Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is probably a re post....but here it goes....i just got my car back from putting a new motor in....i took the FI kit off and returned it back to stock....i got a K n N SRI from a friend....but the problem is it is Hummmmmmmmmmmming really loud.....not just the sound of the intake...i am returning the car back to FI soon..(making a couple mods on my turbo kit)...just want to know if i have to worry about n e thing?...maybe a leak off the intake manifold????....the noise is coming from the filter?...please help...

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Is the K&N vibrating against something?? Look around under there for what is making the buzzing, its something loose somewhere.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
You said you put a new motor in- is it stock? cams, sprockets, etc? Where I'm headed is if the valve timing is altered, that could conceivably change the induction sound.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Collapsed PCV hose... look down under the t-stat housing and find your PCV valve. now folllow that line while the car is running and find where the line is 'pinched' together by vacuum. Replace it.. done

·
Registered
701 Posts
Does it growl when your idle and not driving? When I put my steeda on at first it did that.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i will look for the pvc......only at idle it does it....ill be sitting at a light and it will make this horrific sound like the car is sick....when i turn on the AC it gets really bad....when my car decides to idle at 800rpm then it is silent but otherwise.....really annoying.....yes the motor is bone stock....just minor bolt ons

·
Registered
701 Posts
Normal. I think I posted something like this a long time ago when I put my intake on but I cant find the thread. It goes away after about... 500 - 1k miles or something.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i really hope u r right about the 1000miles....im at 550 right now....i have noticed that is it quieter at slightly higher rpms.....so maybe it is a sign of getting better?....thnx

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well....i am at 1100 miles and no sign of getting better.....the intake is loud..LOUD...i bought a CAI and it made it louder so i put back on the SRI....it is almost like the intake is blowing air instead of sucking it......any ideas?.....please....getting desperate

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I just re-read this thing from the top and realized you have a turbo on here. Is there a waste gate, and is it operating? i.e.- could the pressure behind the turbo be too high under load (the compressor blades are cutting through air instead of moving it)? I assume you already checked for intake leaks on the boost side of the turbo... yes?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no turbo....blew motor....and when i put in new motor this noise came with it.....i am going to put the F/I back on soon....wanna get all things fixed 1st

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Is this loudest at high RPMs but partial throttle? If the RPM's stay constant, does the sound also stay constant?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
only hear it at idle no noise when i am on the throttle...at 800rpmi can hear it vaugly and at 1200 it is loud....so i dunnoo...like i said it is almost like it is blowing air out the intake

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Without actually hearing this, I'm going to venture a guess that you're hearing the normal sound of air rushing arount an almost closed throttle plate. The stock airbox muffles this sound. I'll bet it's quiet at wot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts