posts
i would go with it. it does rev faster and adds a noticable power increase. and like mlb said it does chatter pretty good.

·
Registered
743 Posts
the chatter do go away after a while. i had a stage 4 clutchmater now i have the stock clutch on.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
how bad is the chatter?

what causes this? the flywheel? also is it when your in gear or when when the clutch is pressed in?

·
Registered
975 Posts
its not actually flywheel chatter. its called gear rollover. all mtx's will have it, some worse than others, but with a lighter flywheel it makes the sound louder.
its when there is play in the gears.
its there when in neutral and clutch out, also when the engine is boging down at low rpms.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
really?! funny you say that i always wondered what that rattleing noise was when at low rpm's. i have stock drivetrain, do you think this could still be what that noise is?

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
if you are going to have the tranny out anyway you might as well go all out and basically make it bullet proof. you are getting a lightweight flywheel which is a good start. i got a fidanza 8.5lb and love it so far. if you are going to put mods to the car to make it faster but you dont plan on putting a turbo or supercharger on it you should go ahead and get the 4.06 final drive ring and pinion gears too. that would probably make a very noticeable difference. i have a set up for sale in the buy/sell area of the site if you want to take a look. however the weakest part of the mtx is the stock differential. i blew mine all to hell and busted a hole the size of a dollar bill in my transmission case effectively destroying my tranny because of it. buy a torsen or quaife. the quaife is more expensive but it has a lifetime warranty whether it is raced or not and the tosen doesnt have a warranty at all unless the diff is defective but it doesnt matter because ive never heard of either one ever breaking. this is all assuming your focus has the 2.0L DOHC zetec engine and the mtx-75 tranny. if you want to get the final drive gears like i was talking about be absolutely POSITIVE to check when the tranny came off the assembly line. if the tranny you are putting back in your car was made before october of 2000 the 4.06 gears will NOT work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if you are going to have the tranny out anyway you might as well go all out and basically make it bullet proof. you are getting a lightweight flywheel which is a good start. i got a fidanza 8.5lb and love it so far. if you are going to put mods to the car to make it faster but you dont plan on putting a turbo or supercharger on it you should go ahead and get the 4.06 final drive ring and pinion gears too. that would probably make a very noticeable difference. i have a set up for sale in the buy/sell area of the site if you want to take a look. however the weakest part of the mtx is the stock differential. i blew mine all to hell and busted a hole the size of a dollar bill in my transmission case effectively destroying my tranny because of it. buy a torsen or quaife. the quaife is more expensive but it has a lifetime warranty whether it is raced or not and the tosen doesnt have a warranty at all unless the diff is defective but it doesnt matter because ive never heard of either one ever breaking. this is all assuming your focus has the 2.0L DOHC zetec engine and the mtx-75 tranny. if you want to get the final drive gears like i was talking about be absolutely POSITIVE to check when the tranny came off the assembly line. if the tranny you are putting back in your car was made before october of 2000 the 4.06 gears will NOT work.

This is a daily driven car see autocross once a week forced induction is not an option (already have a Supra for the toy) this is a low cost daily driven vehicle
final drive ? 500$
lsd 1000$
clutch 300$
FW 2-300$
not about to sink that kind of cash into a "Focus" for I think minimal gains
Thanks for the info!
Im doing the fw and clutch since I will be tearing it down since the clutch has 260k on it FW will help the revs during autocross

·
Registered
975 Posts
im really thinking about picking up ur 4.06's. ill have to see how the car feels aftr i put on deck FR head on.

and def. go with the light flywheel.

·
Registered
975 Posts
the final drive is only 150 new. and focusmaniac has one for sale for 100 new

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
if you already have the tranny out you are looking at 1500 total getting all that stuff bought and professionally installed. 600 flywheel and clutch 500 LSD (if youre going to to autocross a LSD would help you alot) and 100 final drive gears.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dont get me wrong I completly agree with you but I can get a clutch and FW for 400 Can installed since I will be doing it myself Im in the middle of a frame up restorationon another vehicle so funds a bit tight.'
I would love an LSD for autocross!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts