Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long story short:
Car randomly dies at idle, small hesitation. 03 ZX3, 2 cylinders at 40-60PSI. Dropped oil in cylinders, they jumped to 100-120.

What year zetec can I use? I'd also like to possibly get an auto trans with it as well...

Just need to know what I have to hunt for in the junkyards/craigslist/etc.

Thanks!

·
Thats What She Said
10,664 Posts
00-04 are the years of the focus with a Zetec. not all 00-04's have Zetec. Have you used ROW52 app? You can search by vin #? There is a character in the VIN that specifies the engine. I have the ROW52 app and a few of the junk yards use it also. I have alerts set up such that when a vehicle with a specific vin # (with wild cards) i get a notification.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
00-04 are the years of the focus with a Zetec. not all 00-04's have Zetec. Have you used ROW52 app? You can search by vin #? There is a character in the VIN that specifies the engine. I have the ROW52 app and a few of the junk yards use it also. I have alerts set up such that when a vehicle with a specific vin # (with wild cards) i get a notification.
ok cool. So any 00-04 zetec motor works? That makes my search easier. Yeah I see the SPIs/Duratecs out there lol.

No I have not seen that app. Yeah the 9th digit should be engine code :). I usually go to Harrys in Pennsylvania.

Thanks!

·
Thats What She Said
10,664 Posts
Look at the app, it will let you know in the general area.

you can set a bunch of dont cares and such in the notification alerts. I have a standing alert for ant 2000 Zetec motor (for the 2000 Intake Manifolds) and also any SVT or any Zetec as well. So as soon as the junk yard adds it to their inventory I get a notice and can make my way to pull the parts I want.

·
Thats What She Said
10,664 Posts
Don't think so. Requires a different ECU to work and that ECU I don't think has any automatic transmission coding in it. You could likely get it working if you run an independent system. or wanted to get into custom work. Could run two ECU's I suppose.. The Throttle body position sensor wont have the right values for the transmission . would be a lot of work for a reason of "why would you want an Auto".

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't think so. Requires a different ECU to work and that ECU I don't think has any automatic transmission coding in it. You could likely get it working if you run an independent system. or wanted to get into custom work. Could run two ECU's I suppose.. The Throttle body position sensor wont have the right values for the transmission . would be a lot of work for a reason of "why would you want an Auto".
In laws focus that I took over. As requested to keep it auto. If I wanted a stick I'd just buy one that was stick haha

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
SVT engine would bolt in, and IF you got a deal on one might be worthwhile. But they're in relatively short supply with many using the std. zetec block for rebuilds (only oil squirters are different, and many block those off for racing builds anyways (a few had squirt nozzles drop out, losing some oil pressure).

It WOULD take modification, VCT delete with adjustable cam gears and an intake modification since the variable runner control/VCT isn't supported by any other PCM.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SVT engine would bolt in, and IF you got a deal on one might be worthwhile. But they're in relatively short supply with many using the std. zetec block for rebuilds (only oil squirters are different, and many block those off for racing builds anyways (a few had squirt nozzles drop out, losing some oil pressure).

It WOULD take modification, VCT delete with adjustable cam gears and an intake modification since the variable runner control/VCT isn't supported by any other PCM.
Makes sense thanks you sir.

The hunt beings for a zetec lol

·
Thats What She Said
10,664 Posts
Sedans can be Zetec, they are just more common the SPI due to cost as they where the cheaper one.

·
Thats What She Said
10,664 Posts
Stay stock... Unless you have more money you want to "invest". Best cams are stage 3 but require head work and different springs. Also need to have adjustable cam gears to go with it and dyno time to tune them. Even at that the head does not flow the best so should be on the look out for the FRPP head or spend $$ on getting one that has been CNC'ed. You can quickly jump down a big rabbit hole.

Best thing if you don't want to touch the head is to just get adjustable cam gears. People have been able to recover a fair amount of power through adjusting and optimizing the stock cams.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Stay stock... Unless you have more money you want to "invest". Best cams are stage 3 but require head work and different springs. Also need to have adjustable cam gears to go with it and dyno time to tune them. Even at that the head does not flow the best so should be on the look out for the FRPP head or spend $$ on getting one that has been CNC'ed. You can quickly jump down a big rabbit hole.

Best thing if you don't want to touch the head is to just get adjustable cam gears. People have been able to recover a fair amount of power through adjusting and optimizing the stock cams.
Figured as much. Nothing like old v8s where cam only can make a lot more power haha I guess these motors are pretty maxed out stock.

I've been reading on adjustable cam gears and I see a lot of posts saying they give like 0-3hp and aren't worth the effort.

·
Thats What She Said
10,664 Posts
I think it's worth it if your looking for tweaking. Need a tune and time on a dyno to make optimal choice.

People spend a lot more on parts that don't add any benefit but think it does. (i.e. TB spacers, under drive pulleys, ignition coils, wires, etc).

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think it's worth it if your looking for tweaking. Need a tune and time on a dyno to make optimal choice.

People spend a lot more on parts that don't add any benefit but think it does. (i.e. TB spacers, under drive pulleys, ignition coils, wires, etc).
The only benefit coil and wires have is to restore lost power not add horsepower haha. Butt Dyno after a MSD coil is the best...

Not looking for much tweaking on the Dyno for a ~130hp car haha. Just wanted to see if I could give it some more oomph. The SVT exhaust with a borla helped at least make it sound like it's trying [:D]

·
Thats What She Said
10,664 Posts
If you dont want to put your car on the dyno then adjustable cams wont be your thing. People have picked up as much as 5-10 WHP. the other most "easiest" mod that gives you more is the Full SVT exhaust w/ Tune. I think I was able to get around 5-6 WHP more in my tuning when I was on a dyno adjusting. It was fun, got some good dyno plots (did some 25+ runs) and was able to work with Tom on my Tune in TeamViewer mode and get adjustments on my Tune also as plots were sent in real time.

You said it, this is not a V8, so any changes to up the power with out going Forced Induction are going to be costly and take machining and some of it custom work.

There have been only a few that have gotten close to 200 WHP on a Zetec motor naturally aspirated. and they spent a lot of time and money on it.

get a good engine, 3k for a used kit, $500 in tuning you will have a 250 WHP turbocharged Focus.

Just a note on the coil and wires. Ford has done an amazing job on the ignition system on the Zetec Focus. Most who have large amounts of power can still use the stock coil and not have to worry about blow out of the spark. On a Zetec Motor in a Ford Focus replace the coil with OEM only when the old coil brakes and replace wires with what ever the part store carries that has lifetime replacement and just replace then for free every 3-4 years or as needed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts