Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shopping for a new car to take the place of my wifes car. ( jumped time) and I came across a 2003 ZX2 with 40000 miles on it. at a dealers lot today. I've liked the look of the little cars since the body change. I don't really need any thing for a race car. I've got the Mustang for that. I was just woundering if it would have the same motor as the Focus? And what are some things to look for. The one thing I know I want is the extened warrenty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I believe its basically the same but that the ZX2s version of the zetec had VCT - Variable Cam Timing, I know my wife's 98 ZX2 did w/ the zetec while my zx3 didnt

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I havn't got too look under the hood yet, But I just thought that the 2.0 DOHC motor would be the one to hope for right?

·
Registered
85 Posts
The 2.0 liter Zetec w/ VCT is the only engine in any ZX2. Stock for stock ZX2's are a bit quicker than a ZX3/Focus due to lighter weight and, I believe, better gearing, aerodynamics (if you want to get that far into it), etc.

Stock they are 130HP/127TQ, so a teeny bet less torqier than a ZX3 engine.

If it happens to be an S/R model it comes with an intake, higher capacity clutch, and a sportier suspension (and if it's an S/R, congrats because they are very hard to find).

Hope that helped.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this one is an auto. The wife can't drive a stick. :(

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh and I found a 2003 with 40K for around 8500 with a warrenty or a '98 with 78K for 4600 but no warrenty witch do you think would be better?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
it really depends on what you're after... if u want the warranty.. go for the 03... if u want something inexpensive... go with the 98... i'm fairly confident that you would work the 98 down to 4k if u tried...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea I really need the warrenty, Never had one on a car before. I guess I can go and drive it . and cheack it out real good today. are there alot of ez mod for that car? I would mind doing some little stuff just to pep it up some.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
a couple of mods for the zx2. pretty much as modable as the zx3 engine.
a couple of cheap hacks.
1. you can remove the 2 airbox resonators

Thats all I can think of in the diy section.

if you want some on the zx2 info check
zxtuner.com

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you have any question about anything ZX2-related, ask on teamzx2.com. All the gurus reside there.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok thanks guys,
I just got home with an '02 zx2 with 19,112 miles on it for about 7 grand, But The guy is running the creidt to see if I can get on the "Z" plan so mabe I can get a zx3 '05 for around the same payments just for alittle longer. Oh by the way on the motor it has "VCT" not ZETEC what is the dif.?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts