Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. i have a couple questions a bout the Zetec engine cooling system:

1. has anyone used an all aluminum radiator on the Zetec with a regular radiator cap? if so which one?

2. has anyone been able to replace the stock plastic thermostat housing and thermostat cover unit with another one in metal? if so which one

3. has anyone been able to modify the expansion tank or use another one the uses a regular cap?

you can also write any comments on mods done to the system to make it perform better

hope you respond quickly. thanks guys

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cooling system seems to work very well all stock , what issues are you having ?

Tom

on my car its played a couple tricks on my like blowing off the expansion tank cap about 4 times. its just the whole suystem seems unreliable and awckward to me, from the plastic housings to the double hoses, to the expansion tank, to the plastic cap. it just seems like ford went through a lot of trouble in making a piece of crap. thats the only thing i hat about my car. i wish i could use a regular radiator with a cap and a regular coolant tank

·
slow
1,734 Posts
After working in the automotive radiator industry for a little bit, plastic tanks, and caps are par for the course with modern automotive cooling systems. Puerto Rico may be a pretty intense environment for cooling a car in general though. Is there another issue with your car?? What are you running for coolant? Is the general condition of the system OK? I know there is a perception of the focus engine running hot in operation...but blowing the expansion tank cap 4 times, seems like something abnormal is happening.

·
FF Affiliate
30,933 Posts
on my car its played a couple tricks on my like blowing off the expansion tank cap about 4 times. its just the whole suystem seems unreliable and awckward to me, from the plastic housings to the double hoses, to the expansion tank, to the plastic cap. it just seems like ford went through a lot of trouble in making a piece of crap. thats the only thing i hat about my car. i wish i could use a regular radiator with a cap and a regular coolant tank
I have abused the stock cooling system in many ways on the Focus and never had 1 issue , My guess is you have other issues like a bad head gasket or cracked head , the cap on the stock Focus is rated (dont remember what it is ) just like any other raid cap if you are blowing it off then you are doing it with combustion psi not from faulty/crappy factory parts

Tom

·
Registered
142 Posts
does the cap blow off at idle or stoped ^^x2 are the fans working?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the cap blowing off happened intermitently over a period of about a year. and hasnt happened for a while now. the car doesnt overheat it runs fine. if it where a head gasket or cracked something bad would have happened by now. it doesnt miss, sputters or anything, doesnt consume alot of gas, coolant or oil. the only issues ive had is that 4 times the cap blew off

i used the factory gold coolant but changed to regular prestone green precise mix. didnt notice any difference with changing the coolant.

when i changed the thermostat housing(the one that goes bolted to the head) i had to buy 4 of them because they all came defective and lleaked through the seem where the heater hoses atach

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
my thermostat housing was cracked and had to be replaced and it leaked about half a liter of coolant over the course of 3 days then sealed up good and stopped leaking all together. and as far as the cap blowing off are you sure you had it on there good and did you have that tank filled all the way to the top? if you did then theres the problem. when stuff gets hot it expands and if that tank is full the coolant has nowhere to expand to when it gets hot so it blows off the cap. ive never had that happen nor have i heard of it happening on a focus until now. check the threads on the cap itself and on the tank and make sure they arent damaged in any way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my thermostat housing was cracked and had to be replaced and it leaked about half a liter of coolant over the course of 3 days then sealed up good and stopped leaking all together. and as far as the cap blowing off are you sure you had it on there good and did you have that tank filled all the way to the top? if you did then theres the problem. when stuff gets hot it expands and if that tank is full the coolant has nowhere to expand to when it gets hot so it blows off the cap. ive never had that happen nor have i heard of it happening on a focus until now. check the threads on the cap itself and on the tank and make sure they arent damaged in any way.
i never overfill the tank or take it above MAX. after the first time it happenend i replaced the cap. and after the 3rd tiem i replaced the tank and cap again in fear the tank was the problem. the housing i have now started off leaking but i said f^^k it i cant keep replacing these things every week so i kept oit and after a few days stopped leaking. now if you look at it the seem is a little green but it doesnt leak.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i was thinking more along the lines of a regular or all aluminum radiator with a regular cap and a regular coolant raservoir

·
FF Affiliate
30,933 Posts
Those caps dont just blow off , you have something building spi and a lot of it for that to happen , find that and you wont have to be worring about changing everything

Tom

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
i agree with tom. i ahve also abused the stock stuff (autocrossing without any fans for a full sunny day, and it never skipped a beat..) you sir somehow have pressure building up in your cooling system. i want to say flush and rplace the coolant properly. and then get a compression check. also does the exhaust smell sweet and sticky, like good candy...

·
Registered
743 Posts
when my head gasket went bad i was having the same problems. my coolant tank looked like a balloon. I think Fal make an all aluminum radiator, there are metal coolant tanks. look thru the sponsors somebody should have them. everything else I never seen.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've had great luck with my cooling system on the Focus, really. 108k right now.

But, well, you know, things happen. I think it was last year that the valve cover gasket started weeping. So, now, finally, the thermostat housing is leaking. Just started a couple days ago.

And thanks for FF for pointing me immediately to the source.

But to put some of this thread back on track: is there a replacement thermostat housing made of a different material that might be a bit more durable? 108k is pretty good, really, but longer would be better. [8D]

·
Registered
982 Posts
You could have an aluminum radiator custom made, but you would still have the over pressure problem. Throwing parts at it is not going to fix the problem. Find out why, and you won't need the non-stock parts.

·
Registered
800 Posts
it just seems like ford went through a lot of trouble in making a piece of crap.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
yea they put egr's on our cars

the only problem iv had with my cooling system is this cracking

so i made this

1 - 20 of 21 Posts