Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a Focus Forums, but cant get anyone to answer me on Escape forums. I have a 2003 2.0L escape with a blow head gasket. If i decided not to pull the head and purchase a used engine, will one from the same year focus work? I know they use the same engine, but i cant find anywhere that talks interchanging them. Local salvage yards want twice the price for an escape engine vs a focus engine. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Again I apologize for it not being a focus specific question.

Thanks [cheers]

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Same motor. escape zetec & a focus zetec.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same motor. escape zetec & a focus zetec.
Your awesome, thanks for the super fast response. While selecting the motor on the salvage yards website, it asks if i want a smooth seem or raised seem runner. Which one do i want to match what was in my escape? Again thanks for the prompt response.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Smooth intake was only on the early Focus production '00 only IIRC.

A preferred intake for turbo applications, not a large improvement otherwise.

Don't know how many of the externals will match the Escape without modification, you may find it easiest to swap most of the Escape pieces.

We do have a few escape owners that hang out here for modification info., transferring what works for a Focus to their Escapes. More activity here means folks to chat with on the projects.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Smooth intake was only on the early Focus production '00 only IIRC.

A preferred intake for turbo applications, not a large improvement otherwise.

Don't know how many of the externals will match the Escape without modification, you may find it easiest to swap most of the Escape pieces.

We do have a few escape owners that hang out here for modification info., transferring what works for a Focus to their Escapes. More activity here means folks to chat with on the projects.
I figured I would need to use the Escape FEAD, exhaust manifold and intake. I guess if I go that route I will need to study the differences between the two engines side by side.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
If I could cudgel my noggin enough to remember the handle for the guy who's been using Focus bits on his escape.....

Hopefully he'll see this to tell you more.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
If I could cudgel my noggin enough to remember the handle for the guy who's been using Focus bits on his escape.....

Hopefully he'll see this to tell you more.
Hitup the search link.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
GhostTribute, and he's working with a Mazda Tribute, which is basically an Escape.

Intake doesn't matter. You'll be using yours. So just buy which ever is cheaper and available.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Talk about Senior moments,

Escape on the brain blew Tribute right out of there.

I've enjoyed following what GhostTribute posts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well brought the car home today, never towed anything, certainly was an experience. The PO said it would spew coolant out of the side of the engine if it was driven, so i haven't tried taking it anywhere. I drained a little of the coolant and it looked like used old coolant, there was no oil in it, and no coolant in the oil. I let it idle for i would say 20 minutes and didn't see any coolant dipping or spewing from anywhere, is it possible it only does it while driving it? The plugs looks like normal old used plugs so i don't think it is burning it either. I have priced out the Head gasket kit, head bolts, timing set and the special timing tools and it would be about $210 for everything. I can get a used engine from a focus with 83k miles for $250 from a local salvage yard. What route would you guys take? As always thanks a heap from the responses, more than i have gotten on other forums [cheers]

Pics - For $250, i think i did ok [headbang]

·
Registered
106 Posts
If it were me I would just repair your motor. If you haven't already shop around for the parts. The timing belt you can get in a kit that would have the belt water pump tensioner with it. The timing tools you may search this forum for other options. The tools are a bolt/pin that screws in to hold the crankshaft from moving and a bar to hold the 2 camshafts inline. I believe there were some folks on here who had some alternative things they used.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I know this is a Focus Forums, but cant get anyone to answer me on Escape forums. I have a 2003 2.0L escape with a blow head gasket. If i decided not to pull the head and purchase a used engine, will one from the same year focus work? I know they use the same engine, but i cant find anywhere that talks interchanging them. Local salvage yards want twice the price for an escape engine vs a focus engine. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Again I apologize for it not being a focus specific question.

Thanks [cheers]
Well brought the car home today, never towed anything, certainly was an experience. The PO said it would spew coolant out of the side of the engine if it was driven, so i haven't tried taking it anywhere. I drained a little of the coolant and it looked like used old coolant, there was no oil in it, and no coolant in the oil. I let it idle for i would say 20 minutes and didn't see any coolant dipping or spewing from anywhere, is it possible it only does it while driving it? The plugs looks like normal old used plugs so i don't think it is burning it either. I have priced out the Head gasket kit, head bolts, timing set and the special timing tools and it would be about $210 for everything. I can get a used engine from a focus with 83k miles for $250 from a local salvage yard. What route would you guys take? As always thanks a heap from the responses, more than i have gotten on other forums

Perhaps they didn't like being lied to either?

If you're looking at buying something, just come out and say it. Claiming it's yours when it's not is misleading. As it stand now we've been answering on the premise that it has a blown head gasket and that you knew this because you owned it.
When that information is from a second party and you have no first hand knowledge, our responses are moot.

I would say the head gasket isn't blown. Quite rare for one to give way.

Other than that, I'm not offering any other opinions as I don't like being lied to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Perhaps they didn't like being lied to either?

If you're looking at buying something, just come out and say it. Claiming it's yours when it's not is misleading. As it stand now we've been answering on the premise that it has a blown head gasket and that you knew this because you owned it.
When that information is from a second party and you have no first hand knowledge, our responses are moot.

I would say the head gasket isn't blown. Quite rare for one to give way.

Other than that, I'm not offering any other opinions as I don't like being lied to.
Calm down there, I didn't lie to anyone.

I made payment in full to the close friend selling it, so rightfullly is has been mine for 7 days. It is quite common in the automotive world to make a payment in full before final delivery.

Every used car ever purchased one would have "no first knowledge," funny thing is I've seen plenty (and several myself) of used cars get fixed from suggestions from the community.

Thank you to all of you that contributed in a positive, helpful manner that is to be expected of a proper auto forum.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Two different stories doesn't do you many favors.

Just consider it lesson learned.

If it is the head gasket, just replace it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Two different stories doesn't do you many favors.

Just consider it lesson learned.

If it is the head gasket, just replace it.
I fail to see how there are two different stories, I claimed I owned it, and i do own it, doesn't matter if it was for 2 hours or 2 years. I never stated I was the original owner, i guess people just assumed I was. I was just looking for friendly advice and I got attacked. I hope all newcomers aren't treated this way.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
They are not and neither am I.

Take a breath.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yeah, calm down would help.

Think of it this way, someone read the thread through to see if there was anything they could add to help and found out at the end that the assumed situation didn't exist.

Waste of effort reading & thinking about your question, and they got grumpy about it.

Legal ownership doesn't matter, one person was just unhappy that you hadn't seen an actual problem before looking for help with a fix.

Start a new thread in General Tech Chat if you find a problem we can help with, this section for performance mods, isn't a good spot for that type question anyways.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts